Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

item got stolen, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
item got stolen, what to do?

I bought a shift knob from somebody on this forum about a week ago and it came in the mail today by usps in an envelope. I opened my mailbox and find an envelope that was ripped and there was nothing inside. Im pretty sure my mailman would not steal it since he's an asian male in his 40s. What am I suppose to do in a situation like this since this has never happened to me. Is there anyway I can get a refund or my shift knob back?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it wasn't insured i think your out of luck.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

I would agree, any suspecting neighbors? opening someone else is mail is a fed offense isn't it?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

i live in an apt building where you need to have a key to open your own mailbox.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

It could have "popped out" of the mail package during shipment and ended up somewhere in the bottom of a freight car or mail bag. I've had that happen before. The envelope basically got caught on something and ripped open in transit.

Maybe you could file a report with the USPS and see if they can find it. Kind of like a lost and found thing. It has to be floating around somwhere.. right?

I don't suspect theft. Afterall, who steals an item from the mail but leaves the envelope? Really?

But in anycase, if it was shipped un-insured, you're pretty much out of luck.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you request insurance on the item before paying for it.
If not your SOL.
You could try and file a claim with usps but i wouldn't count on it.
If it was in a plain mailing envelope and not taped up well, it could of easily gotten ripped in the shipping and fell out.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

See the thing is the envelope is ripped on the side. It seems to be sealed extremely well so somebody must of ripped the side off but why would the mailman or usps still put a ripped empty envelope into my mailbox?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deegaw11
See the thing is the envelope is ripped on the side. It seems to be sealed extremely well so somebody must of ripped the side off but why would the mailman or usps still put a ripped empty envelope into my mailbox?
Go down to the Post Office tomorrow and tell them what happened.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deegaw11
cause its their job. they dont know whats in the envelopes when they put it in the mailbox, he probably just thought it was a letter. its not like he can just throw the envelope out or not deliever it. that would be tampering with the mail, which is a federal offense
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

nvm ...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The post office provides $100 of insurance on any domestic envelope, or package shipped. Contact the seller and have them initiate a claim with the post office.

Josh
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

hrm....very odd, why would sombody take thier time to rip it open and not take the whole mail?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
The post office provides $100 of insurance on any domestic envelope, or package shipped. Contact the seller and have them initiate a claim with the post office.

Josh
That is not true. I work for the USPS and there is no automatic insurance on any package other then Express mail service.
to the OP was the envelope stamped with any endorsement like "arrived without contents" or "damaged in shipping"? Usually when a carrier notices a package that is damaged or open or obviously missing the contents they make sure that a clerk stamps it up with an endoresment.
this is my biggest pet peeve when people ship things, why can't they atleast make sure that the item is properly packaged. I have seen so many poorly packaged items over the years it just makes me laugh that some people just don't care when they ship something.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by accident
That is not true. I work for the USPS and there is no automatic insurance on any package other then Express mail service.
to the OP was the envelope stamped with any endorsement like "arrived without contents" or "damaged in shipping"? Usually when a carrier notices a package that is damaged or open or obviously missing the contents they make sure that a clerk stamps it up with an endoresment.
this is my biggest pet peeve when people ship things, why can't they atleast make sure that the item is properly packaged. I have seen so many poorly packaged items over the years it just makes me laugh that some people just don't care when they ship something.
My apologies, the local Going Postal store I ship everything through provides the first $100 of insurance for me, not the post office. Even if I ship with through them using USPS services they provide this for me. To the OP I would still contact the shipper/seller and see if they are willing to work with you on a refund.

Josh
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alianum777
I would agree, any suspecting neighbors? opening someone else is mail is a fed offense isn't it?
Yes, it is. I heard a man was executed for it once. Serves him right

Quick Reply: item got stolen, what to do?