Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo8(2.1k demo miles)or new SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having driven both, and seeing how Daimler-Chrysler-Mitsubishi are all essentially one company I would say the cars are of similar build quality. The advantage of the Evo is all-wheel drive traction at the expense of smoked clutches if you're too aggressive. And styling. But at just 2.0 liters it's tuned within an inch of it's life to make the power it does. The SRT-4 will soon have a limited-slip diferential but won't be enough to avoid smoking the front tires. The drivetrain is rock-solid in stock trim and modestly priced Mopar upgrades will soon be available to push the engine closer to the EVO's state of tune. It will make 300 horsepower from the larger 2.5 liter engine without much strain. Of course, that just means more smoke until you get moving. Ideally, the EVO would have the torque and clutch to slightly spin all four wheels or the SRT-4 would have the all-wheel drive to put the torque to the pavement. Hmmm... Maybe that's the plan for both in 2006?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

19 PSI means nothing it varies from turbo to turbo. CFM is the variable that matters and the EVO isnt nearly tuned to an inch of its life, its quite the opposite. I think the EVO is tuned far too conservatively from the factory.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

a 4g63 takes a lot more of 2100 miles of abuse to start wincing. Honestly....buy the Evo. You'll be happier and as said before by someone else.........a neon will still be a neon at the end of the day.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:02 PM
Account Disabled

Evo is a better car, it handles ALOT better, you will understand when you punch it and trun the wheel, it just goes and keeps its track wotout any hint of hesitation, it also has better breaking and better steering, just a better car.

I would get the Demo but make sure you get the warranty and and ask them about the clutch cuz you know it was beat on.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 03:44 AM

DO NOT GET the demo.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:10 AM
pfb

GET THE DEMO!

Most people put *far* to much value in a gentle break-in. Modern engines are just far less suseptable to that sort of thing than 15 years ago. Many car manufacturers (Porsche, for example) work the hell out of their engines before they ever get installed in a vehicle.

The only thing I would worry about, other than any obvious damage, is the clutch. If they agree to "warranty a prematurely worn clutch" if/when it fails, I'd go for it.

That's about $5K under *invoice*, a great deal.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

If you decide you do not want it, please share the info so someone else out here can pick it up, like me for example.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I have the choice when I purchase my car, I will choose getting the demo car. I have no bad feeling for SRT-4, but Evo looks and handle much more better.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

EVO ALL THE WAY!!! **** MOPAR. I don't care if you make the SRT-4 faster than a Ferrari, when I catch back up I'm gonna laugh cuz you're still in a *****'s car..........Dodge ......
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by en1gma19
EVO ALL THE WAY!!! **** MOPAR. I don't care if you make the SRT-4 faster than a Ferrari, when I catch back up I'm gonna laugh cuz you're still in a *****'s car..........Dodge ......
And this is what you get from the evo forum.
Don't make people like this force (or brainwash ) you into believing that the Evo is just a supperior car overall.

Just make sure everything checks out right on the evo before you jump into it and drive away

personal Suggest : The evo is awesome. but as said before: Get the extended warranty!
---
Evo has a ton more potential !
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

demo +extended warranty
Old Sep 16, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by i_love_spool

In reality thought the SRT-4 is a just a Neon with a Factory turbo it is still a butt-ugly girl car, that only the most unmanliest of men would drive.

I'd rather have a demo Evo than a New SRT-4
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:04 PM

I would get the demo evo if they offered the extended warranty with it because at $24k its only a few thousand more than a New 2004 SRT-4. Overall the evo is a better car.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by 93CivicEXCpe
Having driven both, and seeing how Daimler-Chrysler-Mitsubishi are all essentially one company I would say the cars are of similar build quality. The advantage of the Evo is all-wheel drive traction at the expense of smoked clutches if you're too aggressive. And styling. But at just 2.0 liters it's tuned within an inch of it's life to make the power it does. The SRT-4 will soon have a limited-slip diferential but won't be enough to avoid smoking the front tires. The drivetrain is rock-solid in stock trim and modestly priced Mopar upgrades will soon be available to push the engine closer to the EVO's state of tune. It will make 300 horsepower from the larger 2.5 liter engine without much strain. Of course, that just means more smoke until you get moving. Ideally, the EVO would have the torque and clutch to slightly spin all four wheels or the SRT-4 would have the all-wheel drive to put the torque to the pavement. Hmmm... Maybe that's the plan for both in 2006?
comparing a neon to Evo blasphemy...
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

FYI: The EVO is not "just a Lancer." Rally raised the EVO, and THEN the Lancer was put into production. Not dissing the SRT-4, but it does "still look like a Neon"

Back on topic, I don't know about the demo. I doubt a private owner would drive their car the way a test driver who doesn't own the car would. Less abuse, good price in the future. I think the sacrifice of having more miles with less abuse would be worth it to buy a private owner's used car, in the future when resale value goes down to about 25k.

Quick Reply: Evo8(2.1k demo miles)or new SRT-4