Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

LOL... AutoWeek says Redesign planned for ’07 model year, with room for a V6

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2003, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mom just picked up a G35 last weekend and I was talking to sales about a possible "gtr" coming next year. He hinted that if it did come, it would come as an infiniti.....
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by evomk8

Actually, no one really knows what type of engine will power the GT-R. The venerable RB26DETT will NOT be used. Furthermore, it appears Nissan has abandoned turbos altogether, which means we will likely get a N/A V8 GT-R. Also, the GT-R will cost A LOT more than the EVO.

They'll be using the VQ 3.5L that they are using in the 350z, and every other up-scale Nissan. That is pretty much a guarentee. With the amount of R&D that went into the engine and how much power they can get out of it and at different power bands, the thing is amazing.

Add some forged internals, remap the fuel and add an exhaust, headers and other goodies and it can easily make 400hp.....well there's your Skyline right there.

If not it'd be very easy to tune the current 3.5L VQ to meet 280hp.

As for the twin turbo part.....aftermarket....you know if you owned one you'd do it anyways so why pay $7000 for a factory turbo system.

The GTR will probably cost $50,000
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:46 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Buckkaaaa!!
My mom just picked up a G35 last weekend and I was talking to sales about a possible "gtr" coming next year. He hinted that if it did come, it would come as an infiniti.....
don't you know that salesman know ****.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
I would spend $60K tomorrow for a GT-R with a 4.0 V8 or a 3.5 TT V6. No problem. Everything I've read points to the 350Z as Nissan's "halo car" and the GT-R would fill that niche with Infiniti. Remember that the Skyline is here already as an Infiniti, so the GT-R would slot right in. Maybe even called the G35 GT-R to keep the name recognizable to consumers. Also, not many people would spring for a $60K Nissan. Badge snobbery and all that... That is why Honda created Acura to sell the NSX. Everywhere else it's a Honda NSX. The future looks good no matter what Mitsu does.
maybe you are just one of the lucky people that can afford it, but the truth is that avg EVO owner will NOT be able to buy a 60k skyline if it came out tomorrow. i'm willing to bet, that less than 10% of the Evo owners will be able to buy Skyline in 2007 if 60k was the price. by 2005, c6 z06 costing only around 55k would already have nearly 500hp! i would think twice before writing a 60k check... basically, nissan should somehow lower the price, skyline has no name recognition like vette does, and if they flop(sales-wise) w/ this GTR, we may NEVER see it again in US. i hope they just make 360hp car for 40k and market it for enthusiasts growing out of their EVO and STi. that way sales will be good enough and we will continue to get skylines in US.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by chinalfr
V8 GT-R. NOOOooooooo........ I rather get a Corvette or Mustang Cobra if I choose to go V8. Turbo all the way.
boy are you in for a rude awakening. in the future most of the fast cars will sport v8. i hate this too, but as manufacturers try to one-up each other, need for bigger engines arise. next gen m3/4 will probably be v8, and s4 already has them.

if you hate vette and mustangs because of low tech push rod, wait till you see bmw v8. there will be nothing low tech about it.(just look at m5/z8) in order to keep up, skyline will eventually need a v8. no one wants a legendary GTR to get dusted by GT car like m3. for now though vq will do, i guess.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:46 PM

Nono ,Mitsu already made that mistake ... puttin a v-6 into a awd car... *cough*3000gt VR4 *cough cough*

Inline-6 twin turbo AWD sedan ?!?! - Evo 9 a rally car?
that just wouldn't be right......
Nissan and Subaru would be angery.

---
Maybe they meant room for a v6 in the way that there'll be more room for mods ...
it'll be a stock 555 hp inline-4.

