Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

High HP Evo's, Where do you mount your gauge/s?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High HP Evo's, Where do you mount your gauge/s?

currently i have an aem serial gauge mounted in an autometer gauge pod on the steering column (single mount carbon fiber pod on the right side of the column). under hard acceleration, its very difficult to glance down and read the gauge. im trying to see where everyone else mounts their gauge/s?

the a pillar pod seems to be the best place but everyone looks down upon them (including myself at first due to the fact that anyone can see them and it blocks your view when turning left). my next thought was the rexpeed pod, but i dont have three gauges and not sure if i should get more, plus its usually hard to run the wires clean. finally, i thought about the rexpeed carbon pod where the gauge is in the middle of the steering column. im really having a hard time deciding if there is a better option from what i have now. what would you guys suggest?appreciate everyone's help!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody will give you the perfect anwser.

Over 500whp the car pulls way to hard to be looking all over the place. When I drive I usually try to look at one gauge at wot and also pay attention to rpm's. Look below in my sig....I used the gruppe-s cluster. Its ok but it is hard to look over for more than an instant.

You SHOULD have an air fuel gauge besides your boost gauge...but maybe that is what an aem serial gauge is (all in one?)
Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mulholland0132
Nobody will give you the perfect anwser.

Over 500whp the car pulls way to hard to be looking all over the place. When I drive I usually try to look at one gauge at wot and also pay attention to rpm's. Look below in my sig....I used the gruppe-s cluster. Its ok but it is hard to look over for more than an instant.

You SHOULD have an air fuel gauge besides your boost gauge...but maybe that is what an aem serial gauge is (all in one?)
i know its hard no matter what, but looking down seems to be the worst compared to glancing at one side or the other. i know there is no perfect answer but there has to be one that works better than others. the serial gauge is an all in one with i believe up to 19 different parameters.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

i say put the most important gauges on the a-pillar because while doing a run you can use your peripheral vision to check on the gauges while still having the road in sight i would not like looking down to my steering column or center console area to look at gauges while doing a run....my boost gauge is on the a-pillar and its in a very convenient place i'll be getting a triple pillar pod soon for my wideband that will go above my boost gauge and above my wideband will be another gauge which i haven't decided on yet
Old Jan 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
Account Disabled

I don't know what you consider High horsepower but mine will be putting down 500whp as soon as Ivey tunes it next week. I did something a little different. I have three single gauge pods going up the A-pillar. It looks pretty clean. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Same place stock evo's put there guages.

Important ones on top of dash/on steering column, non crucial in the center console.

Scorke
Old Jan 9, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

by high hp, i mean 500+whp. the a pillar seems to be the best spot, or somewhere above the dash. the steering column is just too hard to glance at under wot. appreciate everyone's responses, keep them coming! btw, if you have any pics of your set up, please post.

on a second note, do you guys think the all in one serial gauge is enough or should i get one or two more gauges? im thinking about getting an oil pressure gauge and maybe something else or just stick with my serial gauge.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

High horsepower evos normally only have 1 or 2 gauges. Boost, wideband and a laptop... gauges are usually for the drivers of the evos that want to make themselfs feel fast some evos have more gauges than a jet plane

to the OP. i believe I have a similar boost gauge location as you. I just check my boost on the highway when no1 is in front of me. The rexpeed one looks good.

Last edited by dsmbruno; Jan 9, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:30 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A-pillar gauges should, A/F, boost, Meth flow or oil pressure,
tripple dash gauges, EG temp, oil temp, coolant temp

Originally Posted by evane
i say put the most important gauges on the a-pillar because while doing a run you can use your peripheral vision to check on the gauges while still having the road in sight i would not like looking down to my steering column or center console area to look at gauges while doing a run....my boost gauge is on the a-pillar and its in a very convenient place i'll be getting a triple pillar pod soon for my wideband that will go above my boost gauge and above my wideband will be another gauge which i haven't decided on yet
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

I have 8 gaues and I look at all at the same time, ecspecially the volts, very important gauge
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wideband within eye view, warning alarms for the others.

Zeitronix Boost, AFR and EGT gauge in center console.

Defi BF Premium 60mm gauges in the center console with audible alarms beyond a certain reading.

i.e. Audible alarm when boost + 27 psi or Water temp above 220*
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

its not even possible to look at mine. I wish I had the Aem box with the internal wideband. I have an Aem boost and wideband and they are impossible to look at WOT, when I try, if its not in 4th gear, i will hit the rev limiter. the car revs too fast to look at gauges. laptop with a logger is the best.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled

Hey man, I'll post up a pic when I get home from work like I said earlier. I have 3 gauges on my A-pillar. Top-Boost, Mid-Wideband, Bottom-DDS3(Meth). I like having a peak hold and alarm on my boost gauge. It saved me the other day when I had a boost creep issue in the blistering cold. It started flashing RED and Beeping at me so it was obvious and I didn't have to look right over since I had the Peak Hold Reading anyway......just let off the gas and waited until I could reach over and hit the Peak button
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
Same place stock evo's put there gauges.
I agree...I don't see why they need to be in a different spot?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Gauges != power! Buschur's RS running low 9's has no aftermarket gauges in it!

I had a column-mount single gauge for a while, hated it cause I could not see my CEL.

My friends have 2 and 3-gauge a-pillar pods, and I hate those, they get in your way and are just asking for ricers to race you and cops to harass you.

My buddy rosey (rose0529 on here) made me a 'rosey pod' out of aluminum that I LOVE. I rarely look at it because I have mrfred's direct boost control mod done (GM BCS + JDM MAP sensor), and my aquamist gauge is wired into the ecu for mapswitching. I literally never need to look at the gauges unless I'm bored and wanna see it go up and down/side to side.

Quick Reply: High HP Evo's, Where do you mount your gauge/s?