Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Aem gauges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a complete compliment of AEM gauges in my car, They look awsome, perform well and they can be logged with a laptop just by simply making a serial cable or later connected to an EMS. On top of that most of them come with top of the line sensors (i.e. Bosch O2, AEM 3.5/5 bar map)

The only complaints I have with them is the wiring to them is a bit thick per gauge so if you get a few of them going to the same spot you really have to negotiate some space to accomodate the wires, and they do not make a pyrometer (EGT) gauge for some unknown reason.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 03:48 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't know if anyone is familiar with the 100psi sensors, they have a recall for the brass one's, they are prone to leak big time.
aem has since stopped using that subcontractor and replacing the brass sensors with a longer updated style.
people should check the brass sensors for leaks, the leak is coming from the release valve located inside the electrical connection.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running the tru boost and it works flawlessly. since day 1
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:57 AM

i have two friends that have had the wide band a/f gauge one had it on a srt4 and the other was on a honda, the kid with the srt4 was running leaded fuel and the sensors were going out every like 2 weeks i believe but i think that was because of the lead, and the kid with the honda said that the sensor went bad after it had warmed up in the exhaust after the first install. i have the tru boost gauge and its awesome i and i plan to buy more of the aem gauges so i was just wondering what the problems were if any for an evo. thanks for your info
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
whats the benefits of the aem gauges? what are the benefits of other gauges? I don't think aem gauges cost that much and you certainly get a top notch product. Yeah it reads out digital so what if you don't like it then get something else.
calm down bro, didn't mean to get you all fired up
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I have just the normal AEM boost gauge (not controller) and it seems to work fine. The only complaint I would have is that vacuum only reads in even number increments. And compared to my stock MR gauge, the vacuum readings seem a tad off.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by krisdlm
calm down bro, didn't mean to get you all fired up
its all good dude, aem gauges are good stuff and fairly priced I think. They are in the middle range between gauges like autometer and on the high end defi's.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JBud72
I have just the normal AEM boost gauge (not controller) and it seems to work fine. The only complaint I would have is that vacuum only reads in even number increments. And compared to my stock MR gauge, the vacuum readings seem a tad off.
hmm thats weird, my aem gauge reads even or odd number in vacuum. Also, I'm not sure which gauge to follow actually. I've heard that the stock mr boost gauge isn't accurate. So i tend to believe in the aem more.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

i have the truboost with 5 bar map sensor and it reads off a bit but holds boost consistant with duty cycle selcted and have had no problems whatsoever, and it uses a good selenoid as well(mac valve). i like the consistency of the boost controller but the uego has a small lag in read time when compared with a zeitronix.

i personally wish i had saved the money and spent the $500 it takes to get the whole zeitronix outfit. egt, boost, afr & lambda with a guage or lcd display. It reads the most accurately that i know of and is ready for datalogging with no problems with tuning software or datalogging software.

plus the dashdaq is really cool and you can get the whole kit minus boost sensor and egt probe for $700.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
hmm thats weird, my aem gauge reads even or odd number in vacuum. Also, I'm not sure which gauge to follow actually. I've heard that the stock mr boost gauge isn't accurate. So i tend to believe in the aem more.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
what the problem is?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo noob
i have two friends that have had the wide band a/f gauge one had it on a srt4 and the other was on a honda, the kid with the srt4 was running leaded fuel and the sensors were going out every like 2 weeks i believe but i think that was because of the lead, and the kid with the honda said that the sensor went bad after it had warmed up in the exhaust after the first install. i have the tru boost gauge and its awesome i and i plan to buy more of the aem gauges so i was just wondering what the problems were if any for an evo. thanks for your info
Yes, leaded fuel causes the sensor to fail prematurely. Not sure about the honda guy. I've had 2 uegos (1 for almost a year) and have yet to have a problem with them. I also have a truboost and oil temp gauge. No problems with any of them at all.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 07:48 PM

I love having my a/f in front me to monitor... no problems with my UEGO... plus with the wires available to make a quick wideband connection to a laptop is handy
Old Mar 13, 2009, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

The only bad thing I have ever heard about the AEM Gauges was on the Oil Pressure... It leaking oil from the cheap plastic sender.. but they are now making them with stainless senders.. and AEM is not the only one that has issues with the oil pressure gauges..
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

i have the AEM a/f gauge too its great works fine idk who told you otherwise.

Quick Reply: Aem gauges