Last edited by Hien; Sep 19, 2003 at 04:51 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

I would hardly consider the 3000GT VR-4 a mistake.. yes it is heavy and yes stock it produces ****y numbers... but thats because you guys are using the 1/4 as its example.. sorry to break the news, the car isn't ment for the 1/4... neither is the Evo..it just does good at it... The VR-4 at the time was also used for experimental with all its Upgraded tech. like Active Aerodynamics and Controlled Ride Suspension...

If the GTR does come out..it will be under Nissian.. unless if they decide to take a route like Honda.. They split, there's a GTR and Skyline... our Skyline is the G35.. because all the skyline is, a luxery version of the GT-R with less power... most likely it will be stripped down.. (not as much as the EVO) and sold under nissian... only reason i can see them selling under infiniti is if they wanted to increase value.. like Honda sales their beloved NSX under Acura.. since it's their luxery line and has more potential for value holdings...

Don't even think the GT-R is going to be anything under 40k... the G35 is all ready around 35k.. with its AWD system comming out later this year.. that price will go up a little... and Nissian will probbaly sell this car at around 45k.. i doubt they can go to much higher.. because they need to compete.. and if they try to compete with the NSX, just like it, they won't get too many sales...

I am really begining to wonder how much of a good idea it is for Nissian to bring it over here... i'm not sure if many ppl will be able to drop 45-50k on a Nissian like they used too with all the knew competition..if they do bring it over.. i think there going to have a tough time with sales.. but thas jus my oppinion..

Sorry for this long post..
Old Sep 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

If it grows fat and turns into a "touring car" then I will definitely consider the AWD Cosworth turbo version of the Focus, assuming it makes US production. Small, lightweight turbo 4s are way up on my list of fun cars.

By the way, FlatSixTurbo, the Cobra has a 4.6L dual overhead cam V8, no pushrods in Mustangs since 1995. Still has numb mushy handling thanks to the rack and pinion, plus the 3600 pound curb weight.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

skyline has no name recognition like vette does
I hope you were joking about that comment.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ImportPePe

no i'm not. however, i see that i failed to specify what i mean. i meant to say "no name recognition to general public." some old american folks had vette as their childhood "dream car." and some realize their "dream" by buying it. skyline is only recognized by enthusiasts, kinda like EVO. not many know/care about how skyline was banned from such such race series for being TOO FAST, etc. i know and you know that EVO is an awesome car, but it DOES NOT have the "name" as i still hear people say bad things about EVO. now if general public only knew about WRC history...
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 2Cool

By the way, FlatSixTurbo, the Cobra has a 4.6L dual overhead cam V8, no pushrods in Mustangs since 1995. Still has numb mushy handling thanks to the rack and pinion, plus the 3600 pound curb weight.
oops, you are right. i should have known better. i knew that but something about mustang keeps telling me it's really pushrod inside. thanks for reminding me
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

isnt the pajero evolution a 6?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Next gtr power plant

Originally posted by slowTsi
The next GTR will be a twin turbo version of the 3.5 vq engine. It is currently being develpoed by Cosworth and is expected to produce 440 hp. The engine will use magnetic valves before the turbochargers to divert gasses around them in certain circumstances to reduce emissions and speed cat light off. I read this imformation in one of the big 3 magazine issues on the news stand now. The car will most likely be sold as an Infiniti in'07. For all of you people saying you would buy one i will agree with you but remeber it's going to be close to 60k.
Just to update my info-around 480hp-in the new issue of car and driver with the xlr on the cover
Old Sep 21, 2003, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ImportPePe

Actually, I wouldn't be joking about that comment too. Most americans don't know jack about the EVO or the STI, what make you think they know what the skyline is? Maybe they been playing lots of GT but thats the extent of knowledge they have. Ask them about a mustang or a vett, then they can tell you about it. Not to put anyone down, but many americans are ignorant of other cultures and their technologies. Until the recent import of the EVO/STI, ask how many tipical americans know about these cars.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Boosted
isnt the pajero evolution a 6?
RalliArt tuned 3.5l V6 MIVEC (6G74) good for about 300hp with race fuel.