Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone Rallied their Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Rallied their Evo?

Hey,

Took my Evo onto 80km of dirt road this past weekend. That was the most fun I have ever had in a car, even compared to any (paved) race track experience I have had in this, or any other car!

There was everything from fords over the road (Where a river spills over the road - to wombats (Imagine a 70kg Hamster, and you have a rough idea of what a wombat is) and flocks of Cockatoos and Magpies (Native birds)

We were approaching most corners at about 80km/h (50mph)with an apex speed of about 60km/h. Some corners were drifted, most were just gripped and caned around. The amount of grip the Evo has on dirt is unbelievable. I did slide a bit too far one corner and came within about 1 foot of a solid rock wall. The navigator at the time almost **** himself. (We swapped driver/navigator every 15km)

The actual course wasn't a rally though. There were no competing cars, there were no clocks. (It took us about 1h:10m) We just had a very detailed map, a very cool car, and a pair of very devious minds in the car. We were in a car convoy of SUVs, who took 35 minutes longer to catch up with us.

There are now lots of stone chips on my body kit and mag wheels, but it was worth every single one of them. If you haven't done this before and don't mind a little bit of cosmetic damage to your car, then go for it!
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Have you seen the tires that come on an VIII? Dirt roads.... Scary. Very Scary.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

would probably void your warranty here...
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
you have a cage in that car?

think about it
Old Sep 26, 2003, 01:53 AM

finally, somebody having true fun in the evo! I care about cosmetics too much to drive like that, but i'm glad you had fun. however the tire issue is scary, and it might be worth buying some tarmac/dirt tires with another set of rims to swap out on days like that.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:26 AM

just driving on wet grass is hard. i found that out when i took a photoshoot with my car
Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

1) It's a 1999 Evo VI. No warranty left

2) Not the original tyres. These are good quality Yokohamas.

3) Handled predictably and controllably over everything, from mud to dirt to river.

4) Myself and the other drive are both Christians. We have no fear of death... Permanent injury on the other hand....

I just drove the car how it was designed to be driven.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

we have "rallycross" here in Pennsylvania... but most of the cars appear to be lifted alittle bit (mostly old awd celica's)....

they hit some little jumps here and there that would destroy the evo... so I have not participated.....
Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

sounds awesome! maybe after my new VIII downgrades to a beater car i'll try it!