Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Gauges question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauges question

I have a IX MR that came with factory gauge pod (boost, oil temp, volts).
I swapped the boost gauge with an autometer gauge as you can see below in the first image and want to swap the other gauges out too.
I just bought an AEM wideband that I will be installing in a few days, and need to get one more gauge. I'm also thinking about getting the Gruppe-S gauge panel in image # 2.
What should be my third gauge? I was thinking Oil Temp, because there is already one that came factory. If I just swap the gauge with a new autometer one will it work, or do I have wire it separely with a new sensor?
I don't want another volt gauge. What about EGT gauge?
Thanks your input is appreciated.

Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If I get another gauge I'd buy an oil pressure gauge. If you do buy an oil temp gauge im pretty sure you'll have to rewire it and fine a new spot for the probe or whatever you wanna call it because the oil drain plug isn't a good spot for oil temp imo.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

oil pressure.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't think oil pressure needs to be monitored? does it vary at all? or is it just like the volt gauge- always showing the same reading. I think the ECU monitors oil pressure and if there is a problem it will show a warning.
Also forgot to mention that I just use my car for daily driving, with little or no track time.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 05:14 PM

What size was the stock gauges? I have a rs with them and i really hate the stock boost gauge/volt combo. Oil temp never really leaves the first 1/8th of the gauge lol
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

I think the stock size is 39mm. After a while they look so small and boring, especially because they don't move much (except boost gauge).
The ones I'm putting in are 52mm and light up blue.
Does the EGT gauge have the probe mounted in the exhaust manifold? Is it necessary to remove the manifold to drill into it? If not what about the metal shavings fallen inside. Can that damage the turbo?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo1001
exhaust manifold? Is it necessary to remove the manifold to drill into it? If not what about the metal shavings fallen inside. Can that damage the turbo?
it can be done without removing it

if the shaving get in your turbo bye bye turbo

www.evomoto.com covers how this is done
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone have the autometer D-PIC gauge?

D-PIC
1/4 mile, reaction, & 0-60 times, 60-0 distance, WHP, real time G Forces

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...earch&gid=3284

I need a third gauge in my gauge panel and I wonder if it's worth it?
Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:19 AM

I would say fuel pressure or oil pressure. I'm in the same boat trying to decide which one would be more important.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got egt, oil press & temp, boost, wideband. the only thing stays is temp. others move everytime i press the accel or depress. if u want to put oil press or temp, u gonna need spacer for put probes. and u cant rewrite on stock oil temp wires. i would recommend get a oil press. or egt. those are fun to watch while u driving
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo1001
I didn't think oil pressure needs to be monitored? does it vary at all? or is it just like the volt gauge- always showing the same reading. I think the ECU monitors oil pressure and if there is a problem it will show a warning.
Also forgot to mention that I just use my car for daily driving, with little or no track time.
There are some pretty big swings in oil pressure. Low 20s at idle, up to 80s or more depending on your setup (mine's on the filter housing).
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you're going to measure oil temp. you'll have to put another sensor near your oil filter block. There are some unused plugs you can take out and put the sensor in, then feed the wire back up to your gauge.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

oil pressure is very important, if your oil pressure drops, bye bye motor.

happened in my cobra and ill never drive a porformance car without an oil pressure guage again.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
D-PIC
1/4 mile, reaction, & 0-60 times, 60-0 distance, WHP, real time G Forces

that guage sounds pretty cool if it works like it says it does. Anybody have this guage yet if not i might get it to check it out if it very effective. Would be nice to pratice before going to the local drag and putting down sorry times if your not ready.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really should have an Oil Temperature and Oil Pressure gauge. There is no reason to have an in cabin fuel pressure gauge, in fact unless you are running a crazy hp car, there really is no reason to have a FP gauge at all. Oil pressure is critical, because you can identify a problem before it becomes catastrophic. Oil temperature is also critical because as oil goes above 230 F it really starts to degrade in performance. EGT is nice, but really should be linked / integrated to your wideband and trigger an alarm / boost kill if the temperature gets too hot (as can be done with Zeitronix). IMHO, ideally all of the parameters listed could be integrated to the wb or ECU and triggers set for each as it is very hard to monitor gauges while you are driving aggressively....

I am using the VDO gauges (a nice kit found at www.42draftdesigns.com ). There is a great write-up in the How To section and the instructions that come from 42draft are spot on (actual Evo install instructions vs. generic) -- it really is easy.

You cannot get a different oil temp gauge and use the factory sender -- the gauge and the sender are designed / calibrated as a unit.

Quick Reply: Gauges question