Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Worried Should I Be?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Worried Should I Be?

So my lease is up in about 11 months. Ive been around subarus for a while and they all have amazing crash test ratings.

Now i wana try something new and considering a 05-06 Evo. They have good front and rear crash test ratings, but for side impact...its scary.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah search around it's been discussed many of times.

PS. The wing will always survive so you have that to look forward to.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

im not worried about the wing lol

Im more worried about being T-boned from some dumbass and getting really messed up.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I know a lot of people will say roll cage, but how does a roll cage help for side impacts?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Umm well I wouldn't even consider putting a roll cage in my car unless I planned on tracking it. Just not something you would want to do to a DD. I doubt anyone will recommend it because if you get in an accident your pretty prone to hitting your head or something of that nature on the roll cage bars, padded or not. That's one of the reasons why we wear helmets on the track.

Bottom line is, the Evo doesn't have very good side impact ratings. If you don't feel safe with that, then you should get something else
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor

Buy something with side curtain airbags.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

i would def do your research before doing the roll cage idea though... by adding a roll cage you change the crash characteristics of the car and can end up actually BEING liable for someones injury/death; plus everything Tnnrx7 said
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

but i dont want another STI...lol
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7
PS. The wing will always survive so you have that to look forward to.
I don't think he's seen any of the crash threads, otherwise he would have gotten that one.

Just FYI, those pictures are of an ES/LS/OZ, but crash ratings are extremely similar between us and the Evo.

I wouldn't even worry about the crash ratings too much, I mean I know there are bad drivers in the world, you just have to know how to avoid them.

You could always go with the Subarus you were talking about if you feel the Evo is too unsafe. They are very similar performance and price wise and most of the decisions to go one way or the other were due to the buyer's personal preference.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eehjay
I don't think he's seen any of the crash threads, otherwise he would have gotten that one.

Just FYI, those pictures are of an ES/LS/OZ, but crash ratings are extremely similar between us and the Evo.

I wouldn't even worry about the crash ratings too much, I mean I know there are bad drivers in the world, you just have to know how to avoid them.

You could always go with the Subarus you were talking about if you feel the Evo is too unsafe. They are very similar performance and price wise and most of the decisions to go one way or the other were due to the buyer's personal preference.
Im on my 4th subaru. I reallly want an evo, i love the 9. The X is just a lil .... not doing it for me. but it does have better crash test ratings.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
Im on my 4th subaru. I reallly want an evo, i love the 9. The X is just a lil .... not doing it for me. but it does have better crash test ratings.
Personally, I think you are just worrying a little much. How many wrecks have you gotten into before? Maybe your paranoid? You have the best handling you can get to avoid stupid people and the power to back it up. As long as you are a good driver, and can avoid stupid ones, you'll be fine bro
Old Jan 2, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7
Personally, I think you are just worrying a little much. How many wrecks have you gotten into before? Maybe your paranoid? You have the best handling you can get to avoid stupid people and the power to back it up. As long as you are a good driver, and can avoid stupid ones, you'll be fine bro
Ive never been in an accident. I am paranoid lol. But i do like to be safer than sorry. Is there any way to reinforce the driver side door?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
Is there any way to reinforce the driver side door?
That's a Lancer.. not a Evo. The Evo's have crashbeams in the doors which may make them a tad bit safer.

In the time I've owned my Evo I havent heard of many deaths or serious injuries from side impact, in fact to the contrary there are many people who have literally walked away from Evo accidents. Of course I guess the ones that didnt survive are dead so they arent posting anymore. I have heard of a few Evo owners being killed due to wreckless driving - natural selection or bad luck as the case may be. The way I figure it, when your number comes up, 5 stars arent really gonna help.

Generally speaking, if safety is your primary concern your looking at the wrong types of cars in the first place and this discussion has been beat to death.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Jan 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Evo and safety shouldn't be in the same sentence together.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

why do we have these threads every few weeks? if youre that worried about safety ratings then maybe this isnt the car for you.

im sure people have died in volvos too