Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Worried Should I Be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tnnrx7
You have the best handling you can get to avoid stupid people and the power to back it up. As long as you are a good driver, and can avoid stupid ones, you'll be fine bro
True, the Evo has amazing handling and power. But just cause the car handles better than others doesn't mean that you're gonna be able to avoid accidents. You might overestimate the car's capabilities, drive stupid and get yourself into stupid situations. So it's sort of a double-edged sword. If you're a smart driver and won't start screwing around because you have a faster car, then yes, the increased handling is to your advantage.

As safe of a driver I am (I don't screw around), my driving behavior is completely different between driving my Evo and my Lexus RX400h.

You also have to consider situations where handling and/or power aren't gonna get you out of that situation. For instance, last April I was on a street and there were a few cars ahead of me stopped. I stopped behind them and there was traffic approaching, and one guy wasn't paying attention and nearly rear-ended me at about 35 mph. The only reason I didn't get hit was because he swerved off onto the grass off the side of the road. I couldn't move out of the way because my car was stopped and there was traffic in the other lanes, so I was just sitting there watching him in my rearview mirror with nothing to do.

Last edited by al3xx; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by al3xx
True, the Evo has amazing handling and power. But just cause the car handles better than others doesn't mean that you're gonna be able to avoid accidents. You might overestimate the car's capabilities, drive stupid and get yourself into stupid situations. So it's sort of a double-edged sword. If you're a smart driver and won't start screwing around because you have a faster car, then yes, the increased handling is to your advantage.

As safe of a driver I am (I don't screw around), my driving behavior is completely different between driving my Evo and my Lexus RX400h.

You also have to consider situations where handling and/or power aren't gonna get you out of that situation. For instance, last April I was on a street and there were a few cars ahead of me stopped. I stopped behind them and there was traffic approaching, and one guy wasn't paying attention and nearly rear-ended me at about 35 mph. The only reason I didn't get hit was because he swerved off onto the grass off the side of the road. I couldn't move out of the way because my car was stopped and there was traffic in the other lanes, so I was just sitting there watching him in my rearview mirror with nothing to do.
That's why I said if your a good driver too. Obviously it doesn't eliminate the possibility, but it does help.

And we were talking about side impact, not rear end. When you get rear ended, that just means you get a JDM bumper
Old Jan 4, 2009, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

buy the X!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 04:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
can't lease evo's btw...you didn't mention if you planned on buying or leasing
Old Jan 4, 2009, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
can't lease evo's btw...
Huh!?!?

Perhaps you meant that you can't lease an EVO through Mitsubishi. That could be true.

However, there are a lot of private leasing companies. With enough upfront cash, you can lease just about anything, new or used.

Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

so ur considering an evo because of the crash test rating...ur prolly the first one to ever do that lol
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Side impacts, regardless of the vehicle you reside in, are more lethal than front and rear collisions. Had a friend - who is a fireman/ems- came up to a big body (s-class) benz that had been side swiped by a unloaded pickup truck [driven by an illegal (no license, no insurance, no green card)], and upon getting up to the windows of the Benz, all passengers appeared to be asleep, some even had no external signs of injury. However, because the human neck is more flexible back to forward, rather than side to side, the instant side impact g loads of impact caused their necks to break, and thus, they were pronounced dead while still being buckled in their vehicle.

Whiplash is basically the last step before complete paralysis occurs.

Keep in mind, there is VERY little between you and the front bumper of someone else's vehicle if you get hit on the side. Literally, in most 4g63 powered EVOs, there is the external door skin, the single metal tube safety beam (crash bar/beam), and your interior panelling. So yes, the EVO is not very good in side impact, but unless your real concern is safety, the differences between subarus is not THAT much. However, compare the EVO to a more up scale vehicle, such as a benz, and then you might really feel worried. Just pray you never get side swiped by a SMART car, which uses no crumple zones in its design, and instead relies on the car it's plowing into, and ITS crumple zones, to absorb the main portion of the impact. In the EVO, you could probably consider yourself a part of the crumple zones in the case a SMART car hits you (and even then, its size (the smart car) lends itself a very low enteria (low energy) impact).

