Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ok, I'll take one, Apex Silver please........ kinda long, I'm excited....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'll take one, Apex Silver please........ kinda long, I'm excited....

At 30 I decided to go back to school..... and buy a late model performance automobile. Been a car guy all my life, all cars from the Stanley Steamer to the Nissan Skyline GTR to the 66 Corvette Sting Ray to the Ferrari Enzo. I learned to drive on a 26 Model T, the first car I owned was a 54 Chevy Bel Air, and my favorite car to date was my 66 Porsche 912. (they're STOOPID cheap, got mine in daily driver presentable condition for $2,500 and **** your pants fun to buzz around in, and if the ladies dont check you out hard, get a haircut and shave, they will.) My decision to get the Evo has been pretty easy to come to. For the record the pre owned cars considered: Late 3KGT VR4TT, Corvette Z06, 993 Carrera C4, NSX, and sentimental mention 70's vintage Ferrari 308. New cars considered were WRX STI, 350Z, SVT Focus, and the Lancer Evo. I did entertain the thought of either a Evo 7 from EvoImports, or an R32 GTR from Motorex. I wanted to make my decision to be made on three levels, Passion, Performance, and Price. Admittedly a few were more favored than the rest, The Z06 because I'm a Corvette nut and it's a sick car., the R32 becuase those cars are too cool, and the rally sedans. Plugging in the numbers was easy, test results set against the dollar was no contest. The Vette was the first to leave (thanks for playing), the R32 almost won on a serious passion play (we have the home game for you), but the STi and the Evo just nailed it. Well, the Sti comes close. A few dollars more and almost universally placing second in the comparos to the Evo pushed the Roo into the background leaving our hero. I went to the local house of and checked out the goods. Apex Silver and the Red on the lot. I had been leaning toward the Silver and the Blue anyway, so it was nice to see the silver car. Photos dont do this car justice at all. It's much more distinct in lines and muscular in person. Of course no test drive for me untill I'm one signature away from purchase. Ive read alot of good stuff here on the forum, I'll keep the HKS clutch part number in my wallet, get a quote for some clearcoat, and order me up some JDM tails. (when i read that there was an alternative to the Fauxtezzas i sighed in relief, rice factor drops 10 points) I have to wait untill Mid November when the deal on my house closes to make my purchase, and I'm anxious about what will be left for me to buy. I want this car brand new, and from the looks of the 04 Lancers, I want the 8 not the 8.5 (they cant call it that, REALLY.) I've been reading dealers shouting they're recieving final allocations now, and getting that sinking feeling. Waiting Sucks. Well, thanks for reading, if you got this far, you're a trooper.

Keep looking up, my ride should be here by now.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, You can always come down here in MA. The Mits dealer here will let you test drive.
Since you buying a car, you need to know the performance on the car. Don't sign your name until you get a test drive.
Anyway, hope you get your car soon.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Dont pay more than 500 over invoice either. I dont know how much allocation maine has received, but if your willing to call and check out the dealerships in MA,CT,NY,NJ, your more than likely will find the exact color and options you want at a great price.

Most dealerships around my area (CT) have 3-4 EVO's (minimum) sitting on their lots and they want to get rid of them.

On a side note, Apex silver is a great color. Even after 2 weeks of no washing, the car still looks great from a distance. Plus it does a great job blemishing all the little nicks and scratches.
The wheels turn dark quick though!
Old Sep 25, 2003, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attached Thumbnails Ok, I'll take one, Apex Silver please........ kinda long, I'm excited....-evo.jpg  
Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:44 AM

I will definetly be looking around New England and NY/NJ/PA when the time comes. I'm pretty sure I'll just be buying the car outright (cant see paying a bank for the honor of borrowing money i already have), so with cash in hand i should have a little leverage in the haggle. I'm just hoping i can get it broken in at 1000mi before snow flies. So unless my local stealer has the color i want and wants to play at MSRP, I may be putting a shout out in mid november for y'all to peek at your dealer lots to see if theres anything Blue By You, or Apex hanging around. Thanks for the responses.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

While I LOVE my Evo, I've gotta think that if I could afford the GTR, I most likely would have gone that way.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 04:05 PM

Liandrin1, I hear you on the GTR, I could grab one, but this car will have to serve as somewhat of a daily driver, something I would have reservations about with the Skyline. Once i decided to buy something, the GTR was the first car I looked into. Years of reading Automobile, or Car&Driver gush about the Skyline created an infatuation in me, and then when the Gran Turismo games came out it became an obsession. It tops my list of "Must own" but I can wait for my GTR untill after I've gotten my education and made my entry into my trade. Better to spend less now, be somewhat practical, still have a world class performance car, and splurge later on the GTR, which will be my weekend canyon missile.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 08:57 AM

Arrow

I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm planning on moving back to SE MI within the next few months (hopefully before winter hits) and I'm planning on either getting a WRX wagon, WRX STi or EVO with the $$$ that I get from selling my house. No banks, no debt, just driving pleasure.

I've already begun talking to local dealers and they're all stubborn on test drives and MSRP.

I'm sure when I flash $30 big in front of them they'll probably say "here are the keys..." and let me take a test drive in either the STi or the EVO (They'd care less if I asked to take out a WRX wagon... )

Good luck getting the EVO before Xmas.