Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone thought of trading their EVO for STI????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm.... NO! Never
Old Sep 18, 2003, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is input, to put it shortly. Friend got a STi, I was also planning on getting a STi a month later (though I was considering the EVO as well..I couldn't decide!). However due to my experience with a particular subie dealer which just made me very angry, I decided to give the EVO a try and visited a Mitsu dealer. Thus I ended up with an EVO and my friend a STi.

Driving both cars back to back, whenever I drove my EVO and then the STi, it felt like I just stepped out of a minivan or a big/heavier car. The STi steering felt slow, it felt big, and the seats just didn't hold me in. However, the STi had power in every rev range and it pulled HARD. The throws on the STi are so short compared to my EVO to the point where the first time I drove it I didn't know which gear I was in. My friend with the STi pretty much felt the same way and thought the shifting on the EVO felt a lot better/solid. Though i did find after driving the STi a little longer that it did start to grow on me and I got use to the short throws. BUT when I drive my EVO afterwards I just love the quick steering/seats and it feels like I just got into a sports car (just my opinion!). Although the STi does pull very strong, with some mods the EVO can pull just as strong.

Don't get me wrong, the STi is a great car. The STi's interior is great and I found the interior of the EVO to be just fine. I really don't understand why people say, the interior is where the economy shows??? The finish and fit is fine to me. The only complaint I do have is the gauge cluster which just can't be compared to the STi's EL gauges. Thus concluding, I did not regret my decision on the getting the EVO. Ok, I regret that I got the sunroof! Both these car are truly a blast to drive and you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by sophis; Sep 18, 2003 at 01:38 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

This are great replies. Lets keep them coming.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

I had the opportunity to drive a subie at the track last weekend. I've made the right choice on vehicles.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

HELL and NO!!!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

I attempted to fake a 'wanna trade my evo for an sti' as well about 4 months back to try and get a test drive. I came very close -- I got the sti out of the showroom and was able to crank it up to hear the boxer, but the sales manager wouldn't let me take it for spin until we agreed on some numbers. I couldn't stop my laughing inside when they sales manager offered me the sti for $4k over MSRP.... and only wanted to give me $23-24K for my evo which had approx 1800 miles at the time.

I wouldn't have traded it even if he offered it EVEN!!!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

I never even thought about buying an EVO and had an STi on order for 6 and half months, when the STi's finally made it to New England, four dealers wouldn't let me test drive with a 32K check in my hand. The last dealer got so rude, he told me to go down the street and try and test drive an EVO. That's how I ended up becoming an EVO owner that same night.

On the other hand, I still desire to test drive an STi, I was working on a friend for 2 months to buy an STi and he finally did, now that he has offered to let me drive it, I won't.

One I like my EVO and two, I don't want to like the STi better (more on this later), because I am one that would take a big loss to get something I like better.

I've been able to compare the interiors back to back and with the exception of the guages the EVO is better IMHO, when I first saw the EVO interior I thought it looked cheap, it has grown on me and the function of it is great, and the materials are good as well. On close inspection of the STi interior, the dash design is poor, the materials look cheap and it doesn't flow with the rest of the interior and now, doesn't even match the exterior (round a/c vents, with no round headlights), I was shocked to see that the rear seats in the STi are not even of the same material as the front seats, and what they are covered in was obviously cheap material that I doubt will hold up to much use. The rear seat in the STi is small, and at my 5'11 height, my head hit the back window and my legs had to squeeze in the back and i'm only 120 lbs.

On exteriors the STi does look good in a totally different way than the EVO, the only thing I don't like about the STi is driving behind the STi, that wing doesn't look like it belongs to that car, at least's the EVO's big wing is aligned to the rear pillars and looks like the factory put it on and designed it for the car. At least in red and yellow, I prefer the aggressive EVO styling, but as I said, the STi still looks good, just in a different way.

The engine bay looks better on the STi, just in that there is more room to work and add things, yes I prefer FMIC, but at least you can clean the STi's intercooler. But when it gets down to it, the looks don't matter on these cars.