Either way, you could own a Lotus Elise, in which case you're literally wearing the car, or maybe even an S2000, or a Ford Gremlin (i think its ford), where impacts of any kind can threaten your life. Believe it, or not, one determining factor for me purchasing the EVO over the STi, was that there is overall more free space around the driver, than there is with a STi, meaning rather than have my body be crushed by the impact, it might just push my body.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:31 AM

I wouldnt worry, Just be a safe driver and stay alert. The evo can manuver quicker than most cars Ive been in so keep that in mind.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

nothing to worry about

Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

yeah I was also worried about safety especially when I read in the manual that unless the left and right side of the car impact at the same time then the air bags won't go off. I just laughed and realized if I crash the car it better be into a wide flat brick wall. In the case of a side impact better hope its on the passenger side. lol
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
nothing to worry about

It all depends on what/ how you hit and how hard you hit it.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

^ +1

It really does matter on the mass of the object and it's speed and probably a million other variables.

Picking a car with a higher side impact rating is more false security than anything. When you're number is up....it's up. You can't delay the inevitable.

Some times you need more luck than security to survive a side impact....or any impact for that matter!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

There may be a million different variables that go into a crash but that doesn't mean you can't control some of the most important. That type of reasoning is akin to allowing your wife to drink during pregnancy because a million different variables affect how the fetus develops.

The fact is you can minimize your risk of being injured or killed in a side impact crash or any crash for that matter. Pick a car with side airbags, reinforced doors, that is modern and well-engineered, etc. The problem is that those are inversely related to performance. Most people on this board have chosen performance over a lot of things, including safety, practicality, cost, etc., so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the advice you're getting here.

Look at the test findings. The driver has "high head injury measures" and likely "internal organ injuries." There's your answer. If you want to be safer, buy a car with "low head injury measures" and a lower likelihood of "internal organ injuries." Or, like most on this board have chosen, bear a higher risk of injury in a crash but enjoy the benefit of driving one of the most exhilarating cars ever made.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by modetm
There may be a million different variables that go into a crash but that doesn't mean you can't control some of the most important. That type of reasoning is akin to allowing your wife to drink during pregnancy because a million different variables affect how the fetus develops.

The fact is you can minimize your risk of being injured or killed in a side impact crash or any crash for that matter. Pick a car with side airbags, reinforced doors, that is modern and well-engineered, etc. The problem is that those are inversely related to performance. Most people on this board have chosen performance over a lot of things, including safety, practicality, cost, etc., so I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the advice you're getting here.

Look at the test findings. The driver has "high head injury measures" and likely "internal organ injuries." There's your answer. If you want to be safer, buy a car with "low head injury measures" and a lower likelihood of "internal organ injuries." Or, like most on this board have chosen, bear a higher risk of injury in a crash but enjoy the benefit of driving one of the most exhilarating cars ever made.
I think we all understand those things are important and make good sense but, most have us have accepted the risk vs. reward ratio. I mean if you are that worried why not just wear a helmet while driving which ever car you choose for an added layer of safety? You can take it to either extreme. Somehow thousands of people manage to drive Evos and survive every day.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't be a *****. At least you don't ride a sports bike, there isn't even a seat belt on one of those. People drive those things to their very limits every day and survive, and they are MUCH faster and harder to control than a 3300 lb AWD car with only 300 hp. If you are honestly that scared about a crash, have a custom 6 point roll cage welded in and always wear a full race harness and full face helmet when you drive. And on top of that, stuff the interior with fluffy pillows.

In all seriousness, it all comes down to your own personal driving skill. If you have a lot of experience with powerful cars, then you should be fine. If not, then you shouldn't go overboard with the speed until you feel comfortable. Just don't do anything stupid until you feel very comfortable with the car and its handling characteristics.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Apr 27, 2009 at 02:47 PM.