Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

where to put jack and stands?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
People, seriously now, do not use the side rails (notched areas) unless you want to severely damage your car's unibody.
I use the side rails and they still look new because my floor jack has a rubber pad of the saddle. You can use the sides as a jacking point as long as you have something to cushion the side rails. If you don't, that's how they get damaged.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used the side rails with a 2x4 piece of wood to avoid screwin em up...However I read a post a while back about this...(Credit to the guy that made this)
Now to find the time to build one for myself...
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 19DB794
I use the side rails and they still look new because my floor jack has a rubber pad of the saddle. You can use the sides as a jacking point as long as you have something to cushion the side rails. If you don't, that's how they get damaged.
This is still not a good idea at all, unless your rubber pad has a slot in it to allow the rail to slide in between the pad. Putting all that pressure on a thin piece of sheet metal over and over again over time WILL bend and warp it eventually. Trust me I've seen it happen on Evo's over and over again. Its not pretty. This is the incorrect way of jacking.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
So then what is a proper way to jack an Evo?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by legato
I've used the side rails with a 2x4 piece of wood to avoid screwin em up...However I read a post a while back about this...(Credit to the guy that made this)
Now to find the time to build one for myself...
Dang, that's pretty cool. I should have done that. I use the Tomioka Racing super slopes to be able to get a jack under the car, I love them.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laxman
So then what is a proper way to jack an Evo?
Jack the front end up by the front cross member. That is the front OEM factory jacking point. If you must jack from the sides there is a flat spot near the front control arms on either side just inward from the sheet metal side rails. You will see that there is a hole punched out through the unibody in this location. ALWAYS use a wooden block, rubber pad, hockey puck, etc.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

How-to thread FTW

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...loor-jack.html

There's a lot of discussion there on the best/right way to do this, and pix. In short, use the front crossmember & rear diff. I also like the suspension pick-up points.