The only reasons why I would see myself trading in for the STi is I put close to 5K miles a month on my car, and just lately the ride is starting to bother me. If I was racing, I'd stick with the EVO, but I don't. The community surrounding around the wrx/sti is much stronger in the way of forums, dealerships and activities, at least in the North East. My fear is if I drive the STi, I will be willing to forgo the awesome steering, and amazing mountain handling for a little every day comfort and wider powerband. I will miss the sunroof and rear wiper, but again, those aren't two things that would make me keep the EVO. I love my EVO and will most likely keep it longer than most of my pasts cars, but I've desired the STi for a long time and don't trust myself.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by emulous
I never even thought about buying an EVO and had an STi on order for 6 and half months, when the STi's finally made it to New England, four dealers wouldn't let me test drive with a 32K check in my hand. The last dealer got so rude, he told me to go down the street and try and test drive an EVO. That's how I ended up becoming an EVO owner that same night.

On the other hand, I still desire to test drive an STi, I was working on a friend for 2 months to buy an STi and he finally did, now that he has offered to let me drive it, I won't.

One I like my EVO and two, I don't want to like the STi better (more on this later), because I am one that would take a big loss to get something I like better.

I've been able to compare the interiors back to back and with the exception of the guages the EVO is better IMHO, when I first saw the EVO interior I thought it looked cheap, it has grown on me and the function of it is great, and the materials are good as well. On close inspection of the STi interior, the dash design is poor, the materials look cheap and it doesn't flow with the rest of the interior and now, doesn't even match the exterior (round a/c vents, with no round headlights), I was shocked to see that the rear seats in the STi are not even of the same material as the front seats, and what they are covered in was obviously cheap material that I doubt will hold up to much use. The rear seat in the STi is small, and at my 5'11 height, my head hit the back window and my legs had to squeeze in the back and i'm only 120 lbs.

On exteriors the STi does look good in a totally different way than the EVO, the only thing I don't like about the STi is driving behind the STi, that wing doesn't look like it belongs to that car, at least's the EVO's big wing is aligned to the rear pillars and looks like the factory put it on and designed it for the car. At least in red and yellow, I prefer the aggressive EVO styling, but as I said, the STi still looks good, just in a different way.

The engine bay looks better on the STi, just in that there is more room to work and add things, yes I prefer FMIC, but at least you can clean the STi's intercooler. But when it gets down to it, the looks don't matter on these cars.

The only reasons why I would see myself trading in for the STi is I put close to 5K miles a month on my car, and just lately the ride is starting to bother me. If I was racing, I'd stick with the EVO, but I don't. The community surrounding around the wrx/sti is much stronger in the way of forums, dealerships and activities, at least in the North East. My fear is if I drive the STi, I will be willing to forgo the awesome steering, and amazing mountain handling for a little every day comfort and wider powerband. I will miss the sunroof and rear wiper, but again, those aren't two things that would make me keep the EVO. I love my EVO and will most likely keep it longer than most of my pasts cars, but I've desired the STi for a long time and don't trust myself.
Very interesting & honest story there bud.... sounds like you were ready to buy the STi that day, but then the evo dealer treated you with allot more respect than the Scoobie dealer. FWIW... the STi's wider power becomes a nonfactor after a few evo mods.... but as gar as the suspension.... a softer ride means inferior handling.... that's the tradeoff man. I've put Tein drop springs on mine... and it's 15% stiffer than stock, so yes I know... but I look at this way... if I wanted comfortable suspension.... I would have bought a G35 or something in that category. At any rate.... good luck to you, and I hope things work out.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by emulous
The only reasons why I would see myself trading in for the STi is I put close to 5K miles a month on my car, and just lately the ride is starting to bother me.
5k miles a month I barely put that on my car each year.. That's alot of windshield time.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 02:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by NOVA EVO
HELL and NO!!!
I second that.. For as much as I respect the car, I'd never consider trading this car for it.. I might consider trading it in for a Supercharged Hemi powered 2005 Magnum Wagon, or a SL55AMG Mercedes.. but thats it..
Old Sep 26, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
what you smoking? I smoking STI's with my evo but what are you on bro?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 02:20 PM

my answer

I feel that most people in the market for a car such as the STi and EVO have done their research on the car. Personally I chose the Mitsubishi because of past family experiences with Subies. Subies are just a ***** to work on, and the Mits is so easy. I like the more boxy shape of the EVO better, and the whole general look inside and out, its conservative, besides the wing. haha. But I like it, and would never even consider the the thought

"United We Stand"