Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winter car wash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter car wash

Well finally a good day to wash car. Got 5 inches of snow 1-2 weeks ago and it was a freakish 55 yesterday so a TON of it melted. Today it's a high of 30 which is good since there's no more melted snow to be flung up at my car. Decided to wash it then. I put in $5 and went to work. Sprayed it and it looked great. Went and ran some errands and took it home and it looked like ****. I forgot in the winter, as much as I really really hate it, I have to use the brush and give the car a good scrub down. All the white dirt marks came back after it dried off. My last car it was fine but this one it really shows since it's black. It looks a lot better but definitely pisses me off that I spent $5 and it still looks dirty on the sides like that. Sucky that I just got this car a month ago right as the winter junk has started. Still have another 25 inches of snow to go for this season too (seasonal average)
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
For the winter the main thing is to just get the salt off the car. I try to get mine washed at least every other week. I always get the wash that has the underbody sprayers to rinse the undercarriage off. It is annoying leaving the wash and being dirty by the time you get home though!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:00 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
As you found out, simply spraying a car doesn't do much. I'd suggest using a MF/cotton/sheepskin mitt/pad and the 2-bucket method. Scroll down to see some examples:

http://www.autogeek.net/washing.html

While you're there, have a look at the car washing tutorial. Your black paint will thank you.

Edit: Here is a link:

http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html

Last edited by FJF; Dec 27, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
As you found out, simply spraying a car doesn't do much. I'd suggest using a MF/cotton/sheepskin mitt/pad and the 2-bucket method. Scroll down to see some examples:

http://www.autogeek.net/washing.html

While you're there, have a look at the car washing tutorial. Your black paint will thank you.

Edit: Here is a link:

http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html
Sorry. Love my car but no way in hell am I going to hand wash this when winter temps get as low as -10 (last week). Spending that much time washing it in a snow filled environment is sort of pointless. It's dirty as soon as I get home. I'm just trying to get the major stuff off, which I didn't with just hand sprayer.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:58 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blast83
Sorry. Love my car but no way in hell am I going to hand wash this when winter temps get as low as -10 (last week). Spending that much time washing it in a snow filled environment is sort of pointless. It's dirty as soon as I get home. I'm just trying to get the major stuff off, which I didn't with just hand sprayer.
Now I'm glad that I took the time to look for and post those links in hopes of helping you. Your appreciation is self-evident.

You may be better-off not washing it at all. By introducing a water spray to the surface salt, you're allowing it to make its way into all crevices easier that it would have otherwise. You're probably causing more damage to the paint by scraping the salt against its surface with the spray, too, in lieu of just leaving it alone. Just wait until you see the black paint under direct sunlight. Regardless, once the car subjected to prolonged exposure to salt, it's fuvcked. The paint is the least of your worries. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 27, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you but please don't use the brush on your car unless you wanna destroy the paint. I simply go to the self serve booths and rinse the car, including wheel wells and the underside. I then go through the touchless car was and wash the underside again and then I just let the machine wash and dry the paint.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

*edit* double post. Also if you wash your car the way I do it gets pretty clean. I must say, the method I use pretty much gets all the dirt and salt off. I also have a dark colored car and I usually find 1 or 2 spots that are dirty and they're tiny.

Last edited by 19DB794; Dec 27, 2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

*edit* wow triple post. My blackberry is being stupid.

Last edited by 19DB794; Dec 27, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i haven't washed my car for 2 month now, my car is so dirty, good thing they don't use salt here. tomorrow is gonna be upper 40's, finally get to wash my car!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

working at a car wash is a nice perk as i get a free wash every week, the dirt could be from the door jams and trunk? i see that sometimes when its really dirty a car will come back because that dirt seeps out from under those spots after its dried.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N3VO
working at a car wash is a nice perk as i get a free wash every week, the dirt could be from the door jams and trunk? i see that sometimes when its really dirty a car will come back because that dirt seeps out from under those spots after its dried.
This is exactly why I wipe down those areas after washing my car. It also goes along with paying attention to the small details.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 19DB794
I'm in the same boat as you but please don't use the brush on your car unless you wanna destroy the paint. I simply go to the self serve booths and rinse the car, including wheel wells and the underside. I then go through the touchless car was and wash the underside again and then I just let the machine wash and dry the paint.

The wipe down I take care of in my heated garage. Car wash is a block away from my house.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

You might want to visit a full service wash. Pay extra to have them prep it well before it goes through the tunnel and get the undercarraige!

Plus, they do all the wiping! Touchless washes cannot get off the grime layer that even the best chemicals can't eliminate! The paint has to be wiped down!

Last edited by ~BoOsTeR~; Dec 28, 2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

i just bring a bucket to the do-it-yourself wash. maybe a clay bar sometimes. it's nice the wash here in brooklyn park, mn is only $1 and 50 cent tuesdays. also finish up witha trip through a touchless then a spra and wipe with a quick detailer spray when you get home.

also it does suck all the full service places around here don'thave touchless so i won't go there

Last edited by prodigalsunn; Dec 28, 2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i usually wait for a warm enough day so i can take my time but i will use the brush but i will take about a min of cleaning it off first to all the crap is off of it and do a decent was nothing crazy tho than if its not to packed at the wash ill had dry it there

Quick Reply: Winter car wash