Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Audi guy thinking about switching to an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I guess I'm not such a rebel afterall! I too am thinking about dumping my 2000 Audi S4. I love the car but the potential for five figure repair bills are keeping me awake at night. I've already been screwed by the National Warranty bankruptcy debacle so I'm not keen on dumping $3,000 into another warranty. I can dump my S4 and pick up the Evo for less than $10K out of pocket.

Am I nuts? Is my cushy *** going to miss the luxury of the S4?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by propellerhead

Am I nuts? Is my cushy *** going to miss the luxury of the S4?
Actually Prop, some of the guys on the AudiWorld.com forums have Evo's as "2nd" cars. Mind you, they drive S4's, and can afford to have both. I don't know what kind of jobs they hold, but that's ridiculious if you ask me.

I for one am thinking to myself:

"Luxury.... or Fun?" Reason being is the S4 is one hell of a car. Don't get me wrong, I really think Audi has made an truly awesome car, but the upgrade path, reliability and so forth on Audi's is lacking. Repairs that are easily 4 digits sucks *** and I don't think dumping more money into them is the answer.

Quite frankly I feel good about the decesion to leave Audi and try out and see how it works out.

People can ***** about the apperance of the car, I for one love it's looks. Audi guys have engine envy (and weight ratio envy) as a highly tuned A4/S4 can still be beaten by a stock Evo. That's food for thought. :-)

One of the best quote from the AudiWorld.com forums was:

"Aaron, I can't believe you want that ugly piece of rice!!"

and a reply to that by someone else mind you:

"Yeah, but that rice will stir fry your car... and probably mine too!"
Old Sep 26, 2003, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Aaron, it sounds like we're on the same fence.

As I said, I love my S4. If I could afford both, I'd buy the Evo in heartbeat and mod the crap out of that instead of the S4. When I bought the S4 my thinking was "it has everything you want, chip it and you'll be happy". Heh.

I don't mind the looks of the Evo. In fact I began to consider one after I saw one on the road that didn't have the large rear wing. Instead it had a smaller one. Is the lack of the large rear wing common? Anyway, I started crunching the numbers in my head, both from the standpoint of maintenance and future mods. I quickly realized that I could dump $3K to $5K into the Evo and far surpass the performance envelop created by dumping $10K worth of mods into the S4.

BTW, I am one of those AW guys that has engine/weight ratio envy. I'd love to be able to track and autocross my S4. I'm not motivated, it's too much of a pig. It will require $3K just in suspension mods to keep up with the Evo on the track.

I'll be going for a test drive in the Evo this weekend.