Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is there such a thing as certified EVO technicians?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there such a thing as certified EVO technicians?

I am getting near to the first service for my EVO. I visited my dealer and asked the service writer whether they had any certified EVO techs. I asked her to check with the service manager and call me. So far no call. I don't think they do.

Maybe I'm off base. Does anybody know whether Mitsubishi actually has a specific training program about the EVO for service technicians? Is this supposed to be a requirement of the dealer to be eligible to sell EVOs?

Obviously I could do the first service myself but I wanted to let the dealer do the initial service so they would know it was done right. Later on if a warranty issue came up they would at least know the minimum maintenance was accomplished.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

If they sell the evo and are allowed to service the evo they are supposed to have EVo Techs that are capable of doing the work....

IE they should have sent them to EVO training...

Does this mean they know Squat about the EVO?

not necessarily... Ive been to 2 dealers here in sfla that dont know anything about the evo and they shouldnt be servicing any cars let a lone evos
Old Sep 28, 2003, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

SUPPOSEDLY each Mitsu dealership that is selling EVO's has had at least one tech sent to the training course. There is definately a training course and certified EVO tech's do exist, whether or not each dealership has one is going to be more of a toss up. I say, unless it's something way over your head, just do the work yourself. As much as you read in this forum or any other, you will never learn as much about your car as you will be actually working on it yourself. Plus, I think it's fun. Good way to pass the time.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 07:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The workings of the Evo are VERY similar to the GSX's of the day. Yes, techs need to be sent to an Evo class, besides being Master Certified already.

Anyone who has these credentials is more than capable of working on an Evo properly.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Funny this should come up. I was told that my dealership's "evo tech" was off at training a couple of weeks ago. Come to find out he's like the worst tech of the dealership AND he wasn't doing anything evo related (I have sources ). I am sure they exist but I don't have access to one unfortunately.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

My certified "EVO Tech", sent my evo back to me after installing the new clutch line with the pedal engaging 1 inch from the floor.

Said it was fine and bleed correctly, its just the way the clutch will engage now!!!!!!

Took it back the next day, had another monkrey bleed it and shot out fluid all over.......Dont believe anything anyone in a dealership tells you,,, they pretty much dont give a crap.

LOLOLOL.......good luck finding a "Evo Tech" LOLOLOLOL
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

The requirement for my dealerships to get their three Evos was to have two techs certified by Mitsu. I do not believe that since these two guys went to the service training that either of them has put a wrench to an Evo. Last month when I had my oil changed at 4500 the one Evo in town not sold by them had a blown clutch that they refused to repair under warranty, the second Evo they sold had not been in yet and their third Evo (sun roof and asking 5 over msr) was still on the lot. As far as I know the most any dear has sold is six. Since these cars have only been out for a few months I can not believe that there are any real Evo Mech.s at the dealers. Besides that, every time I go in there is a new mechanic or a new service writer. As soon as I am convinced my car has no defects I am going to start doing my own thing with it. If a mechanic is any good they seem to go out on their own or to a private garage.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

certified EVO tech is what they'll tell EVO owners...

but they're just regular Mitsu Tech's with EVO knowledge, not like they're specifically taught about the evo, they may go to a training course, but you still get Mitsu quaility service...

unfortunately that's the bottom line