Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the mod list. Now I know I should run the JICs instead of Tein.

What size wheels? I paln to run 17x9 next year in ESP. with some 255/40/17s if I can get them to fit. That should be enough rubber to really do something. I originally only wanted to be competitive locally, but infortunately I have a 2 time mational champ running in ESP locally, so I have to be very good to compete at all.

Last edited by instigator; Sep 15, 2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The F-body guys are already planning a letter writing campaign.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=378974

Let's see, if they keep on kicking out the good competition, then the class will eventually just belong to Mustangs. They aren't making any more F-bodies, and the only cars to compete in ESP this year were F-bodies, Mustangs, and 3 Evos.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli

The stock tires are good for a street tire but they don't compare even slightly to a set of Hoosiers. I figure to gain about 1.5-2 seconds just by using Hoosiers next year.
But of course. Hence why I didn't state that they ARE rcomps.

You gotta admit these tires run circles around the best street tires including S03's and Pilot Sports. I haven't compared them (personally) to BS Comp T/A's though.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jpgunn
Good job Bret, however, the car is most likely going to be re-classed as a result of Bret's success.

Realistically the car belongs with the 330i, and IS300 in DS and DSP, but they will probably throw it in BSP where it will be killed. The car is currently banned from STX as well which is BS...

If they really want to "fix" things, they chould move the C4's to ASP and the Evo, STI, IS300 and 330's to BSP.

James GW
Do you really think these cars are in the same class, or should be?? I just can't see it. The IS3 and 325/330 should be in the same class, but the Evo/STi should definitely be elsewhere. I autox'ed my 330 last year and did really well with it, but the WRX's were still romping on me (I finished 3rd in DS below 1 WRX w/ 2 drivers). I'm just interested in your reasoning behind this, not trying to say you're wrong or anything.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Realistically the car belongs with the 330i, and IS300 in DS and DSP, but they will probably throw it in BSP where it will be killed. The car is currently banned from STX as well which is BS...

If they really want to "fix" things, they chould move the C4's to ASP and the Evo, STI, IS300 and 330's to BSP.
The Evo is where it should be in ESP. No way should the IS300 and 330 be classed with the Evo and Sti. I do agree that the ban from Stx is a bunch of BS though
IMO, the Evo and Sti stock classification (AS) is what may need changed..
How about keeping them in ESP, allowing them in Stx, moving them to BS?
You gotta admit these tires run circles around the best street tires
Yes they do
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Great Job for the EVO

I don't mind the classifications that it is in, but I wish that we could run STX with it. It fits all of the classification requirements and the street tires would be great.

I'm sure that we will have to keep our eyes to Topeka to see if they decide to reclass it. I'm going to run is AStock until they figure out where it's going. I hate to spend lots of money and be disappointed that I have to make more modifications to the car to be competitive. Of course, I think that with the hoosiers on the car and experience, it will be able to compete in ESP on a local level and maybe even at the National Tour and Pro Solo.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

I think that with the hoosiers on the car and experience, it will be able to compete in ESP on a local level and maybe even at the National Tour and Pro Solo.
It easily competes in ESP at both levels already. That is why it MIGHT be reclassed. People are angry that a first year car is already near the top of the class I have a very experienced National Champ in my class (ESP) locally and I am only 2-2.5 seconds off his times in my first year with street tires and an AS legal Evo. With Hoosiers and a ESP prepped Evo I'm SURE I would be competitive with his times
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Evo is where it should be in ESP. No way should the IS300 and 330 be classed with the Evo and Sti. I do agree that the ban from Stx is a bunch of BS though
IMO, the Evo and Sti stock classification (AS) is what may need changed..
How about keeping them in ESP, allowing them in Stx, moving them to BS?

Yes they do

First, wow.... Those guys over there at ls1.com sure complain alot. Like I said they don't like anyone raining on there parade. Sheesh!

Second, BS? Wha? You crazy? Wha? Let's see how many competetive cars are in BS?

S2000, Boxster, G35, 350Z, Z4 3.0, new S2200, and lets put the EVO and STi there. Can we spread the love around a alittle?

Nope, I don't think BS is a good place. See any rear wheel drive cars convertibles there? Maybe a few? Although the cost is right.

On second thought, hey why not. One big happy BS family!! Lets not disturb the domestics. They are all grumpy anyway.

Or maybe its because I drive an S2000. Nah...

/<
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Just a few comments...

The Advan A046's are not anywhere near the tires that Hoosiers are. You may think the stock tires are nice, and they are, but you'll get your butt soundly kicked by a good driver on Hoosiers.

The Evo will stay in A Stock for next year. The only possible move that could be imagined would be a move to B Stock, and even that's not going to happen. The lone A Stock Evo at Nationals did too well. One spot out of the trophies, in a first year car.

If you're worried about where the Evo will land in Street Prepared, remember this... if they bump the Evo to ASP, BSP, or CSP, forget about SP and just run in Street Modified. You'll have a better PAX multiplier, and much more freedom for your modifications. Bigger turbo? Boost controller? Stroker kit? Dogbox transmission? Take out the back seat? All legal in SM.

Nationals trophy winner (in STX) Brian Garfield co-drove my Hoosier-shod Evo in the DC local autoX last Sunday and gave a beautiful demonstration of the car's potential. Check out his comments here (page down about a dozen messages): http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000582.html
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
Great job!!

Better be careful though. SCCA has a tendancy to knock new car that does real well into classes they can't compete in. ESP is a very tight class of F-body cars. They (ESP) usually don't like anyone to rain on their parade. Make sure that they don't rally together to get the EVO bumped into ASP. That would sux. AS is going to be hard enough with the C4s and some rumors of the R1s moving there. I think ESP is a perfect place for the car, I just worry they might rethink their classing.

/<
they classed me as DS, i was right there with everyone in my class except for the guys with the race slicks (not Type R compounds,, no tread at all very gummy tires)

The fastest time of the day was 40.289 and my time was 43.564

I'm gonna make some old men cry next year with some slicks
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

I have a very experienced National Champ in my class (ESP) locally and I am only 2-2.5 seconds off his times in my first year with street tires and an AS legal Evo. With Hoosiers and a ESP prepped Evo I'm SURE I would be competitive with his times
I can't say with certainty, but I feel that Hoosiers alone dropped at least 2-2.5 seconds off my times for a 60 second course compared to the stock Evo tires.

One source I saw said that Hoosiers are good for 1.5 seconds (on a 60 second course) even over Kumho R compounds, so I think a 2-2.5 second improvement going from stock to Hoosiers might actually be conservative.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

So dare I ask, what would be the favorite autox wheel to use? Something light but something that fits, obviously.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

webguy: For stock class it looks like the Enkei RPF1 is the easiest way to go. It's cheap ($250 a corner) and relatively light (15lbs vs. stock 20lbs) for that price. I think you can also get SSR comps in 17x8, but that will require spacers and possibly new studs as well.

If you're going ESP, I think there are probably many more choices to be had.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks iodine. I don't particularly like the styling... =/

I sure hope wheel mfgr's get their **** together and start making wheels that fit!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by iodine23
webguy: For stock class it looks like the Enkei RPF1 is the easiest way to go. It's cheap ($250 a corner) and relatively light (15lbs vs. stock 20lbs) for that price. I think you can also get SSR comps in 17x8, but that will require spacers and possibly new studs as well.

If you're going ESP, I think there are probably many more choices to be had.

Spec-ing wheels. eh iodine? Hmm? Wonder what that might mean?

/<

Quick Reply: Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships