Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP! Car won't idle/stay running

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Car won't idle/stay running

**(I apologize for the odd format, I copied 2 separate posts I had made on another thread instead of re-typing everything, after realizing I had posted in the wrong section)**

Well, the other night I was driving to downtown, and as soon as I got off of the highway and stopped at the light, my car just shut off.

Since then, the car runs perfectly fine once I begin moving, but it will not idle at all, it just shuts right off.

To start it, I have to turn it over, and then begin to give it gas. When driving, any time I come to a stop sign or light, it will shut off unless I push the clutch in and give it a little gas.

Has anyone had this problem, or does anyone have any idea what it could be?

I have looked at all of the couplers and vacum lines, and it all appears to be in good shape.

Thanks for any help

Anthony

UPDATE (1/12): I went through last night and put a DV on, and checked at the stock soft pieces of IC piping for holes. It started up and idled for 30 minutes after, and then I went to drive it, and as soon as I got in the street, it died(at running temp).

Well, I started it up this morning and it ran fine, so I turned it off and left. I came home tonight, put it in reverse to back it out of the garage, and then parked it out side.

It stayed running with no problems. Once it got up to operating temp, I pulled out of the driveway to drive it, and it died once again. I am lost.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more specific info is needed if u want a good answer but since its only at idle id say its ur IAC (idle air control valve) could be sticking or unplugged. When an engine is cold it will want to idle at a higher rpm, once warmed up it will drop to a lower rpm. thats y it makes sence that once warm it will die more frequently
Old Jan 12, 2009, 07:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
you have a thread in turbo engine drivetrain

you don't need another one

closed...