Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo8(2.1k demo miles)or new SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo8(2.1k demo miles)or new SRT-4

Looking into an evo8 thats costing about 24k with 2100 demo miles. Should i bite or im better off buying new 2004 SRT-4. Reason im considering evo8 is the price i wouldnt pay 30k for it because i cant afford payments. need a bit of advice here. thanks
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:12 AM
In Timeout

If that evo is anything like the one I got a test drive in dont buy it. The dealer didnt break it in right so your going to have probs down the line.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I would take the Evo. That's very cheap! Not being broken in properly isn't always going to cause a problem. More than likely it won't matter at all. Obviously it is nice to know how it was broken in, but it doesn't really matter. Mine had 12 miles on it. I don't know anything about those 12 miles. I don't care. It runs fine.

Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I would look into buying any EVO privately before paying 24k for a demo but personally I really didn't see any comparison between the EVO and SRT. The US EVO is a much more polished car on the whole. From the exterior and interior, to the engine and drivetrain as a whole the decision is pretty simple when costs are similar. IMO high powered turbo cars should not be FWD. The EVO will feel much sharper on the road and overall is simply the better car, and in saying that im not trying to take anything away from the SRT-4 which is an amazing car for 20k.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:18 AM

yeah, i let my friend drive my car a week after i got it an all, and he said " it feels like your car has a lot more power than the one i test drove at the dealer ". I didn't test drive the evo before i bought it (i wanted the car real bad.) so i would agree with the suggestion of buying a private owned evo. people tend to beat the crap outta Demo cars; they don't have to worry about it.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

i would get the srt-4 new, hands down. that evo has been around the block WAY too much for my liking. 2100 miles is a LOT of time for abuse.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:49 AM

I think the SRT-4 is fugly and looks too much like some of the other dodge from the front end. The body style just does nothing for me. And I believe you are getting a higher quality car for the additional $$ spent on the EVO. No matter what, the SRT-4 is still a neon at the end of the day
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Buy the Evo only if they also give you the 7-year, 100,000-mile warranty for no charge. Tell them it will make you feel better about it... They will do it to sell the car and then you won't have any worries. For $24K, I'd almost buy another one and keep it stock.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
While these "just a Neon" or "still a Neon" inferences are silly (the Evo is still/just a Lancer/Cedia), I'd MUCH rather have a slightly used Evo over a FWD peg leg burnout torque steer master SRT-4. The Evo has tons more potential and is a lot more fun!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I don't get it, calling the SRT4 "just a Neon" is as ignorant as those saying the EVO is just a Lancer. I think we as EVO owners should know best that the SRT4 is not "just a Neon" since we all know the EVO is not just a Lancer. So why are some of you still so ignorant?!?? Anyway, I agree with Chris that if they would give you some type of extended warranty on the car, you might want to go with the EVO, assuming that you will be able to get warranty service without Mitsu denying it for just drving the car. As for the SRT4, there are some changes with the 04 model which caused the price to be slightly over 20k. In addition, some dealers in AZ are marking it up $3000 already.

OH, maybe those that are making the "just a Neon" or "still a Neon" type of statements aren't EVO owners so they might not know best.

Last edited by Alias; Sep 15, 2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alias
I don't get it, calling the SRT4 "just a Neon" is as ignorant as those saying the EVO is just a Lancer. I think we as EVO owners should know best that the SRT4 is not "just a Neon" since we all know the EVO is not just a Lancer. So why are some of you still so ignorant?!?? Anyway, I agree with Chris that if they would give you some type of extended warranty on the car, you might want to go with the EVO, assuming that you will be able to get warranty service without Mitsu denying it for just drving the car. As for the SRT4, there are some changes with the 04 model which caused the price to be slightly over 20k. In addition, some dealers in AZ are marking it up $3000 already.
In reality though the SRT-4 is just a Neon with a factory turbo version of a previous N/A motor that was used in earlier iterations of the car with a stiffer suspension. The Neon is a cheap fast car while the EVO has its roots as a purpose designed race car. These cars are really not comparable but to call the SRT-4 a Neon is closer then calling the EVO a Lancer.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 01:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by fury656

In reality though the SRT-4 is just a Neon with a factory turbo version of a previous N/A motor that was used in earlier iterations of the car with a stiffer suspension. The Neon is a cheap fast car while the EVO has its roots as a purpose designed race car. These cars are really not comparable but to call the SRT-4 a Neon is closer then calling the EVO a Lancer.
In reality thought the SRT-4 is a just a Neon with a Factory turbo it is still a butt-ugly girl car, that only the most unmanliest of men would drive.

I'd rather have a demo Evo than a New SRT-4
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

The 2004 SRT-4 is going to have 15 more horses bringing it to 230 and it has over 250lbs of torque. However the Evo is all around a better car but I wouldn't get a demo.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Wombat
The 2004 SRT-4 is going to have 15 more horses bringing it to 230 and it has over 250lbs of torque. However the Evo is all around a better car but I wouldn't get a demo.
The 2003s were dynoing at or adove those levels at the wheels so I think they're just not underrating them anymore. The biggest addition to the 2004s is the LSD.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Buy the Evo only if they also give you the 7-year, 100,000-mile warranty for no charge. Tell them it will make you feel better about it... They will do it to sell the car and then you won't have any worries. For $24K, I'd almost buy another one and keep it stock.
Yeah your right about that part because im goin to defently need a warranty with a car thats been beat like that. Problem also arises that i wanna mod the car and with posts that i read here with warranty issues its tuff to pick up an evo. Either ways ill be talking to dealer this week ill be trading my old '03 GLI. Thanks for all your feedback guys

Quick Reply: Evo8(2.1k demo miles)or new SRT-4