Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sunroof: what is the weight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof: what is the weight?

I was wondering if the weight was significant a factor on center of gravity or maybe the hole in the steel has an effect on body stiffness?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

Probably not, though no one can really say for sure. I've no idea what it weighs, though I'd guess 20-30 lbs. And you're probabaly removing 10 lbs of roof to put it in, so net 10-20 lbs. This is all guesswork though and you're unlikely to find anyone with more solid answers...
-N
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

I thought it was about 40 lbs... And no, there is no difference in the way they handle... My Yellow has a sunroof, and the blue one I drive often doesn't.. They are exactly the same... Actually, I think my car rides more stiff... The Blue is more cushion-y...
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

35lbs....

http://www.mitsucars.com/lancerevolution/specs.html
Old Sep 19, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

OT: Jonasan, you got two Evo's?!?!

On topic: It's around 35 lbs, but I prefer a performance car with no sunroof so yeah.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

oh please, like having a sunroof is really gonna make that big of a difference.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:11 AM

in theory, with all things being equal, i would assume that an evo with an additional 35lb of roof weight would be slightly slightly slower than an equal evo that is 35lbs lighter. Shouldn't affect anything to really matter in the real world though.

But if you're like me, I'm trying to shave weight off to get to the magical 2999lb mark and no sunroof gives me a 35lb head start.

I have lightweight Volk le28n (16.5lb) coming as well and forged lug nuts....Next is a light weight battery relocated to the rear.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

35 pounds is extremely insignificant...if you are trying to find out if you want a sunroof or not...GET THE SUNROOF! You won't be disappointed (unless you live on the artic circle or in the rain forests).
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

I can not drive the car hard enough for it to begin to make a difference but in a 10 tenths race preped car I know they frown on the sun roof. OMG think of what 35lbs that far from above the axle line will do the the center of gravity and the roll characteristics..not to mention the ridgidity issues....I actually had a salesman tell me that he would not buy one with "a hole in the roof"... yea.. sure... sour grapes eh. he probably has to have his wife drive him to work in her Yugo. Sun roofs are fun, wish I had one again.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me, life sucks without the sunroof.

I will try to shave the extra weight from the sunroof on other area. Maybe going to gym and workout.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

ohhh, just go on a diet
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

I think if your EVO is a track-only car, then you probably need the weight savings . This EVO is my daily driver, so I would like to enjoy the scenery . Just don't diss sunroof owners because you don't have a sunroof but have subs in the trunk , 19's, and a case of beer in the trunk.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ImportPePe
OT: Jonasan, you got two Evo's?!?!

On topic: It's around 35 lbs, but I prefer a performance car with no sunroof so yeah.
Yeah kinda.. My best friend and I trade often..
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

My last three cars have had sunroofs, and the car before that had a removable (targa) roof.

I haven't once missed having a sunroof in the Evo, and I do use it as a daily driver, and did so all summer long.

As far as 35 lbs being insignificant... I don't agree. A general rule of thumb is that every 10 lbs of weight savings is like an extra 1 HP. But cutting weight doesn't just improve acceleration, it also improves braking and cornering. If you use your car for competition like I do, don't get a sunroof. Maybe saving 0.05 seconds through a corner is insignificant to you -- and if you only drive on the street, it should be -- but on a typical autocross course, that might add up to a half second, a huge difference.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Think of it this way. Take a nice full size battery and strap it to the roof of you car. That's the worst place for weight. Why not spend the money on an exhaust or something?