Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Should I just build it already?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should I just build it already?

Ok so I have done a lot of reading around and I'm stuck on what to do. It's like I know what I have to do but I'm def in denial...lol

Right now my car has the following:

Cosi 272's
ARP Headstuds
680cc Injectors
255 FP
TBE
HKS intake
Fp Green
O2 Housing
FMIC
LICP
UICP
MBC
Tial BOV
HKS V-Pro
ACT Clutch & Flywheel
Iveytune

This is what I've just got in:

Magnus V5 IM
Skunk2 68MM TB
GT Spec Headers
1200CC Injectors

So I figured that I would send my stock IX turbo out to be upgraded to the Red and slap it on with the above mods and get a tune(1 on pump 93 and another for C16 like I have now). The issue that I'm having is that I know that the stock head & block will be pushed to their limits and figure well, if the IM is off and pretty much the entire turbo, headers & dp will also be off, should I just build the damn thing? I will of course have to delay the build to save up some more $$ but I don't mind as the car runs great now anyways.

I have seen many cars on this forum make serious power on the stock block and run awesome times but fear that it will just be a matter of time if I don't do it now. My car is a garage queen that maybe sees the track 2 or 3 times a year and it mostly used for fun on the weekends. It used to be my dd so it has 50K miles but I have a civic for that now.

So of course my question is should I slap the red on with the mods I already have and call it a day for now? Or should I spend the extra $$ and build it so I wont have to worry about it?

Last edited by SilverBulletIX; Jan 30, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I have the same situation, should I just slap the red on or build the motor...tough decision.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

building now will give you the peace of mind. plus, it's much cheaper to build to make it stronger than to rebuild because something broke...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

If your going to have it apart do it right the first time. Then you wont ever have to worry about anything.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
build it
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'd build that sucker now, upgrade turbos in the near future.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 01:55 AM

In agreement with build now and upgrade turbo later.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

I would build it personally.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

I dunno. Taking the intake manifold/exhaust manifold doesnt make it that much closer to having the engine out. You still have to remove the TC/trans and of course the mounts...
I'd add the mods that you have, get a tune, save money. Then build.
Many ppl have decent luck with stock block, especially that your cars a weekend warrior. Building is a great idea tho, the real deal. I just wanted to say that youre really not close to having the motor out.

The downside is if your engine goes, and your block is destroyed, youre out around $1800 for another short block.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Yea that's kind of my point. That 1800 could go towards a buschur stage 3 head & I'm almost half way there. I think I'll save the turbo for later like a few of you mentioned. Then I could push the green to it's absolute limit in the mean time. Atleast if I do it this way I won't be limited to just the red.

Last edited by SilverBulletIX; Jan 31, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

who cares if you max the head out just tune it with no knock an make sure you have enough fuel, your going to have to upgrade you fuel system of course wth the red.....my build will be done in about 3 months tops.

and if i showed you this right up in my evo magazine on intake manifolds, you will cry with the power loss you get with an aftermarket one....stay with the stocker
mods to come:
Red
kelford 280/272
manley springs and retainers
turbotrix manifold
precision 1000cc injectors
aeromotive fuel rail
aeromotive fiel pressure regualter

with a 93 tune and a q16 tune

im maxing my head out.....you will be fine
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Drive it till it breaks and then fix it, esp. since you already have a dd. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's always been my motto.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom
who cares if you max the head out just tune it with no knock an make sure you have enough fuel, your going to have to upgrade you fuel system of course wth the red.....my build will be done in about 3 months tops.

and if i showed you this right up in my evo magazine on intake manifolds, you will cry with the power loss you get with an aftermarket one....stay with the stocker
mods to come:
Red
kelford 280/272
manley springs and retainers
turbotrix manifold
precision 1000cc injectors
aeromotive fuel rail
aeromotive fiel pressure regualter

with a 93 tune and a q16 tune

im maxing my head out.....you will be fine

Well as far as the IM, I have read many threads with nothing but positive reviews on the Magnus V5 by many reputable tuners. I also think that I would be able to get away with the stock fuel system with the Red(right now I have a 255 fp & 1200cc injectors). If I were trying to push it to 35psi then I would run into problems. I would also most likely need to upgrade my ignition if that was my goal. My goal is to be able to make on pump what I made on race gas with the green just on 93 which is more than likely attainable. I may just get a really conservative race fuel tune if I decide to slap everything on and get a tune.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

well the wise thing to do here is to build the motor if you have the $$. Bacause you get the Red and max out the power on the stock block...and sh*t happens and it blows up, you would have just ruined a perfectly good block and its gonna cost you much more $$$$ to fix after that ! good luck with your decesion !
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:32 PM

i would build it now.... therefore you can slap the turbo in and it will be completely ready for REAL use

Quick Reply: Should I just build it already?