Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winter car wash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Within 24 hrs of a bad storm, I wash my car, last time the water was freezing upon contact with the car- but I had to get the salt off of it. CT has some of the worst salt use in the nation, it's really bad here. I didn't realize I may be harming more by doing that, but man, getting that salt off sure seems like it's a better idea...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I'm going to have to tuff it out and try to hand wash my car. It will suck but I need to get some of that junk off. Car came with that 3M protection stuff and it looks pretty good but I noticed it was starting to peel on one of the sides when I got the car =/ Don't think a power washer is going to help.

And ^
Too hot coming from SoCal? Midwest does suck though. Get the nice -10 to 100 extremes in a single year. A lot of places are colder and a lot are hotter but the wild yearly temperatures are fun.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:45 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gnar-evo
Within 24 hrs of a bad storm, I wash my car, last time the water was freezing upon contact with the car- but I had to get the salt off of it. CT has some of the worst salt use in the nation, it's really bad here. I didn't realize I may be harming more by doing that, but man, getting that salt off sure seems like it's a better idea...
You're probably referring to my comment on the first page, so let me expand it a bit. Clearly, it's better not to have the salt on the paint. The difficulty lies in getting rid of the salt, while avoiding the negative effects of the process. If the car is rinsed thoroughly before the wash, and I mean thoroughly, and even more thoroughly afterwards, if all the excess water is picked-up from the door jambs, trunk, engine bay - did I mention the part about rinsing - everything will work out well. In the OP's case, he used a power washer to try and knock-off the salt; it's a horrible idea for the reasons that I described earlier.

The 2-bucket method holds a huge advantage when dealing with salt, and the choice of mitt/pad is crucial, as we're interested in trapping the salt in the soft fibers of the mitt/pad and leaving it in the rinse bucket. If anyone wants to know more about this, please see the links on the first page. Too, a high-lubricity soap is very important. Meguiars Gold Class is good OTC option.

To kill two birds with one stone, a product like Duragloss' Aquawax can be sprayed on a wet surface, and the car can be dried as usual, while gaining a booster shot of protection. This will not replace winter prep that typically involves protecting the paint with a very durable sealant/wax, but the AW will help help that protection last longer, while adding to the look of the car.

To say it again for emphasis, rinsing is key. Begin rinsing with the roof using a shower-like stream, rinse during the wash, and rinse, rinse, rinse after you're finished. Once the car is dried, grab a utility MF and go over every surface to pick-up the remaining water.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 30, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:22 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

Hand-wash is always best. It is nice outside today so I went out and hand cleaned the Evo. In the winter months, I try my best to keep it clean (avoiding mud pits, salt mounds, puddles, etc) so the wash will not be so difficult the next time I do it. When the temperature is very low, I tend to go to the car wash and spray the car off with water and soap. It does a relatively decent job when that is the only option.

Hand-wash is always best though.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

its also nice to have high pressured guns and all the soap someone could dream of to get it clean. thats the plus of working at a carwash
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:04 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N3VO
its also nice to have high pressured guns and all the soap someone could dream of to get it clean. thats the plus of working at a carwash
Please don't use a high-pressure gun on your car; it's only a matter of time until it causes damage. Too, car wash soap is very harsh and its quality is dubious. Spend ~$7 on a 1/2 gallon of Gold Class at Walmart.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:07 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKD
When the temperature is very low, I tend to go to the car wash and spray the car off with water and soap. It does a relatively decent job when that is the only option.
It sounds like you use a foam gun. It's a good way to go, given the circumstances.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

i think i am gonna give ONR a try
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:13 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
i think i am gonna give ONR a try
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
You won't be sorry and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. While you're at it, grab some waffle weave MFs, and well as some utility MFs. Shoot me a PM if you'd like some recommendations. Even better, post the question on the detailing forum. Too, do a quick Youtube search for instructional videos, if you haven't already. If you buy from Autogeek, shoot me a note for a discount code.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

I'm currently using ONR on my car during the winter. I went ahead last winter and bought the big gallon jug. I usually go to the car wash to spray off my car before using ONR rinse. And the good thing about it, you don't use much ONR, 1 gallon water to a cap full of ONR. Going through the touchless wash is pretty good but it's $$$(usually upwards of 8-10 bucks for the top of the line wash) and it usually does not get my car as clean. Now I just rinse for like 1-2 dollars then drive home and do my ONR. My car is just as shiny as during the summer until I drive it (very frustrating during the winter).
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You won't be sorry and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner. While you're at it, grab some waffle weave MFs, and well as some utility MFs. Shoot me a PM if you'd like some recommendations. Even better, post the question on the detailing forum. Too, do a quick Youtube search for instructional videos, if you haven't already. If you buy from Autogeek, shoot me a note for a discount code.
ygpm. thanks again.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

If you really just wanna get away with spraying it off use the pre-soak let it sit for a few seconds after its all covered then use the high pressure to spray it off Works great on my black evo
Old Jan 1, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Just hand wash it..Im in jersey and it def gets cold here but I just go to the store and get those big yellow dish gloves and put some hand warmers in them and the hands are fine lol....I look goofy as all hell but they work...Ugly yellow momma gloves ftw lol...
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure that if theres tons of salt around where you live... make sure to wash with nothing but cold water because hot water makes the salt corrosive property happen faster
Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OwnedEvo10
Just hand wash it..Im in jersey and it def gets cold here but I just go to the store and get those big yellow dish gloves and put some hand warmers in them and the hands are fine lol....I look goofy as all hell but they work...Ugly yellow momma gloves ftw lol...
ha thats a good idea. it get cold here in maryland too. luckly last week it was like 60 degrees for a couple days, so i washed mine then. now its back down to the 30's.. i dont understand the weather around here

Quick Reply: Winter car wash