Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Audi guy thinking about switching to an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Audi guy thinking about switching to an EVO

Alright guys.

Here's the deal.

I'm driving an '91 Audi 100 FWD Auto. Some mods here and there, and I have had a '00 S4 in the past 4 months, but the turbos blew, so I kindly gave it back to Audi and said: "You have it...." and walked away.

So now, I'm kinda sitting on some money that I have left over from that adventure, and then some.

Friend of mine has a '03 Evo VIII and I've driven it and love it!!! Anyways.... I have a couple of n00b Mitsu questions that hopefully you guys can address.....

1.) Going from an Automatic to a 5spd in miminal/heavy traffic, am I'm going to burn the clutch (cuz yes, I can still stall 5spds with the best of them) ?

2.) Money wise, I'm based here in Portland, Oregon and I was wondering if anyone in the region or in Washington State is selling the EVO's for MSRP or below that I can "trust".

3.) Mods wise. I'm thinking Hardpipping, intake, exhaust, turbo timer and maybe a bigger turbo later on down the road.... what kind of HP gains are we going to be able to get from these types of upgrades!?

4.) NW weather. Rain... Snow... etc. Tires!!! What kind of tires are the best ALL round that I could slap on the Enkei (sp?) rims and not worry about having to change them?

Just to let people know, I'm thinking of Black just because I love the way it looks. Blue kinda had me for a while, but I'm thinking black.

Also, is storage good? I'm a drummer and haul my kit around, so have you guys had to haul any big *** stuff around?

Thanks guys!
-Aaron-
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:17 PM

Judging by the name you picked, you have already mentally bought and EVO! Whats 30k? buy one already, you'll love it!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah man, why worry now about the worst could happen to your future Evo. Just buy the Evo first, have fun and then come here more often for some tips on mods and troubleshooting the car. Besides, thats what the warranty is for. You'll be glad you bought the Evo coz its an amazing car and it do a lot of things an automatic can't do. Black is a good choice. I got a black too and I had my Evo for 4 months now with minor mods and so far I don't have any problems except 1 inch nail got stuck on my tire. But I fixed it for $4 with a tire repair kit. Just make up your mind, get your money's worth and have fun with your new car.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Get the EVO! Space is good enough. Trunk and back seats! There you go. As for upgrades. There is plenty of stuff to get later. The EVO is great right out the box! A 4door AWD turbo that's kick a$$. What more can you ask for!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

I will be getting the EVO rpobably next year when my TT roadster gets traded. Although with the 15 thousand in repairs that it cost to fix the car, I guess there is no worry about a lower resale value, becasue it is already worth crap!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Damn, 15k in repairs? What happened to your TT, bro?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

About storage space... I hauled four 17-inch wheels and four 245/40R17 tires to the shop to be mounted, and I was able to fit them all in the car just fine -- OK, I had to use the trunk, rear seat, and the passenger seat, but they did fit.

The rear seat doesn't fold down, so you are somewhat limited on the length of items you can fit inside the car.

I drive daily in stop-and-go traffic and have had no clutch problems. You do need to be careful and pay attention to your shifting technique. Rev match on all shifts!

For your mods, do your research before buying, especially for any intake upgrade. It seems the stock airbox is pretty good, and you might not see much gain with a new intake. Consider adding an ECU upgrade to your list, or at least an AFC. With a turbo-back exhaust and a full engine management upgrade (allowing for adjusting of air-fuel ratio and boost levels) you can safely add perhaps 50 HP.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:47 AM

Question

Rev match?

Meaning that I need to say..... shift always @ 4500 RPM in all gears?

I mean, I'll be using the sink or swim mentality of learning the stick and for me, it'll probably just end up more fun for me anyways since you're in more control of the car.

My friend whose EVO I enjoy so much has a intake on his and you can hear the BOV very nicely on it between shifting gears. That's kinda what I want to do at first, and not deal with the more expensive mods (exhaust, turbos chips etc) till later on when I'm more comfortable with: a) the shifting and b) the power that I have.

Drums wise I think I could fit everything in. The only thing I'd probably do is test my friends car out if I could fit everything in there, and then make sure it was secure. I dont' fold my back seat of the Audi down (since you can't) so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Thanks for the awesome input guys!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:03 AM

ex audi also switching

i have owned nothing but audis for years, everyone is laughing at me for buying a but it will be there demise when i show up with it.

mine is getting shipped from GA, i got mine below MSRP, saved probably 8k+ from buying it over there, no one would even match the price over here,

but its being shipped as you read this.... cant wait.

i'm in the same boat, but i sold my audi, and now.... we'll see what happens. from what i've posted and understand, its no german car period hands down. but when you read what i read in auto week, it just gives me more confidence.

it said that the 60mph to stop, and the cone slalom course times were the best ever recorded! now that is impressive, it is beating cars 3 times its price, or more.

GET IT!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RonEVO
Rev match?

Meaning that I need to say..... shift always @ 4500 RPM in all gears?

I mean, I'll be using the sink or swim mentality of learning the stick and for me, it'll probably just end up more fun for me anyways since you're in more control of the car.
I'm sure you can find 100's of threads on the internet and quite a few here about rev matching, but to put it simply:

Beginning stick shift driver: releases throttle, presses clutch in. Move gear selector to new gear. Releases clutch quickly, and the car jerks due to the engine speed not matching the transmission speed. Once clutch is fully released, back on the throttle.

Better stick shift driver: releases throttle, presses clutch in. Move gear selector to new gear. Releases clutch slowly, to avoid jerking the car -- the difference in engine speed and transmission speed is absorbed by the clutch (the extra energy is converted into heating the clutch disc & flywheel). Once clutch is fully released, back on the throttle.

Best (Rev-matching) stick shift driver: backs off on throttle just enough to "unload" the transmission, presses clutch in. While moving the gear selector to the new gear, use the throttle to match the engine speed to the desired engine speed in the new gear. Release the clutch smoothly and quickly; since the engine speed and transmission speed are already matched, the car doesn't jerk and no extra energy needs to be dissipated.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good choice, man.

Evo is one of the best car. You won't be dissappointed.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:43 AM

I HAD AN S4 over 20k In Mods Stcik Evo Drove a million times better !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 02:46 PM

Talking

Thanks for all the info guys. Hopefully I'll be contacting my local dealers to get my Tarmac Black Evo.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

I to am a Audi convert, they cost to much to make them go fast. I had a stg 2 00 laser red s4 with a BUNCH of other stuff done. The stock evo blows the s4 away in every aspect EXCEPT luxury.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by ducaticorse
I to am a Audi convert, they cost to much to make them go fast. I had a stg 2 00 laser red s4 with a BUNCH of other stuff done. The stock evo blows the s4 away in every aspect EXCEPT luxury.
Yeah, see, that's the thing I'm starting to not care about anyways. I wanted to put Recaro's in my S4 anways. The "luxury" stuff... BAH! I want TORQUE AND SPEED! Not to mention the S4/A4 line weighs so freaking much.