Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car keeps stalling when coming to a stop..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'd go with vaccum leak as well or iac, carefully spray some thottle cleaner around hoses and lines and see if the idle changes, if it does you'll know you have a leak around that area. Just dont go crazy spraying
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by partyboy1122
Cams? Size injectors? Scaled correctly? Last time you logged your car?
Cams: Kelford 272/272 Cams
Injectors: PTE 880cc

Last logged 2/14/09 by JestR
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

So you don't tune/view your cars behavior on your own?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
What does your car idle at? Have you check your idle air controller? Try turning the idle up and see what that does and go from there.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You say "supporting mods" does this include a hard intake pipe? If so, swap in the stock rubber pipe and see if the problem goes away.

I had the exact same issue after my cam install...the car would die every time I rolled to a stop. I had no boost or vacuum leaks at all. I noticed that if I roll to a stop and sit long enough the car will stumble a lot but eveuntually stabilize and idle. When I looked at my logs it turns out the LTFT Mid was adjusting at idle to correct the rich condition that occurs with hard pipes and cams at idle.

This should not be the case. The car should idle and the LTFT Low should be the one adjusting. So...I logged the idle MAF Hz and discovered that it was idleing at 50+ Hz. This is was too high to allow the LTFT Low to adjust. I set out to test an idea....I removed my HKS suction pipe and put in the stock rubber one. The cone filter was left in on both cases. Immediatly the car started to idle and the STFT Low adjusted accordingly.

Thus my discovery is that my HKS suction was causing the MAF Hz to be too high at idle. I then put a 3" rubber coupler on the exit side of the MAF and inserted it into the HKS pipe as it normally would, and installed it in the car. Voial, MAF Hz below 40 and LTFT is now adjusting as it should.

I did have to to a tad bit of MAF scaling to get my LTFTs to where I like them.

Sorry for the long post.....I had to explain.

Paul
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check you MAS and make sure the honeycomb is still there
Old Apr 2, 2009, 05:35 AM

Yea def. the MAF issue. Glad you figured it out
Old Apr 2, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1d10t
Maybe your idle air control valve is faulty
+1 If you haven't try adjusting the BISS screw yet, maybe you can do so. I had the same type of issue like yours and it fixed my problem after I open up a little bit of air into the throttle and car ran fine.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have cams? Have you disconnected your battery at all?

One time I had my battery disconnected and I didn't let it "idle learn" long enough. I only let it idle for 5 minutes. It stalled and wouldn't idle anytime I put the clutch in a slow speeds. Turns out it was simple that the ECU didn't re-learn correctly. My cams didn't help the issue. I took my car back home disconnect the negative cable again, reconnected it and let the car sit and idle for about 15-20 minutes, or until I heard the cams start to lope after the initial high idle. Car ran great since then....
Old Apr 2, 2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Do you have cams? Have you disconnected your battery at all?

One time I had my battery disconnected and I didn't let it "idle learn" long enough. I only let it idle for 5 minutes. It stalled and wouldn't idle anytime I put the clutch in a slow speeds. Turns out it was simple that the ECU didn't re-learn correctly. My cams didn't help the issue. I took my car back home disconnect the negative cable again, reconnected it and let the car sit and idle for about 15-20 minutes, or until I heard the cams start to lope after the initial high idle. Car ran great since then....

I have never heard of this before.

I was running a Forge BOV/DV and changed to an MR DV and now my car almost stalls. It's runnning like crap with just a BOV change. I'm in the process of getting a re-tune shortly cause I don't know whats wrong with my car.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

I went from stock plastic BOV to APS to stock again and back to APS all in the past week and didn't have any issues.

I've had the same "ECU relearn" issues in my Mirage too. The first 50 miles or so the car has to relearn everything. It runs goofy for 50 miles and then starts to run fine. It's happened everytime I disconnect the battery. It happens to every car, though stock cars you won't see much of an issue because they're, well...stock

If you disconnect a factory cars battery, it will not pass emissions because none of the readiness monitors are set. The car has to be driven 50-100 miles to "relearn". But in stock cars there aren't any driveablity issues.

I doubt this is the OP's issue, but if he disconnected the battery right before this started to happen, it's worth a shot to disconnect and reconnected it again and let it idle for 15-20 minutes.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i've d/c'd the battery and let it relearn, but no luck lol...
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Appauldd
You say "supporting mods" does this include a hard intake pipe? If so, swap in the stock rubber pipe and see if the problem goes away.

I had the exact same issue after my cam install...the car would die every time I rolled to a stop. I had no boost or vacuum leaks at all. I noticed that if I roll to a stop and sit long enough the car will stumble a lot but eveuntually stabilize and idle. When I looked at my logs it turns out the LTFT Mid was adjusting at idle to correct the rich condition that occurs with hard pipes and cams at idle.

This should not be the case. The car should idle and the LTFT Low should be the one adjusting. So...I logged the idle MAF Hz and discovered that it was idleing at 50+ Hz. This is was too high to allow the LTFT Low to adjust. I set out to test an idea....I removed my HKS suction pipe and put in the stock rubber one. The cone filter was left in on both cases. Immediatly the car started to idle and the STFT Low adjusted accordingly.

Thus my discovery is that my HKS suction was causing the MAF Hz to be too high at idle. I then put a 3" rubber coupler on the exit side of the MAF and inserted it into the HKS pipe as it normally would, and installed it in the car. Voial, MAF Hz below 40 and LTFT is now adjusting as it should.

I did have to to a tad bit of MAF scaling to get my LTFTs to where I like them.

Sorry for the long post.....I had to explain.

Paul

Thanks for the tip!

However Since im running a larger turbo, I can't put the stock rubber pipe back on, i have no choice but to stick w/the AMS hard intake pipe.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Stall

I would try the relearn again. This time unplug your ecu then plug it back in. Start the car without stepping o the throttle. Let it idle on it's own with all accesories off. Leave the car alone for at least ten minutes. I didn't believe this at first but it did wonders for the car.
At least do that since it's easy. Then you can move on to other things if it doesn't help.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by awddyno
I would try the relearn again. This time unplug your ecu then plug it back in. Start the car without stepping o the throttle. Let it idle on it's own with all accesories off. Leave the car alone for at least ten minutes. I didn't believe this at first but it did wonders for the car.
At least do that since it's easy. Then you can move on to other things if it doesn't help.
I think I'm going to try this tomorrow. Thanks

Quick Reply: Car keeps stalling when coming to a stop..