Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rain Damage :(

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2009, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain Damage :(

Simple. It has been raining the whole week. A few of the evo guys met at my place and we all were heading for dinner. On our way, there is a turn that I love taking my car to its limit... ACD set to GRAVEL, i turned and stepped on it and went sliding for a while and when i see behind me, my friend in his 8 pulls the same move but kept sliding and hit the curb...

I went running to see what happened to him... wanna guess people? He was still set on TARMAC.

Damage pics below. This is the rear right rim that the curb ate. We put the spare on and you can see, its not straight at all. Its bent towards the bottom and the car could not move at all.. the tire wasnt spinning... so we left the car there for now.. Lemme know what parts will I have to get in order to get this fixed! (apart from the Wheel itself...

Last edited by evo_q8; Apr 12, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 03:39 AM

No offence but i hate when people blame the acd mode what about all the non acd evos that are sliding around in the rain not hitting things. it is called driving skill and knowing what you are doing. however i am sorry to see that any one has damaged there evo. and by the way only time i put my evo in to any mode other than tarmac is if it is raining and i am at the track and even then it does not net me that much of a gain.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 03:45 AM

yeah. I'll hit snow mode in the snow, buts thats about it.

looks like you need to get it somewhere to pull it apart and inspect everything. Hard to tell from the pics exactly what is f-ed up. good luck
Old Apr 4, 2009, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

not completely blaming the ACD mode at all.. its just that the guy knows how to drive but the way the car spun, it just didnt make sense...

Last edited by evo_q8; Apr 4, 2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 4, 2009, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

I'm really sorry to hear that, I really hope he fixes his car real soon. The ACD mode is irrelevant to what happened, it was overkill!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you mentioned ACD so much, could you explain a bit more about how he spun and what makes you thing the setting affected it?

Hitting a curb with the back wheel is just because you panic mid slide and hit the gas to try to get away from the curb while you make the tires spin even more and increase the slide factor. But that's just my guess from experience of drifting in long turns and roundabouts a lot. ACD setting usually just affected how fast the car oversteers for me. (EDM 8 with AYC and USDM 9 without AYC experience, both ACD)
Old Apr 4, 2009, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kornkuu
No offence but i hate when people blame the acd mode what about all the non acd evos that are sliding around in the rain not hitting things. it is called driving skill and knowing what you are doing. however i am sorry to see that any one has damaged there evo. and by the way only time i put my evo in to any mode other than tarmac is if it is raining and i am at the track and even then it does not net me that much of a gain.
+1

Don't blame the ACD for bad driving... most people don't know the limits of their Evo. It takes a lot of skill to control even a stock Evo in the rain, let alone a modified one.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

guys.. the point is, i need to know what do u think is now required to fix it! :P

About the crash, he turned in on high speed.. thats where the mistake was.. n exactly like Toxin said, he hit the gas to avoid the curb and leading it to spin more.. but what I say about the ACD is that havin it on Gravel would have definately helped.. thats all..
Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to take more pics! BIGGER ones too!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The title of this thread should be "How Not to Drive" or "Reasons to Take Advanced Driving School" or just "Acting Stupid Has Bad Outcome"... Sorry but this had nothing to do with ACD setting...

So it looks like your camber is way positive and you'll need to inspect your control arms. My guess is the rear ball joint snapped (look at the upper arm). Can you take some more detailed pictures from the rear / inside ?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to say that next time I spin out and hit a curb. Oops, forgot to set it on gravel, not my fault.

That had NOTHING to do with ACD. That's just not good driving. If you think the ACD is supposed to save you in a slide, good luck with that.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

I would start pulling things apart. You will be able to see what the problem is. But yeah, If my car had ACD I would never lose a slide again. That would be a dream. Heh. Agreed, Tarmac setting did not cause this.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
Hitting a curb with the back wheel is just because you panic mid slide and hit the gas to try to get away from the curb while you make the tires spin even more and increase the slide factor.
This or he panicked mid-slide and lifted, unsettling the car and making it jerk towards the curb. Lifting is a natural instinct in that situation that you should never do in an Evo. it unsettles the car too much. I know this and I still catch myself doing it out of reflex.

This is why you really shouldn't be trying stuff like that in places where you don't have room for error, like near curbs.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:42 AM

Dam that sux good luck getting it fixd
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

okies.. im gonna ask him to get some more bigger pics soon... lets see

Quick Reply: Rain Damage :(