Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Review: 1500 miles and loving it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: 1500 miles and loving it

Sorry, slipped into my 1337 h4X05 mode.

This car is an absolute blast. I tell you even with the slightly numb clutch (still better than my 330i ever was), I cannot get enough seat time in this thing! After babying her for the break-in period of 1000 miles, I finally got to taste the redline and oh how addicting it is. My gas mileage has been horrible lately.

Anyhow, here are my initial impressions after driving my Evo VIII for 1500 miles in almost 2 weeks:
  • The handling of this car is outstanding, particularly in the dry. It doesn't feel as confident as my 330 did in the wet, but I attribute that to the tires and the lack of sound insulation. I like it, actually. The rear wiper is mad cool also, very JDM.
  • I have apparently been inducted into the DSM Hall of Respect around here because every DSM'er I see gives me props or thumbs up or knods of appreciation for this car. All I ever got in the 3'er was the finger!
  • I am already dropping cash on mods, it's out of hand how much money I will have to take from my drinking/partying funds and transfer to my new "car mods" fund. Oh well it's healthier and more fun anyhow.
  • I have a slight steering wheel vibration ~ 65-75mph, which is getting checked out next week (wheel balance I suspect)
  • I have 1 rattle, and it's so minor I can't hear it over the road noise if I'm going > 50mph. No big whoop.
  • I have the decel noise, and I've come to like it. I am changing the center diff/tranny fluids next week.
  • These seats ROCK! Long trips are no problem, and the lack of cruise control hasn't bothered me at all. I thought for sure I'd miss it but really I enjoy the in/out of boost/no boost in 5th gear. The car just pulls to 100+mph effortlessly. It's ridiculous actually.
  • I can hear (not feel) the rotors slowly warping. By that I mean I can hear the pads in the morning rub harder in certain spots as the rotors rotate. Ferodo rotors/pads to come.
  • I absolutely love this "turbo heat" thing. The car blows hot air after about 15 seconds of driving. Winter will actually be comfortable this year!!
  • The blue inner fabric on my driver seat has separated from the seat padding, so it kind of bubbles out down the middle. Luckily I'm in good w/ my dealership and the district rep is going to give me a new seat. Pretty good deal I think, no jerry-rigged fixes you know?
I tell you there's just something so intoxicating about this car, the way it nimbly flows through traffic, or the mach-3 g-forces you feel whilst merging on the highway through the top of 3rd gear. 4th pulls like a mother too! It's great!

Now on to my first kill story...*
I was turning onto the highway yesterday and a last-gen Firebird Formula was right behind me. He decided to give me a run so I outcornered him turning onto the onramp and proceded to OWN him all the way through 4th gear (~ 110mph). I just pulled away from him, must have gained 4-5 car lengths by the time it was all over. It was possibly the most satisfying run I've had in a long time. The best part is that when I got off the highway, he pulled up along side me and gave me the knod and a smile! Respect from a Firebird owner!! Unreal. I gave him the thumbs up.

I tell you this car is a rice rocket on crack. I absolutely love it when other people think it's just some F&F riced out Lancer, then I procede to leave them behind through 2nd gear as they deperately try to keep up. Such a futile effort.

All in all this is possibly the best automotive move I've made, ever. I cannot wait to start modding this thing. My HKS type 1 will be here Monday, and my SS clutch line likely Wednesday. Fields harness is coming next week also to prep me for my safc-ii and avc-r install (hopefully next month). Then I will start with the bolt-ons (d/v, intake, turboback, etc.). Thanks to everyone who made this an easy decision for me!

* I do not condone street racing, and if you give me **** about it I will be forced to shove something extremely painful up your ***. =)
Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

nice man...

may i highly recommend you take out the clutch restrictor, and also getting a stainless steel clutch line... makes a huge difference in the wear of your stock clutch...

Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I plan on exorcising the restrictor when I do the clutch line install. There is definite slippage happening during fast/hard/high rpm shifts.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:08 AM

Good kill! I can't wait to snag an EVO

"I live my life one rotary motor at a time. And for those 10,000 miles or less, I'm free."
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

bricke, you are gonna have a good ol' time.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by webguy330i
bricke, you are gonna have a good ol' time.
I would anticipate that being the case

"I live my life one rotary motor at a time. And for those 10,000 miles or less, I'm free."
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

hahaha thats ****ed up...I hope this is all in fun though welcome!! you should do the possible canyon run this weekend esp since I won't be the only blue one there (if weather holds up) LOTS of F&*^&^#(@@#%& fun!!!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Indeed they are hatching as I type this.

Jamdown what are you talking about re: canyon run??
Old Sep 23, 2003, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Hey bricke, just wondering if you made the move yet.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 08:54 AM

Hey bricke, just wondering if you made the move yet.
Not yet. I have had a ton of interest in my FD but no one seems to have the money. It seems 75% of those looking at my FD are 21 or younger and don't have the money, but just come over to see it. It's getting annoying. I have even had a few people ask me if I will take payments on it! LOL
Old Sep 23, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Webguy... i just test drove an EVO yesterday. one word: AMAZING.

I just learned stick, and my current car is a 97 toyota corolla.. OMFG this thing was so siiiiiiick.

btw.. i'm picking up a white one this weekend.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

AltezzaRoku, take some time to really learn 5spd on a regular Lancer. Don't abuse that beautiful new WW Evo! And congrats! Now do you agree with my switch from the 330 -> Evo?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

bricke, well good luck selling that beast. Have you considered putting it mostly back to stock to sell it and selling the parts separately?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:39 AM

bricke, well good luck selling that beast. Have you considered putting it mostly back to stock to sell it and selling the parts separately?
I would consider it had I the parts. Most of them were sold off in the past 4 years as upgrades were done. I didn't like the cluter in the garage. I give it another month before it sells, then I can join the EVO club
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

AltezzaRoku, take some time to really learn 5spd on a regular Lancer. Don't abuse that beautiful new WW Evo! And congrats!
hahaha.. i know what you mean. I learned stick on an integra GSR with clutchmasters stage II clutch on there. The stock evo is waaaay easier to drive. I'm gonna be driving like a grandpa for a while tho!! haha

Now do you agree with my switch from the 330 -> Evo?

oh hell ya... the evo felt different than anything i've driven before.