Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

seatbelts are stayed locked...cant buckle up...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seatbelts are stayed locked...cant buckle up...

tookk the seatbelt assembly off and went to go try and put it back on and its like locked in place and i cant pull the seatbelt...HELP ANYONE>??? gotta get the car back together...
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

usually when seat belts lock up like that, that means there broken

my old cars locked up when i got in a wreck and i had to buy new ones
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front or rear? The rears have this feature for use w/child booster seats, so that if you pull them out all the way, you engage a ratchet, that *only* allows them to retract, until they are almost all the way retracted, and then it resets to normal action.

If it's the fronts, maybe the inertial mechanism is fubar? AFAIK it's just a little ball bearing in a cage, so in theory it shouldn't get stuck.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not familiar with the belts in evo's, but most cars are usually all the same. There's three things that I can think of that can be the cause. First the seat belt might not be straight up and down. There's a mechanism inside that has a ball and when it becomes unseated it locks the seat belt. You know when you turn hard or slam on the brakes and it locks the belt, that's what that mechanism is for. The second thing is the pretensioner could be blown. Its a safety mechanism for when you crash. The pretensioner blows and locks the seat belt. Only way to fix is to replace the whole thing. Finally you could have a foriegn object in there preventing it from moving. I worked on a car that had the rear glass smashed and pieces of glass were lodged in the seat belt and when you pulled on it the glass dug deeper into the belt preventing it from moving.

What I suggest you do is remove the seat belt and check for foriegn objects. If you don't see any hold it in your hand while pulling on the belt. Keep moving it around while pulling on it until you are able to get the belt to move. Then you know it was installed crooked. If it doesn't move, get a new one. My bet is its installed crooked.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I would try the stealership,a junk yard or the part out section on the forums. Something like that I would think the stealership would change asap if your under warranty or not.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:30 PM

yea ill bring it to the dealership i guess... i took it off to paint interior pieces black and both were messed up but i got the driver side to work...idk how or why but it did... maybe ill take it apart tomorrow and try to fix it
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:25 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
ever figure it out?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

I'd take it to a dealer. They should fix that for you no matter what since it's a huge safety issue (assuming you're still under 5 year warranty).
Old Jun 24, 2009, 06:31 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
switch the belts ...you have the driver on the passenger side and the opposite