Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ebay Harness Bar?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bggstin
I'd never buy an ebay anything. Unless of course it was a used quality piece being sold. Ebay parts are cheaper because the materials and quality are cheaper...not really something I want in a harness bar.
I usally agree with that, on the other had their prices are usally lower because their R&D and production costs are much lower.

From a design standpoind the Ebay piece looks to be pretty sound. I like the fact that plugs are welded into each end of the tube. Assuming, they extend into the tube a ways, this will create a stronger connection point to the tube than just welding it to the seat belt flange. The flange that connects to the upper seatbelt bolt also looks to be a pretty good design. The bar mount is welded perpendicular to the flange. This creates a gusset for the flange making it stronger. You do have fasteners in double shear but if you select the proper size/grade that won't be a problem. The lower bars aren't so much of an issue but look to be the same as most designs.

The only thing i don't know is the materials and welding process. That will probably keep me from using it. As far as the design goes it looks just as sound as the big name units. Infact, i would prefer this mounting design over the sparco unit.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

It looks good some ebay stuff is good buy it test it out let us know
we should have an ebay thred i had exhaust on my 9 for 3 years problem free & it was 230 shipped for turbo back made over 500 hp on it too
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

All this talk has lit a fire. I am going to design and build my own harness bar. I may build a few more and try to sell them if it all works out. Time to get my mechanics stuff out and go to work. I will be using SolidWorks to model/ make the prints. I will probably also use it to do some light FEA as well.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
different grades of metal make the difference between good and bad quality. For instance, if you could smack it against the ground or bend it with your foot when you kick down on it----it's probably a very low grade folded metal----whereas the higher grade metals are harder, folded over better and tempered better, to be less brital---thus they are more expensive---

kinda like if you're the type of personwho buys knives----the expensive knives look just like the cheap knives---difference is high grade metals are usually used in the expensive ones---hence the price---

you get what you pay for----and when safety is on the line----don't buy a cheap one, unless you are doing it for aesthetics only, and don't ever intend to actually rely on it....even then it's kind of a waste of cash.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
eBay & safety shouldn't really be used in the same sentence unless there's a well recognized brand in the mix.
Ebay is just a market place where you can find a lot of products, can't really put a "=" sign between ebay and quality. there are tons of brand names products on there too. How do you know that brand name product is always safe? are they all DOT approved?
A lot of brand name manufactures have their products manufacture in South East Asia to save money and they turn around sell them at mutilple times of the cost. But a lot of ebay parts are made here in America by quality people that willing to sell car parts at a reasonable price. For example, SS autochrome O2 housing, and I am sure there are others great products too.

Last edited by fugiwara; Mar 11, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
I just got the piece and love it. Get the one that was made just for our cars not that adjustable crap that will fit almost every car out there. My friend has been running it for couple years now and no problems.
You can trust this guy, I saw his ebay harness bar in person 2 days ago, very impressed Very solid piece, I am consider getting one too.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greell
different grades of metal make the difference between good and bad quality. For instance, if you could smack it against the ground or bend it with your foot when you kick down on it----it's probably a very low grade folded metal----whereas the higher grade metals are harder, folded over better and tempered better, to be less brital---thus they are more expensive---

kinda like if you're the type of personwho buys knives----the expensive knives look just like the cheap knives---difference is high grade metals are usually used in the expensive ones---hence the price---

you get what you pay for----and when safety is on the line----don't buy a cheap one, unless you are doing it for aesthetics only, and don't ever intend to actually rely on it....even then it's kind of a waste of cash.
There are more properties to a given material than its resistance to being kinked when you step on it, lol. There are many types of material from a low carbon steel to a 4140 chrome molly which is much stronger. Then you have the forming process, weather it be DOM or seam welded. After that you have to take into account the OD and wall thickness. Nice try, but there is a lot more that goes into it.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes there are more properties that determine the quality of metal. I only gave one (the one most likely relevant to ebay-quality metals)

Had you wanted a more in depth explanation as to the determinants of "quality" I'm sure I could write you a more in depth, detailed, justification---not like you need it, but just sayin----I figured the fore mention of how it is tempered (which is one of the highest determinants of a metals end-state fabrication quality) would be enough to satisfy the original posters question, which was asking the quality of an ebay product---i gave a brief description as to a few reasons and ways it is NOT a quality product.

Take a high-grade piece of metal, temper it wrong, and you can smash it with a hammer like glass because it has become far too brittle-----not saying that's the case with ebay products----but i'm sure its not all that far off.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greell
Yes there are more properties that determine the quality of metal. I only gave one (the one most likely relevant to ebay-quality metals)

Had you wanted a more in depth explanation as to the determinants of "quality" I'm sure I could write you a more in depth, detailed, justification---not like you need it, but just sayin----I figured the fore mention of how it is tempered (which is one of the highest determinants of a metals end-state fabrication quality) would be enough to satisfy the original posters question, which was asking the quality of an ebay product---i gave a brief description as to a few reasons and ways it is NOT a quality product.

Take a high-grade piece of metal, temper it wrong, and you can smash it with a hammer like glass because it has become far too brittle-----not saying that's the case with ebay products----but i'm sure its not all that far off.
The "ebay" bar is most likely made of a 1000 series low carbon steel. It is not heat treated or tempered in any way. Its tensile strength is probably around 30,000 psi. Now take for example some 4130 alloy, this type of alloy is usually heat treated and then tempered to reduce its brittleness. It's tensile strength is around 80,000 psi. This alloy is usally twice as expensive but as you can deduct from the tensile strength, almost 3 times as strong.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 04:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fugiwara
Ebay is just a market place where you can find a lot of products, can't really put a "=" sign between ebay and quality. there are tons of brand names products on there too. How do you know that brand name product is always safe? are they all DOT approved?
A lot of brand name manufactures have their products manufacture in South East Asia to save money and they turn around sell them at mutilple times of the cost. But a lot of ebay parts are made here in America by quality people that willing to sell car parts at a reasonable price. For example, SS autochrome O2 housing, and I am sure there are others great products too.
EVERYTHING SSautochrome sells is made overseas and I didn't say that all eBay parts were junk, I said ebay parts without brand names relating to safety were questionable.

An o2 housing doesn't pertain to safety
Old Jun 8, 2010, 08:44 AM

For the record, a harness bar really isn't a safety part anyway. Its purpose is to stiffen the chassis and provide a place to attach harness'. In the event of a rollover it will probably do more harm than anything to you. There have been issues of them causing spine and neck injuries. So really if you are looking for safety, rollcage.