Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ahhh... Damn snow and ice !!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh... Damn snow and ice !!!

so it snowed like 6 inches on friday here in nyc .... the next day it rains and drops down to 15 degrees turning everything to ice ..... i go to take the ice off my windshield and i find a 6 inch crack on my windshield !!!

Anybody elses car got damaged due to snow and ice ??
Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

thats no good, never heard of that happening from ice. does your insurance cover glass without a deductable?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds really strange, hmm...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are you sure you didnt crack it when you were removing the ice? It sounds dumb but I could imagine the slightest bit of pressure when you were trying to break the ice off could have done that.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

damn Leo i saw ur evo yesterday when i went to buy stuff for my parents, i didnt notice a crack on the window.. i have never experienced this in all my time driving and dealing with my parent's cars. seems pretty odd to me. where exactly is the crack?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow that is incredible and really sucks! I hope you have $0 deductible glass coverage.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Did you pour hot water on it and then scrape it off? That will definitely cause it to crack. I can also imagine that since you're in NYC, a salt truck came by and pelted your car with salt. Other than that, I can't see any explanation besides pure Vandalism.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Ice (especially when first freezing) is incredibly strong and has been known to break/mangle things a lot harder than glass so its possible.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

stress crack? lol.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
Did you pour hot water on it and then scrape it off? That will definitely cause it to crack. I can also imagine that since you're in NYC, a salt truck came by and pelted your car with salt. Other than that, I can't see any explanation besides pure Vandalism.
where he parks salt trucks go nowhere near it lol...maybe its vandalism or what the other person said...pouring hot water on the window can cause it too....

vandalism maybe...where he lives there's a bunch of ricer kids who live around the neighborhood.....maybe got a little jealous?

ice theory= highly possible cuz its still a pretty busy area even at night since there's a dunkin donuts and a 24 hour supermarket right up the block. i was breaking off the ice off my mom's car tho nothing happened to it o.O
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

I cracked my windshield when i was changing my windshield wipers, i took the wipers off and i let go of the metal arm and it hit the windshield and cracked it. Thank god it was my other car, not the evo.. i think its the weather, or someone thru something at your windshield..
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
i think your right !!!! it was pelted by a damn grain of salt, I see the little chip right on top of the crack !!! oh yeah , the crack also got bigger !!! its on the top right corner, so i try to ignore it for now lolz...
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

if you already had a very small, not noticable, crack in the window you would have a problem. next it rained and started freezing and expanding the crack. if expanding water can destroy our roads here in minnesota then it can easily split your windshield.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

This also happened to two of my friends. This was before they scraped the windshield or done anything to remove the ice.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:35 AM

damn ... where can i get a new windshield.....imma try the junkyards by shea stadium R.I.P. ...... go mets lolz....