Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships

Driving my ESP classed Evo8, driver Bret Norgaard almost won the national championship on Friday in Topeka. Making up .5 secs from the first day of competition, he was out of 1st by only .116 secs to Dave Shotz. Great job Bret!

Thanks to Mackin, Volk, Espelir, JIC and Vishnu who made it possible.

Rick
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are your mods?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships

Originally posted by SS RX7 r2
Driving my ESP classed Evo8, driver Bret Norgaard almost won the national championship on Friday in Topeka. Making up .5 secs from the first day of competition, he was out of 1st by only .116 secs to Dave Shotz. Great job Bret!
Shotz is an Fbody guy, right? Do you have a link to the results?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Hopefully they keep the Evo in ESP. That is what I ran this year (eventhough I'm still AS legal) and finished the year 2nd overall. I plan on running ESP next year as well with a better prepped ESP car
It will be interesting to see if they remain in AS as well...maybe they'll move the Evo to BS
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Hot damn this bodes well for my upcoming events!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I drove mine totaly stock saturday for a PCA autox and took 1st (novice.. woohoo! first time :P)

and then went out sunday to the SCCA Solo2 and got stomped by a WRX with race slicks (wich still counts as stock.. what ever) i gott the fastest time by far on a totaly "STOCK" as in, not modified at all, car

i guess i consider stock as close to what you buy it as you can get,, not race slicks.. oh well, learned my lesson this year, next year im going out with the stickies on..
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

By "race slicks" do you mean slicks or rcomps? Was there any tread pattern at all? Remember that your stock tires are also basically rcomps.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Remember that your stock tires are also basically rcomps
The stock tires are good for a street tire but they don't compare even slightly to a set of Hoosiers. I figure to gain about 1.5-2 seconds just by using Hoosiers next year.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats! Not too shabby doing that well with a new car that still has lots of room for dialing in, compared to most ESP cars which have been tweaked to the max over the past coupla decades.

As for the whole SCCA thing where $5K shocks and a set of Hoosiers still leave you in "stock" class, yep, its an issue lots of us are becoming more and more vocal about. Right now the buy-in for nationals is too high for the average person.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by zTargeTz
I drove mine totaly stock saturday for a PCA autox and took 1st (novice.. woohoo! first time :P)

and then went out sunday to the SCCA Solo2 and got stomped by a WRX with race slicks (wich still counts as stock.. what ever) i gott the fastest time by far on a totaly "STOCK" as in, not modified at all, car

i guess i consider stock as close to what you buy it as you can get,, not race slicks.. oh well, learned my lesson this year, next year im going out with the stickies on..
Have you seen what tires come on a WRX? You might as well be on R-compounds compared to them.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Great job!!

Better be careful though. SCCA has a tendancy to knock new car that does real well into classes they can't compete in. ESP is a very tight class of F-body cars. They (ESP) usually don't like anyone to rain on their parade. Make sure that they don't rally together to get the EVO bumped into ASP. That would sux. AS is going to be hard enough with the C4s and some rumors of the R1s moving there. I think ESP is a perfect place for the car, I just worry they might rethink their classing.

/<
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:31 PM

Good job Bret, however, the car is most likely going to be re-classed as a result of Bret's success.

Realistically the car belongs with the 330i, and IS300 in DS and DSP, but they will probably throw it in BSP where it will be killed. The car is currently banned from STX as well which is BS...

If they really want to "fix" things, they chould move the C4's to ASP and the Evo, STI, IS300 and 330's to BSP.

James GW
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
Great job!!

Better be careful though. SCCA has a tendancy to knock new car that does real well into classes they can't compete in. ESP is a very tight class of F-body cars. They (ESP) usually don't like anyone to rain on their parade. Make sure that they don't rally together to get the EVO bumped into ASP. That would sux. AS is going to be hard enough with the C4s and some rumors of the R1s moving there. I think ESP is a perfect place for the car, I just worry they might rethink their classing.

/<
You are absolutely right. We need to write the SCCA SEB and Doug Gill to counter the campain by Jeff Winchell, stating why the Evo should stay in ESP.
Email Doug at dgill@SCCA.com
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broeli
What are your mods?
The main mods are:

Volk ce28n wheels
Kumho Victoracers
JIC FLT-A2 coil overs
Cusco rear bar
Cusco frt bar mounts
Stroth harness
Vishnu Xede
K&N drop- in
Volk Alum lug nuts
Espelir 3.2" exhaust

Testing, set-up and corner weighting by Bret Norgaard was the key.

Attached is a pic in pre-race trim
Attached Thumbnails Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships-p1010025-.jpg  
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Why did you run Victoracers instead of Hoosiers? Just curious. I have thought about geting Victoracers just for the simple fact that they are cheaper and last longer. Is your Xede dyno tuned or just a straight mail order tune? That is another mod I plan on having for next year.
My plans are: Xede, RMR turboback (3" cat), Tanabe springs, Victoracers or Hoosiers, Aem or K&N intake, and a good alignment You say Cusco frt and rear bars..do you mean strut and rear brace bars?

Quick Reply: Evo Almost Wins at the SCCA Solo2 National Championships