Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Not To Void The Warranty

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Not To Void The Warranty

I am new to the board. I put my 96 GST to rest for something newer! So I picked up an 03 Evo and was wondering would an Intake and 3" turbo back exhaust void the warranty? I am guessing running a test pipe would but what about a high flow cat? I'm new to this new car warranty stuff. LOL Never had a new car..... What kind of HP am I looking at before I start to void the warranty?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

For the engine don't touch the ECU or boost, for the suspension don't put in aftermarket springs. So basically you're limited to flow mods like intake, exhaust, downpipe.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Any mod will void your warranty
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Even Intake and Exhaust?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

it all depends on the service departent that you use...I would ask them first before you do the mods....Go to the different dealers and ask them the same questions........some are cool, and some are very uncool...............and dont expect them to warranty any wear items on the car; Example: Brake pads, wiper baldes, CLUTCH, etc......No Dealer will warranty these things, and every one always cries about the clutch...if you use it to change gears you will be fine, if you use it for crazy 5,000rpm launches you will tear it up. There you go!!!!!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely not. There are laws against that so if a dealer trys to say it don't believe it. The modification has to be proven as the cause of the problem.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Yah. The 5,000 RPM launches are uncalled for. I was reading this forum for about a month before I decided to get an Evo and I was worried about the clutch failing prematurely but then I took into consideration some of the people that must drive these cars and have the need to do clutch drops at 5K I however am not one of those people so I "should" have nothing to worry about. Any ideas if my K & N Off my 2G DSM will fit on the Evo? That is a start atleast.... There definitely isn't enough noise goin on in this car LOL.. Compared to my DSM this is actually a civil car. It actually idles nice with the air on too unlike my eclipse gottah love polly motor mounts... NOT! LOL

P.S. If the noise part sounded ricy I didn't mean it to sound like I am after RICE I am far from it. This is a brief history of my GST but I'm sad to say it MUST GO!!! Mods: Big 16G ported and clipped pushing 20psi, Big Greddy FMIC, 550cc injectors, walbro 255, S-AFC, Act 2100 clutch, Poly motor mounts, Home Made Boost controller, EGT, A/F, Boost guage, 3" turbo back exhaust with 3" test pipe, Greddy Type S B.O.V, RRE Upper IC pipe, B&M Short throw shifter, Baer Track Brake System with 13" cross drilled, slotted, and zinc coated rotors, Ground Control coilovers, Koni yellow adjustables, 17x7 rims, Phillips HID kit with 6,000K Ultinon Capsules and Kumho 215-40ZR-17 rubber

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:44 PM

I am trying to limit myself to whatever Ralliart has to offer - assuming that since it is viewed in Japan as "official" Mitsubishi (like TRD) it will be less likely to be viewed as voiding warranty. Still taking a chance tho, I don't think any dealer would put in writing that they would honor the warranty despite the add-ons. I may be wrong. Anything not in writing is always difficult to prove.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ThEHiTMaN
Yah. The 5,000 RPM launches are uncalled for.
Hey man, glad to hear that you picked up the Evo. You won't regret - did you find Tarmac Black?

Don't be knocking 5k launches, I do 6k - 7k drops regularly and get 1.7 60 foot times Of course, I'm abusing my clutch since I have an Exedy going in on Wednesday, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

HEHE LOL Yep I found the black one that we talked about. LOL
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Is'nt it crazy how many people drag the EVO and how many think its actually a drag car........Drag cars are RWD, of course there are lots of FWD cars out there now that do just as good....We lose to much HP through our drive line and abuse it with all those carzy launches!!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

so will adding a custom intake void the warranty or not?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Nope. Intake or cat-back exhaust shouldn't void your warranty. There again, like SAEVO said, check w/ your dealership. Ask your service manager. We also have a law to protect us (Magnuson something...) from losing our warranty b/c we toy w/ our cars. As long as a mod isn't directly responsible for a problem the car has, then you are covered. ie., if you have beefier brakes and you engine has problems, the brakes won't void your warranty.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Not speaking to anyone in particular, rather the whole of the thread. Although I am not a warranty expert, I think there are some misconceptions when it comes to warranty, consumers and the law. The factory warranty from Mitsubishi is there to protect us against manufacturers defects. That's it. The warranty is not worded (nor required by law to be worded as such) so as to imply that anything that might go out on the car for any reason will be replaced. Historically, most consumables (brake pads/rotors, clutches, etc.) are not covered under warranty unless explicitely stated.

What mods will void your warranty? None of them or any one of them. If you replace your intake and the alternator dies, by law, the manufacturer cannot deny your warranty claim on the alternator. If the turbo siezes and it's found that there were chunks of plastic in the turbo, the warranty claim on your turbo would most likely and rightfully be denied.

With that in mind, anything that will alter the flow of your vehicles exhaust may in fact void your engine (or perhaps the whole drivetrain) warranty. Whether it's justified or not depends on the circumstances. Whether the law supports you or not depends on the circumstances.

People (as well as the dealerships) speak of the "warranty" as if it's a blanket contract. It is not. It cannot be voided in whole, nor can it be enforced in whole under most circumstances. Again, it's there to protect you against manufacturing defects. Mitsubishi is bound by Federal law to honor it's warranty unless the modifications to the car can be proven to be the cause of the malfunction. The responsibility to prove it is on them.

Caveat emptor.

Just my two cents.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be careful with the intake part. You can replace the 'filter' alone with ZERO impact on your warranty. When you start top rip out the ducting and all the hardware to replace it with some cheezy cone air intake then you could most definately be held liable for something.

Quick Reply: How Not To Void The Warranty