Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winter car wash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol i don't even care if it's busy there. i take my time and even dry my car in the stall. sometimes i'll even do all my windows inside and out with invisible glass while i'm in there.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:04 PM

Its good to wash the car but you cant expect to much if you dont put it in.. I think its a must to get the underneath of the car washed to.. Now CT swithched to liquid salt so i guess its much worse then the other salt sand mix. Whatever, a few more months and it will be sunny...LOL
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

im a detialer and i wash my evo a ton probably twice a week or more .... my favorite thing to do is powerwash under body powerwashing cars works really well just hosing it off not so much and the best way is to wash it with a wash mit and dry off with a shammy that is by far the best
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gumby56
... dry off with a shammy that is by far the best
You may want to try a waffle weave microfiber towel - safer for the paint and more effective.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

microfiber anything dont absorb water just push is around untill it evaporates and the only thing bad about shammys is drying off the car with a water squeegy first if you only use a shammy and that has nothing to do with shammy ... itll never hurt the paint ever as long as you wash the car well and clay if needed ... ive been detailing for 6 years and only the best is acceptable were i work i was audis prosche and new cars everyday and have A. never dryed a car off with a micro and B. never hurt a cars paint with a shammy ....
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:12 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

microfiber anything dont absorb water just push is around untill it evaporates and the only thing bad about shammys is drying off the car with a water squeegy first if you only use a shammy and that has nothing to do with shammy ...
Wait, what? What do you mean MF won't absorb water? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen posted on this forum, and that's saying something. FYI, a waffle weave absorbs 7-10 times its weight in water. Try one sometime.

itll never hurt the paint ever as long as you wash the car well and clay if needed ... ive been detailing for 6 years and only the best is acceptable were i work i was audis prosche and new cars everyday and have A. never dryed a car off with a micro and B. never hurt a cars paint with a shammy ....
Given gravity of the claim above, you'll have to forgive me for not paying attention.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

ok i appolojize whats a waffle weave i saw microfiber sorry i microfiber is a soft towel we use to wipe wax off ... i guess we both need forgiving lol
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:45 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

ok i appolojize whats a waffle weave i saw microfiber sorry i microfiber is a soft towel we use to wipe wax off ... i guess we both need forgiving lol
<sigh> A waffle weave is a micorfiber towel, Soft, fluffy microfiber is (err...) microfiber, as well, and it also absorbs water like the proverbial sponge. I cited WW, because it's my preference. Quite a few folks serious about their paint use a longer weave for the same purpose. Have you visited Autopia.org? Have a look and see how modern detailing works and I'm not trying to sound condescending. Really, it sounds like you work for a place that some of us try to avoid by writing "no paint prep" into new car sales contracts. Again, I'm not trying to be rude; it's just the truth of it.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
<sigh> A waffle weave is a micorfiber towel, Soft, fluffy microfiber is (err...) microfiber, as well, and it also absorbs water like the proverbial sponge. I cited WW, because it's my preference. Quite a few folks serious about their paint use a longer weave for the same purpose. Have you visited Autopia.org? Have a look and see how modern detailing works and I'm not trying to sound condescending. Really, it sounds like you work for a place that some of us try to avoid by writing "no paint prep" into new car sales contracts. Again, I'm not trying to be rude; it's just the truth of it.
I also agree that a waffle weave mf towel is better than a shammy. They actually work better than shammy imo, although they are expensive.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:17 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 19DB794
... although they are expensive.
Yup, that's definitely a drawback. Good 24x36 WW run ~$20 a pop. Once in a while one can get lucky and grab some on closeout. A couple of years ago, an online (detailing) store was replacing its stock of MFs and I was able to score very nice full-size WWs for ~$10 each. Target and K-mart sells decent WWs - not reference quality, but very good, nonetheless.

For anyone interested, there's a recommended microfiber thread on the detailing forum.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a 16x24 ww mf drying towell and it cost me $20 but I must say, it is the best towel ive ever used for drying cars. I have about 3-4 ww mf towels and its the best one I have. I'll probably order some more in the spring when I buy my PC or UDM.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 205 Likes on 121 Posts
I just tried ONR today, and I'm frickin amazed! I wish I would have learned about this a long time ago! It just dissolves the dirt and from what I can tell, it doesn't mar the paint which is great! Obviously I can't get the underbody, but I'm more concerned about the paint during the winter! I'll probably still go to the car wash just go get the underbody every week or so!
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:12 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ill_take_one
I just tried ONR today, and I'm frickin amazed! I wish I would have learned about this a long time ago! It just dissolves the dirt and from what I can tell, it doesn't mar the paint which is great!
Agreed, ONR is terrific. If you're concerned about paint marring, you can do an ONR pre-soak by diluting ONR per QD directions and using a garden sprayer to to mist the paint. Well, you can just use a household hand sprayer, obviously, but the big boy is a lot more fun.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 205 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF

Agreed, ONR is terrific. If you're concerned about paint marring, you can do an ONR pre-soak by diluting ONR per QD directions and using a garden sprayer to to mist the paint. Well, you can just use a household hand sprayer, obviously, but the big boy is a lot more fun.
Excellent idea!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just rub it until you lose some paint and you can say its customlast time i was in omaha...it was sooo hot i blacked outsnow is good for your car

Quick Reply: Winter car wash