Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Post your SNOW stories!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post your SNOW stories!

Story 1: There is an Audi in front of my house that's been hung up on a foot-tall berm of snow. The driver is trying to park in the same spot that I've been in and out of all week She's been stuck for at least the last half hour and some of my neighbors are assisting. It's like -10 with the wind chill here in Chicago.

Story 2: I live toward the middle of my block. There are two apartment buildings and then two houses and then my house. I park behind my house and I get there through the alley. We had a big snow a couple of years ago. It was more than a foot of snow in the alley and it drifted to waist high right after my house. I always keep the alley right behind my house shoveled and salted down to dry pavement. I pull out my car and then I can launch up to speed to power through the snow.

I heard all this revving behind my house and I saw three guys pushing a work van backwards through the alley. They made it down the alley as far as my house but couldn't go further because of the drift. Couldn't go backwards easily because it was more than a foot of loose snow. It took almost 30 minutes for those three guys to push the van as it spun backwards. Soon as they were done I pulled out my car and just went over the snow like it was dry pavement. One guy gave me a thumbs up and the other two were like WTF?

The Evo is the best car in the snow ever EVER!

Share your cool snow stories.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I went driving in my girlfriends car tonight (not an evo). Got stuck down town in a snow drift. dug myself out and slid into another thirty minutes after. Got towed out of that one by a mid sized toyota suv. All in all it was quite frustrating considering I'd been coming around corners sideways all morning in my evo. Never again.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We got ~16" in the last 48 hours. I had to drive my wife and children to the airport at 4:30AM (today) before the roads/highways were plowed. We took our Kia minivan shod with 4 snows. The highway was mostly empty at such an early hour on a Sunday, just a handful of folks traveling in SUVs at 25-35MPH on a roadway completely covered by the snow that fell during the night. We averaged ~50MPH in a FWD van, passing every single 4WD vehicle that came our way. The moral to the story? Get good snow tires.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by FJF
We got ~16" in the last 48 hours. I had to drive my wife and children to the airport at 4:30AM (today) before the roads/highways were plowed. We took our Kia minivan shod with 4 snows. The highway was mostly empty at such an early hour on a Sunday, just a handful of folks traveling in SUVs at 25-35MPH on a roadway completely covered by the snow that fell during the night. We averaged ~50MPH in a FWD van, passing every single 4WD vehicle that came our way. The moral to the story? Get good snow tires.
FWD>AWD lol, This is true. I have what I believe to be summer tires on my evo.
Backend kicks out sometimes while cornering, but I can easily correct it.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a story with pictures, you guys can fill in the words

Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Im in Maine. Go look at the weather.com. haha We are getting 2" of snow per hour... It started around 6am YESTERDAY .... and its still snowing!

^^^ New york guy knows what im talking about. lol What he got had moved to my area.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I also like my evo in the snow.

Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Its snowing more than it has ever snowed in Washington in a long long time right now. I let my dad drive me home from the hospital because I was drugged up earlier tonight and let me tell you.. he was impressed. He has more than 40 years of driving experience and he said that my car handled better than EVERY 4WD car/truck he has drove. I thought it was pretty cool. He was hitting 5-15 psi the whole way home (we were the only people on the roads).. And when he did get it side way (very hard to get side ways btw.. and im running all seasons) he could control it perfectly. I am very glad I bought my evo instead of the M3 I was seriously considering.

+1
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by importjake00
Its snowing more than it has ever snowed in Washington in a long long time right now. I let my dad drive me home from the hospital because I was drugged up earlier tonight and let me tell you.. he was impressed. He has more than 40 years of driving experience and he said that my car handled better than EVERY 4WD car/truck he has drove. I thought it was pretty cool. He was hitting 5-15 psi the whole way home (we were the only people on the roads).. And when he did get it side way (very hard to get side ways btw.. and im running all seasons) he could control it perfectly. I am very glad I bought my evo instead of the M3 I was seriously considering.

+1
i told u evo was the right choice
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Drove car into garage.

Closed garage.

Kept car far away from white death.

The end.

Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I lived in the east coast I would never drive my Evo in the winter. The salt they use ****s **** up bad.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by rane
Drove car into garage.

Closed garage.

Kept car far away from white death.

The end.

Old Dec 22, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i just find it out, My evo , wheel alignment for half slicks, and my ride height is not a winter- snow friendly set up
Not to mention my 265's a/s tires..

So i tried but i failed

Dont get me wrong is not bad , but to compere the skinnier tires, and the less aggressive wheel alignment- ride height, mine is sucks in snow.

Too bad.

But the Montero is fine
Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:21 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nightwalker
If I lived in the east coast I would never drive my Evo in the winter. The salt they use ****s **** up bad.
Most folks with serious cars in my part of the country don't drive them in the winter for that exact reason. There's just no way to avoid the salt.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

I don't really have a snow story yet, and hopefully I won't, but these Yokohama "summer only" tires are the worst tires I've ever had to deal with in my life. I knew they'd be bad, but I think the camaros I've owned before handle better in the snow than this car with these tires. If I don't almost come to a complete stop when turning onto another street, I'll just slid forward with the ABS going nuts and the car making no effort whatsoever to turn in the direction I'm steering.

I'm getting some all-seasons, or even winter tires soon before I kill myself.