Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo8(2.1k demo miles)or new SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think the SRT-4 is JUST for drag racing. It is a very worthy car on the road course. Dodge also has an entry in the rally world as well.

Ever heard of One Lap of America? The SRT-4 placed 8th in a group of about 84 cars. From Lambos, Porsches, Ferrari's to Supras, Vettes, and Evo's.

Oh the Evo placed a strong 26th.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 07:22 PM

Weren't Neons the autocrossing low priced car of choice last generation?

I can't imagine the handling falling off that much on the newer ones.

I'm still chucking because some of the neon comments came from someone who lists one of their cars as a Dahlia blue Cavalier..
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:04 PM

I like the SRT-4. I have no problem with it. I think that for the price is a killer machine (hope not literally, though ).
I think Chrysler is doing a fine job supporting it too, unlike Mitsu USA. I just have more fun in my EVO. I don't care for One Lap of America, for lunching hard, for drag strips, for 1/4 miles AT ALL. I live for the cannyon runs, the twisties, power slides on 4 wheels, the fun stuff. If the Neon could give me the same incredible control, the same braking and stability, I would consider it. It does not, but you know what? If I didn't have 30 grand for a car to have fun with, I wouldn't buy an Acura RSX or a Toyota Celica, the Neon would be my choice. It drives faster, harder and it's not butt ugly like some other people are saying, because, as everybody knows, taste is like ***, everybody has their own.
At least Chrysler came up with a car for people that like performance but are still in a budget. Because WE are in a budget too, otherwise I would have bought a Porsche Turbo.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:00 PM
Account Disabled

I believe th race discussed above comes down to driver more then the car. Evo is a more capable car with a proven engine. Your damn right the Neon is good too though, it runs a Big 16G from Mitsu, but that FF really hurts when you start moddoing, try drivin a 400+ WHP FF and you'll see what I mean. Handling will never be as good, as cheap as the Evo is, the Neon is even cheaper interior and build quality.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

In all honesty who cares about interior? If you want a great interior go buy a Lexus or BMW. In a performance car you are more focused on DRIVING. Whether it be in a straight line, around twisties or jumping over gravel peaks. You want a seat that provides support, a steering wheel with grip, gauges that are clear to read and at eye level and a shifter that provides hard crisp shifts. This "neon" does it.

Come on, how many of you while racing say "damn these dash pieces are horrible, and the plastics are cheap". No, your paying attention to your driving and the road. IMO I think the interior is pleasing to the eye. The silver accents go well and don't cross the rice border. My favorite parts are the seats and the gauges.

Most of you that bash the SRT-4 find the littlest things to pick on. It's getting really old. I have yet to hear any bad things on our 2.4 liter, forged internals built like a bull motor. Or how about the suspension? And the tranny? Or what about the support from Mopar and the turbo stage upgrades, KW coilovers, short shifters, cat-back exhausts, Quaiffe LSDs, and the list goes on. For the Mopar Stage 1 turbo upgrade it includes a boost hold feature during WOT shifts. What does this mean? Powershift like a **** and boost holds at 15psi through every gear. Do you think that Mopar would advertise this feature if they didn't think the tranny can hold up to it?

Yes the car is FWD with mad boost. Not the greatest of combinations but still very fun to drive (when your not smoking the tires ). The car is still capable of every race sanction and proves to be a highly competitive car. I think the only thing that you guys can't get out of your head is that it was born from a Neon but it really is a different beast.

I will say this. If I could have afforded the Evo, your damn skippy I would have bought that *****. I LOVE the styling and the AWD turbo.