Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New mods with Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool New mods with Dyno Numbers

I went to Alamo Autosports in Arlington, Texas and had some mods installed and did some runs on the dyno.

I did a basic run with the following mods; Works 93 re-flash, Ultimate Turbo 3" with 3" cat, Forge Bov, and MBC set at 1.3 bars. My first run was 267.2 HP and 253.7 TO.
I added a K&N air filter and did another pull. With just a K&N filter I dyno 269.7 HP and 248.3 TQ.

I then had the Crank under drive pulley installed, back to the dyno 281.6HP and 272.7QT with just the Crank pulley with no other changes.

I did several more dyno runs my best for the day was 289.1 HP and 270.3 QT, 1.4 bar.

I also got the Clutch braided stainless line installed, what a difference in the way the clutch feels.

The above runs were done on a Dynojet.

On 7/12/03 on a Mustang Dyno I made 255.5 Hp and 235.3 Tq.

Air/Fuel, was good also starting out at 14-15 tapping off too 10.5-11.4.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey tx evo, I just sent you a pm wondering about Sat! Thos enumbers look good, are you going to send the ecu back to works to be upgraded for the exhaust additions that you have done? Can you feel the difference? Those were some pretty good gains, it looks like the under drive pully really works (no pun intended!).
Old Sep 15, 2003, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice numbers, but why is the higher graph so choppy? That looks like ignition problems or something?. You lost torque (over 5 lb/ft) with that K&N - interesting, and only gained a few HP (over 2). Were those just peak numbers, an average, or at a certain RPM point?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

All runs were pulled in 3rd gear. The choppy really I have no answer for it. I will be getting with Works to get my computer Re-flash again for my mods, that should level it out and gain some more Hp.

Works Re-flash to me is the only way to go.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Nice #'s
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Nice #'s.

I am having my WORKS reflash done tomorrow. I want to run it with a 3" turboback. Did they tell u they could tweek it for your setup? Did you need the MBC, was boost spiking without it? Any helpful info would be appreciated as I'd like to do it right the first time.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tx evo
All runs were pulled in 3rd gear. The choppy really I have no answer for it.
Do you actually feel anything on the road ( like soft spots in accel?, or hesitations at part throttle?)
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have the 93 Re-flash, it was not tune for exhaust ect. The MBC is only temp. Works is coming out with a flash that ups the boost, and I will be going to that.
No, it did not spike with the 93 flash.

There seems to be no soft spots, but on the top side of the RPM its not near as smooth as it was.

Guys, you really need to get the Crank Pulley, for the power that its making you can not go wrong. You can see I picked up 12.1 Hp and 24.1 TQ.
With the lights, AC, Radio all on I could not see any battery drain.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

tx Evo , where did you get your crank pully? That is well worth the gain. Thanks for posting those numbers because I had that in question but I read in a different post that someone said it didn't make any difference but they didn't have any numbers to back it up.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tx evo
I have the 93 Re-flash, it was not tune for exhaust ect. The MBC is only temp. Works is coming out with a flash that ups the boost, and I will be going to that.
No, it did not spike with the 93 flash.

There seems to be no soft spots, but on the top side of the RPM its not near as smooth as it was.

Guys, you really need to get the Crank Pulley, for the power that its making you can not go wrong. You can see I picked up 12.1 Hp and 24.1 TQ.
With the lights, AC, Radio all on I could not see any battery drain.
Great new tx evo! I knew someone with a Works 93 was dyno testing with an MBC this past weekend...... just not who. No more guessing..... and great numbers, congrats!!!

I just installed my boost gauge finally this weekend and running the original Works 93 with the exhale, I am only seeing boost spikes to around 18 and the boost immediately settles to around 16.5 then tapers to around 14.75-15psi. Obviously making exhaust changes to the axle back without compensating for boost can take power away by reducing psi by about 1-1.5psi.

I think Pruven found that out months back while testing their axle-back exhaust. I am running the original 93 octane reflash which is not optmized for the exhale, but its pretty clear that cranking the boost back-up(especially via the boost control reflash) can make a big difference.

Sorry for the question attack, but:
1) What kind of boost were you seeing previous to installing the mbc?
2) Did you guys see any issues with knock?
3) How about a/f ratios?Edit: Sorry I was so excited I didn't see your original info....My bad
4) Last question I promise...Where did you get that crank pulley? Alamo Motorsports? Any concerns of negative wear issues on the crank? I know some cars have had that problem and just wondered. 12 whp/24tq...wow!!

Overall excellent info, and once again proof that the Works solution can push out some decent numbers with the right combo of parts!

Thanks!

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Sep 15, 2003 at 09:00 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GTVEVO
tx Evo , where did you get your crank pully? That is well worth the gain. Thanks for posting those numbers because I had that in question but I read in a different post that someone said it didn't make any difference but they didn't have any numbers to back it up.
Yes....where did you get the crank pulley. GOOD #'s
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DrMerl
Nice numbers, but why is the higher graph so choppy? That looks like ignition problems or something?. You lost torque (over 5 lb/ft) with that K&N - interesting, and only gained a few HP (over 2). Were those just peak numbers, an average, or at a certain RPM point?
Looks like before the UDP the dyno was pretty smooth, a characteristic of a good reflash. But after the UDP was installed it got kind of funky.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

The Crank pulley can be purchased at: Alamo Auto Sports (817-860-4300)

You can get the Ac and Alternator pulleys also, but there is not much differnce between them and stock. So my advice is just get the Crank under drive pulley, and save you some money.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The smoothness of the pull when tx evo first got his Works reflash was something that everyon ecommented on when he did his first Dyno Day at FIS in McKinney. I have no doubt given the smoothness of that pull when the chip was burned for that particular set-up the the reflash for the new modifications should be pretty good as well. The dyno operator at the first dyno day especially commented on how good of a job Works had done when the car was run. I think that tx evo is right and the Works will probably do pretty well once he gets the flash back.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Who makes the pulleys? Unorthodox Racing?

Quick Reply: New mods with Dyno Numbers