Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My EVO on a Budget Truck Rental "Car Dolly"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My EVO on a Budget Truck Rental "Car Dolly"

I'm moving from NJ back home to FL at the end of May!!! My question is...do you think I can get my EVO on a car dolly?

The car is on Swift springs and about 1.5 inches lower.

I can't get the car to drive up on a set of Rino ramps to even change the oil so I'm a bit worried!

If you know...please chime in.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:57 AM
JKD
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mchristian
I'm moving from NJ back home to FL at the end of May!!! My question is...do you think I can get my EVO on a car dolly?

I can't get the car to drive up on a set of Rino ramps to even change the oil so I'm a bit worried!

AWD vehicles must not be towed in that manner. Rent a full trailer to keep all 4 wheels off the ground. Failure to do so can result in damage to the transfer case and other driveline componants. Hope this helps - good luck.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just like JKD said it must be a full trailer.

im lowered with Swift springs and MR Bilsteins.... i have a Do-Luck lip, in order to drive up the ramp of the trailer i had to remove my bumper.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Clifton New Jersey Lived: Daytona Beach, Florida Lived: Port Orange, Florida

refer to your manual on how to tow your car, what was stated is what u should do
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can use the car dolly, but you will have to disconnect your rear axles before you tow it, or drivetrain damage will result. Good luck.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:36 AM

I picked up my 06 mr se and used a 4 wheel trailer from Uhaul and we had to use pieces of wood to get the angle right so the front end wouldn't scrape, and I am at stock ride height. I think you'd be better off removing the bumper or you're going to have to stack varying heights of boards. Also, the front edge of the trailer is raised so it may touch there also, once the car is completely on. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JKD
AWD vehicles must not be towed in that manner. Rent a full trailer to keep all 4 wheels off the ground. Failure to do so can result in damage to the transfer case and other driveline componants. Hope this helps - good luck.
Not can - will result in damage. 4 up trailer only.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific...I'm using the flat bed tow. I'm still not sure if I can get the car to drive up on the flat bed hauler? Anyone know?

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Viciouslord
just like JKD said it must be a full trailer. im lowered with Swift springs and MR Bilsteins.... i have a Do-Luck lip, in order to drive up the ramp of the trailer i had to remove my bumper.
Originally Posted by 91gst
I picked up my 06 mr se and used a 4 wheel trailer from Uhaul and we had to use pieces of wood to get the angle right so the front end wouldn't scrape, and I am at stock ride height. I think you'd be better off removing the bumper or you're going to have to stack varying heights of boards. Also, the front edge of the trailer is raised so it may touch there also, once the car is completely on. Hope this helps.
Sounds like from the experience of Viciouslord & 91gst I'll need to be prepaired to remove the front bumper and have some boards handy.

Thanks guys
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just get a friend to watch your front end, chances are it won't make it. If I were you I wouldn't even try with your front bumper on, and still have someone to spot you so you don't scrape.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like from the experience of Viciouslord & 91gst I'll need to be prepaired to remove the front bumper and have some boards handy.

Thanks guys
its easy to remove the bumper. 6 clips and 4 bolts and you're done. 10 min. tops!

Last edited by Viciouslord; Apr 5, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Front bumper is very easy to take off.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Viciouslord
its easy to remove the bumper. 6 clips and 4 bolts and you're done. 10 min. tops!
it really is pretty simple. is it really only six clips?? last i did it i took off like 15 clips and i think 6 bolts. 2 bolts in wheel well, 2 near IC and 2 by the top of the radiator. was i doing extra work by taking all those clips off, are there really only 6 that NEED to come off?
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
it really is pretty simple. is it really only six clips?? last i did it i took off like 15 clips and i think 6 bolts. 2 bolts in wheel well, 2 near IC and 2 by the top of the radiator. was i doing extra work by taking all those clips off, are there really only 6 that NEED to come off?
i dont have an undertray.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 01:37 AM

full trailer

Quick Reply: My EVO on a Budget Truck Rental "Car Dolly"