Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont hate it in any way
Old May 6, 2009, 08:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by guapoholic
No I really love it but... Have any of you ever woke up and said to yourself.. man I'd rather be driving my moms Geo instead of my Evo today"?
Never

Originally Posted by guapoholic
I have lately... All of our Evos has been plagued by an unforeseen mechanical/electrical problem at some point. Some of them are cheap and easy to repair, some are expensive and unexpected, etc etc. Some of us can afford to get them fixed right away.. and some of us are under warranty... I'm neither.

Right now I need a clutch and I'd rather (insert sarcasm here) stand outside in the bone chilling below zero weather of Boston for the bus than drive my Evo. I'm a bit tight on cash at the moment so I've been putting it aside for a couple of weeks now and will be doing so for at least a couple more. Just thought it would be nice to hear someone of you guys pain so it could ease mine a bit
Sounds like a personal problem, and not a blown clutch... the only reason any problem is unforseen is generally because you didn't properly prepare or understand something you were doing. Don't include me in your blanket statement please
Old May 6, 2009, 09:12 PM

i feel you bro, i just got my car about 2 months ago and love it but just sucks all the money i put into it.. I did the frount mount/ all piping, fuel pump, injectors, manuel boost controler, intake, and exhaust. Then after about maybe 6 races i found out i need a new clutch. So i just had to dropp another 500 on a ACT clutch, which i got a really good deal on it, and now i gotta get another 450 for the install... Can anyone say HUGE money pit...But im sure once your all good to go youll be happy with her again..Good luck on ur clutch
Old May 7, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kilgoja
any normal person wouldn't own an evo....unless they are just filthy rich and have the cash to throw around....most evo owners are like me...in their 30's and still single with no kids...basically it's a car for losers that have no responsibilities....lmao...jk....anyways i'm at 40,000 miles with no problems...basically my goal has been to get the car paid off before anything breaks....then you will have the money that you would be making car payments with to use to fix whatever breaks...lol...oh a tip for people worried about maintenance cost...don't modify your evo....that makes things break faster....that is a fact of life.....maybe wait til you pay it off first then begin to modify it

I def DON'T agree with this statement. Its got 4 Doors (family), has a turbo (Get out of the way....LOL) AWD (safety in bad weather).

It just happens you could get 300-600 HP without breaking the bank.

I've been married for 11 years, have 2 kids. I;ve had various civic hatchbacks in various states of modification (ITR motor and after market cams with the lat one), 98 Integra Type R (considered the best year), Neon SRt-4 and soon to be 2006 IX GSR
Old May 7, 2009, 02:02 PM

hahaha id be lieing if i dont agree with your statement. There have been days were its like FML. lol.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I know that the clutch will give up the ghost sooner or later, and have money set aside for it. Tires are whats killing me. I only have love for my EVO.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Old May 7, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by abdizzle
You've never run into someone who's put every penny into his car but he's eating Top Raman for lunch and dinner?
hey man come on....leave the Ramen noodles outta this.....

....and green meanie i said i was just kidding....
Old May 7, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a little trick us longtime DSMers have known forever - your first mod should be a AAA card & your second mod should be a Civic for a daily driver. I'm married with a 1 year old kid, I love driving the EVO once a week or so to work and taking it out on the weekends for fun, but I'd never in a million years daily drive it at this point. Much like a DSM (or any modded car), if you keep the mod level sane, don't cut corners, and stay on top of maintenance, the cars should stay reliable.
Old May 7, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any normal person wouldn't own an evo....unless they are just filthy rich and have the cash to throw around....most evo owners are like me...in their 30's and still single with no kids...basically it's a car for losers that have no responsibilities....lmao...jk....anyways i'm at 40,000 miles with no problems...basically my goal has been to get the car paid off before anything breaks....then you will have the money that you would be making car payments with to use to fix whatever breaks...lol...oh a tip for people worried about maintenance cost...don't modify your evo....that makes things break faster....that is a fact of life.....maybe wait til you pay it off first then begin to modify it
i totally resent this post! I'm in my 30s - married with two kids! My grocery getter, children picker-upper has definitely served me well through sleet rain and shine for the past 4yrs! It is a money pit though and that's just from the maintenance costs! All I have to do is drive my wife's car to make me appreciate how fun my evo will ALWAYS BE!!!
Old May 7, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....and green meanie i said i was just kidding....
I know I'm just trying to justify the purchase in my head. LOL.

For real anyone who hates there car should drive a Corolla or stock Civic for 2 weeks, drive your car again and tell me you hate it.

Anyone who hates there EVo drives it too much. LOL.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:35 AM

i bought mine in november... and to the tune of about 10k its been in the shop more then i can drive it but thats probably my fault i should have done more research and not bought off a friend but i still love it and glad that its finally running good (for now) hopefully nothing else breaks soon because like the OP im broke now
Old May 8, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Bought my 03 evo exactly 6 years ago this month.

Currently have 90K on it and I have been modding since around 3k miles. Minor/Major issues:

1. T-case died around 20k with no launches or racing. Replaced under warranty
2. Blew out drivers side strut - my fault for installing s-tech springs (now have coilovers)
3. T-case died again around 85K again with really no launches. Jimmy from The Shop hooked me up with a used one.
4. Replaced stock clutch/flywheel around 85K with ACT - again thanks Jimmy
5. Recently bad precision injector.

I have changed the oil every 3k religiously with Mobil1 and mitsu filter. I have changed the fluids in driveline every 10k. I have been over 300awhp from the start of modding.

I love driving the car still to this day.

Also, the AAA thing, should be the first mod. I had my car flat beaded twice already this year with no cost out of my pocket.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain. My 03 Evo has been sitting in the driveway for a week now, waiting for a new clutch. I got it pretty much 3 weeks ago and the clutch went out 2 weeks after owning it. Called my dealership and they said they'll try to help me out as much as possible so I'm thankful for that, even though they sold me a lemon that needs serious fixing (sold as is so no lemon law to me). I beated on the car a few times and then started driving regularly. Of course, it being an Evo and all, everyone wants to drive it and being a nice guy, I let them. About 10 ppl or maybe even more drove my car and all of them beat on it to see how hard it pulls. Pretty much, when I first got it all the way to 2 weeks later, it's been beaten on every single day so I was expecting something to go wrong with the Evo. After all, it's not my previous car (Scion tC) or a Honda where you can beat the hell out of it and it'll still run fine.
Old May 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
My 03 Evo has been sitting in the driveway for a week now, waiting for a new clutch. I got it pretty much 3 weeks ago and the clutch went out 2 weeks after owning it. Called my dealership and they said they'll try to help me out as much as possible so I'm thankful for that, even though they sold me a lemon that needs serious fixing (sold as is so no lemon law to me). I beated on the car a few times and then started driving regularly. Of course, it being an Evo and all, everyone wants to drive it and being a nice guy, I let them. About 10 ppl or maybe even more drove my car and all of them beat on it to see how hard it pulls. Pretty much, when I first got it all the way to 2 weeks later, it's been beaten on every single day so I was expecting something to go wrong with the Evo. After all, it's not my previous car (Scion tC) or a Honda where you can beat the hell out of it and it'll still run fine.
is this guy serious? how can you hold the dealer liable for the abuse you put your car through and expect them to pay for blowing out your clutch? hope you get rid of your evo soon...get a honda and "beat on it"

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...