Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Have to vent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Have to vent

I drop my Evo off today for its' first PitPass service, recall work and to have the brake fluid flushed.
I tell the service manager that I have my own fluid in the car.
He asks "Is it Mitsu brake fluid?"
I say "No it's Valvoline Synpower."
He says "That'll void your warranty."
I say "No it doesn't. It's up to Mitsu's spec."
He says "If it isn't Mitsu BF then it'll void your warranty"
I say "Just do it."

It was too early in the morning for me to get into it with him. After checking my tech manual, on page 35A-37 it says "Specificied Lubricant is DOT3 or DOT4". No where in there does it mention using Mitsu's brake fluid brand, which was the problem to begin with
Heck I'm at least letting THEM do it. Do you guys think I have any risk of 'voiding my warranty'? Although it would only void my brakes.

Also last night I dropped my beater car off at the dealer lot so I would have something to drive back to work this morning after I dropped off the Evo. I was in my Evo and my GF driving the beater. My salesman saw me and came out and asked if I had entered it in any 'events' yet.
Loaded question? Hell yes!
I immediately said no it spends most of it's time in the garage.

ASSHATS!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if they did try and give you any grief about it, you could easily fight it as long as its within recommended specs. Next thing you know they will be telling us we need Mitsu gas or something. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

BTW..anytime I have ever had my car at the dealership the service guys or whoever are asking"have you had it to the track yet" or How fast have you had it" etc..etc... I'm like' I've never had it over the speed limit. I think there trying to figure out our drivibg habits.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

they bull****, try a search for warrenty, i wish people would READ the warrenty threads, they can not just up and void it
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

I've read all the warranty threads before. It's just BS that we know more than they do about their own job. I just had to vent and now I feel a little better. Still nervous that morons are working on my car rightnow.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

You shouild tell em you entered it in an event.

The worst service ever by a dealer contest and it won 1st place!!and congratulate the ***** for being the best fu(kw4d.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

well i make sure a certified evo tech works on your evo, i have 1 mechanic at the mitsu dealership, that is assigned to my car, they have 2 evo techs, and assign evos to them only...my guy has 20 years mitsu experience and is a certified evo tech, so... i trust him, real great guy...
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

LOLOLOL
Certified Evo Tech!!!!
I had one do my clutch line, he did it and it had 3 inches of play or better, and engaged about an in from the floor. Gave the car back to me , I told him it wasnt right, he said yes it was bleed right.

Took it in the next day and had a regular mehanic work on it, said there was soo much air in the line it shot out.

So much for this certified EVO BS.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

well i guess it depends on where you take it. i blead mine my self....like i said he has 20 years of experience... so i trust him... but i guess since he ****ed up, all other evo techs are no good.......just like hte clutch issue or decel noise, if one car has it, they all must be ****ed up right
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I honestly don't understand why in the hell the dealer would be so eager to "void" your warranty... Seriously, what the hell are they thinking?

If they actually could and they actually did void my warranty for some reason, they would never see my car again, and obviously never make another dime off me. On the other hand, if they go to bat for me with the corporate guys, I will be more than happy to give them all kinds of business, warranty or non-warranty. And even on warranty work, the dealer makes money. They get reimbursed from the parent corporation.

But for me personally, I don't put much value in the factory warranty -- modern cars are just too damn reliable. I've bought three new cars prior to the Evo; two of them I bought the extended warranty. And two of those cars had high performance turbo engines. And I never had any substantial warranty claims on any of them -- nothing that I wouldn't have been comfortable paying out of pocket. I just wish that you could buy a new car without a warranty at all, but with perhaps a $1000 or $1500 price break or whatever. I'd jump at that offer. I bought Hoosier tires for autocrossing -- no warranty, but who the hell cares; if they had to warranty their tires, they'd have to raise prices, and Hoosiers are expensive enough as it is.

The only time I took my Evo into the dealer, I told them that I needed the car fixed ASAP because I had an autocross coming up. The fact that I autocross my car is plastered all over the Internet -- no sense trying to pretend that I only drive to church and back. If the day comes that I have a substantial warranty claim (IMO unlikely), and the dealer won't go to bat for me -- I'll happily give my maintenance and repair business to a local performance shop, plus I will feel a lot more willing to go hog-wild with modifications, taking full responsibility for anything I screw up.

Oh well, enough venting... But when I saw the subject of the topic, I thought I'd join in.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just like they told me if I didn't buy the Pitpass i'd loose my warranty... I told them to go get their owners manual and show me where it states the oil has to be changed by mitsu or for that part a service shop.... they could find nothing
Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

warranty

Feels good to vent at least, mayhem!

As you know, as long as the fluid is up to spec, you have NO worries. You do need to "Document" what was used, and it's worth having the service guy initial off what was used. Keep receipts.

Furthermore, unless the dealer can "prove" that any damage to your car under warranty is the "direct result" of any modification, it is ILLEGAL for them to not cover your warranty (consumer group laws are good for something).

Thus, melted piston from boost of 2 bar is one thing, but busted master cylinder from stereo upgrade or exhaust would be another--you get the idea.

Worth talking to the G.M. at the dealer about and perhaps reporting a bad comment to Mitsu USA. The dealers DO have to answer up to the top!

Cheers
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Now I'm losing my cool. I called the service center to ask if they were done yet. He said yes, but they didn't flush the brake system because "they don't have the tools" YEAH RIGHT!!! He also said that he talked to Mitsu corp and it WILL void the warranty. Also BS! I left a voicemail with the general manager. We'll be having words.

does anyone have that Mitsubishi corporation toll free number?

Last edited by mayhem; Sep 11, 2003 at 12:04 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Would anyone else leave their car at a dealership for work if the first thing out their mouth was void your warranty?

I wouldn't even bother with a response, just take your money to a reputable shop.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to do it myself now. I was just being lazy and figured i would have the dealer do it for me. I wonder if i can sell the pitpass back prorated or something, because i'm done with these guys.
It's just truly sad that we all have to go through this crap.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

1-888-MITSU2002

Quick Reply: Have to vent