Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Getting a Copy of My Key

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a Copy of My Key

I need to get a copy of my key but i went to 2 dealers already, in the miami area and they want 63ish dollars for the Key itself and then they want 89 dollars to program the key, in the end it comes out to 156ish dollars. All that for a replacement key!!?? they are out their minds! but what can you expect. they quote me for a replacement battery for almost 300 bucks!

does anyone know of somewhere or someone who knows of a much cheaper solution?

Last edited by Aar0nsite; Feb 7, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Replacement Key
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just be glad you've got two Mitsu dealers in your city that you can cross shop.

$100-$200 is the industry standard for all keys right about now. Actually its cheap because some cars, like the Germans, can be significantly more because they key and Fob are integrated.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:09 AM
Former Vendor

Thats not to bad. Replacements are not cheap. Battery do yourself.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

i called my local locksmith they ordered a key and programmed it for 70$.... and that was not having a copy. If you have two keys you can program the keys yourself.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:36 PM

I dunno about you guys.. I went to HomeDepot where they make keys and I had my extra key just made for me.. I got it for w/e the regular price to get a key copied costs.

I have an 03 EVO 8. It's worked whenever I have had to use it. Which was normally left in the house incase I'm not home and the car needed to be moved from the garage.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by juicebox
I dunno about you guys.. I went to HomeDepot where they make keys and I had my extra key just made for me.. I got it for w/e the regular price to get a key copied costs.

I have an 03 EVO 8. It's worked whenever I have had to use it. Which was normally left in the house incase I'm not home and the car needed to be moved from the garage.
...oooohhh....try that....it may work and save you money. If you get it done at the dealer, they will try to make big money....No doubt about it.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

That's cheap. I work for Lexus and its about $170 for the key, and $135 for the programming. You can imagine the surprise for the people who buy older used Lexus' and need parts for them.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sschmuve1
That's cheap. I work for Lexus and its about $170 for the key, and $135 for the programming. You can imagine the surprise for the people who buy older used Lexus' and need parts for them.
corporate america BS. Maybe, JUST maybe, the key itself costs say ~$100 to make, so they're making $70 profit on the key, but there is no way in hell that it costs $135 to program a key. no way.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:16 AM

hmm why don't u just go to Lowe's or Home Depot ?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by baylorar
corporate america BS. Maybe, JUST maybe, the key itself costs say ~$100 to make, so they're making $70 profit on the key, but there is no way in hell that it costs $135 to program a key. no way.
100 to make a key? your out of your mind.

a key with all that electronics does not cost much at all to manufacture, maybe 20 bucks tops. but you got to remember they need to recoup all the costs for the R&D that goes into the whole electronic systems with the keys. R&D always costs a lot more then the product itself. why do you think when a new electronic comes out its always expensive, then 6 months later its 1/2 the price it used to be?

anyway, thats not that bad of a price for a replacement key for the evo....
is it worth it when you lock your normal key in your car and have to wait and call a locksmith to open it for you?
Old Feb 8, 2009, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
100 to make a key? your out of your mind.

a key with all that electronics does not cost much at all to manufacture, maybe 20 bucks tops. but you got to remember they need to recoup all the costs for the R&D that goes into the whole electronic systems with the keys. R&D always costs a lot more then the product itself. why do you think when a new electronic comes out its always expensive, then 6 months later its 1/2 the price it used to be?

anyway, thats not that bad of a price for a replacement key for the evo....
is it worth it when you lock your normal key in your car and have to wait and call a locksmith to open it for you?
First off all, I was using the 100 as a hypothetical situation. Notice the "maybe, JUST maybe" in my post. Second, the R&D is part of the "making a key" process, is it not? Did I specifically say, "the actual manufacturing of the key costs 100"?

Thanks for the lecture though. Next time just save it. I'm an engineer... I know a little about R&D and manufacturing.

Last edited by baylorar; Feb 8, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I reprogrammed a Benz station wagon about 2 months ago, the key alone was $280.00 then there was a $200.00 deposit for this thing that looked like a key that was used to initiate a reprogram sequence for the new key and transponder. lol
Old Feb 8, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by juicebox

Is your immobilizer system deactivated? How are you getting a flat metal key to start your Evo? Or are you just using it as a door key? Or was your stock master key sitting right next to it on the key ring when you tried it?

Last edited by GPTourer; Feb 8, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

keylessride.com...

Uncut key for Key :

Your Price: $48.00
Dealership Price: $96.30*

Homedepot cuts key for 5 bux???

As stated, If you have 2 other keys you can program them yourself .

~$60 bux??
Old Feb 8, 2009, 05:52 PM
Account Disabled

Do you need this key for starting the car or just unlocking it? If you just need an extra key for if you lock your keys inside, you can just get one made anywhere.

Quick Reply: Getting a Copy of My Key