Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
I feel your pain. My 03 Evo has been sitting in the driveway for a week now, waiting for a new clutch. I got it pretty much 3 weeks ago and the clutch went out 2 weeks after owning it. Called my dealership and they said they'll try to help me out as much as possible so I'm thankful for that, even though they sold me a lemon that needs serious fixing (sold as is so no lemon law to me). I beated on the car a few times and then started driving regularly. Of course, it being an Evo and all, everyone wants to drive it and being a nice guy, I let them. About 10 ppl or maybe even more drove my car and all of them beat on it to see how hard it pulls. Pretty much, when I first got it all the way to 2 weeks later, it's been beaten on every single day so I was expecting something to go wrong with the Evo. After all, it's not my previous car (Scion tC) or a Honda where you can beat the hell out of it and it'll still run fine.
=/ pls to think before post
Old May 8, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's owners like that that jack up our insurance premiums...
Old May 9, 2009, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

I feel your pain. My 03 Evo has been sitting in the driveway for a week now, waiting for a new clutch. I got it pretty much 3 weeks ago and the clutch went out 2 weeks after owning it. Called my dealership and they said they'll try to help me out as much as possible so I'm thankful for that, even though they sold me a lemon that needs serious fixing (sold as is so no lemon law to me). I beated on the car a few times and then started driving regularly. Of course, it being an Evo and all, everyone wants to drive it and being a nice guy, I let them. About 10 ppl or maybe even more drove my car and all of them beat on it to see how hard it pulls. Pretty much, when I first got it all the way to 2 weeks later, it's been beaten on every single day so I was expecting something to go wrong with the Evo. After all, it's not my previous car (Scion tC) or a Honda where you can beat the hell out of it and it'll still run fine.
Man f*** what everyone else has to say. Everyone on this forum pretends like they've never made a mistake they regretted and they always make the best decisions in life. I see where you're coming from. I can't front, I had an Integra before I had my Evo and I only had the Integra for about a year before it got stolen. I used to beat on it, race it, launch it... you name it. After I got the Evo I was a bit more graceful when driving it because I respected the fine engineering and didn't know much about the car yet. But I still pushed it when I got a chance. You own the car and I know you're still going crazy over all that power but remember... it's YOUR car and you can drive it when you want so there's no need to drive it like you just stole it 24.7. Man I remember ALL my boys wanted to 'take it around the block' and at first I didn't know how to say no and thought 'well it can't hurt... it's just around the block'. NO ONE drives your car with the same amount of respect as you do. They all launched it, they all floored it up to high rpms and they all beat on it for the 30 secs they were in it.

After a while I started saying no and just stop letting people test drive it because I felt the clutch pedal getting soft and was getting worried . Well it was too late by then, the clutch was going.. and it's not like I could just stop driving the car so it wouldn't get worse, because it was my DD and I had places to be. I started this thread and you can see the date when I started it. My car is JUST now about to be put in the shop this upcoming Mon. because of bills, car payments, and citations I got for driving like an idiot when I first got bought it. The clutch is slipping so bad now that I had to park it and take the BUS to work AND have to pay for a flat-bed to tow it to the shop for me on Monday. Everyone asks me why my car has been parked and I just tell them I'm getting something done to it because I know what they're gonna say if I tell them my clutch is gone and I would deserve everything said to me.

I've had a lot of time to think about my actions since the car's been park and I realize no matter how cool your boys are, none of them are gonna dig deep into their pockets to help you get your car back on the road when something breaks or needs to be replaced so think about that the next time you let someone test drive it. Everyone makes mistakes and learn from them (hopefully). You and I and I'm sure plenty of other young ignorant Evo owners wasn't fortunate enough to have anyone to give me a heads up but best believe I learned my lesson and I'll be damned if I get stuck with another bill this high because of others wrecklessness and my negligence. Be prepared to pay at least $500 for the labor and shop around for a new clutch. I went with the OEM Exedy clutch kit off ebay and got it for $275 including shipping. Good luck.

Last edited by guapoholic; May 9, 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dewood*
=/ pls to think before post
The lemon isn't about the clutch going out. That's what I get and I'm learning my lesson the hard way.

Lemon things are a hole in the radiator (has been plugged with goop by previous owner and now, needs a coolant flush badly as the goop pieces is floating in the radiator), my MAF sensor is faulty, my temp gauge goes beyond the hot line when I turn on the fan (hot and cold) so that's faulty too, O2 sensors are faulty and thus, giving me my check engine light, one of the ignition coil was bad so I was running only 2 cylinders for a few days (drove just fine when I left the lot and a week after I brought it home), and my air/fuel ratio idle is at red 16.0 and up when it's supposed to be 14.7 or so. Drives just fine though other then I hear the rear diff squeeling so I'm going to need a fluid change on that soon. Of course, car has 108k miles on it so I was expecting some faulty things but with this many problems and it coming from the dealer, this is rediculous. This HAS passed 2 dealership inspections and I REALLY want to know how...
Old May 9, 2009, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

I asked my dealership for a list of maintenance/parts done and replaced so i could know what/when to replace things and 'til this day I haven't seen that list. I suggest you try to obtain the same before your warranty expires and they try to jerk you. I love my evo but regret buying it from that dealer. As far as I'm concerned all they did was change the oil and washed it before selling it to me. Now I already need pads and of course the clutch but there's no reason why it should go after 3k miles no matter how bad I beat on it. There's a table of maintenance and when it should be done to the car if you need to know somewhere on the forums.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

It seems everyone complains about the cost of something related to our cars.Don't get into the hobby if you can't afford it.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brooks1005
It seems everyone complains about the cost of something related to our cars.Don't get into the hobby if you can't afford it.
Thanks for the advice. You seem so very knowledgeable or Evos and life as I know it.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

The lemon isn't about the clutch going out. That's what I get and I'm learning my lesson the hard way.

Lemon things are a hole in the radiator (has been plugged with goop by previous owner and now, needs a coolant flush badly as the goop pieces is floating in the radiator), my MAF sensor is faulty, my temp gauge goes beyond the hot line when I turn on the fan (hot and cold) so that's faulty too, O2 sensors are faulty and thus, giving me my check engine light, one of the ignition coil was bad so I was running only 2 cylinders for a few days (drove just fine when I left the lot and a week after I brought it home), and my air/fuel ratio idle is at red 16.0 and up when it's supposed to be 14.7 or so. Drives just fine though other then I hear the rear diff squeeling so I'm going to need a fluid change on that soon. Of course, car has 108k miles on it so I was expecting some faulty things but with this many problems and it coming from the dealer, this is rediculous. This HAS passed 2 dealership inspections and I REALLY want to know how...
Oh sorry dude I thought you were talking about a bad clutch lol. I actually let my dad drive my car since he signed the loan and he didn't even really know how to drive 6 speed. I woulda felt bad saying no so I let him and I think he ended up hitting the gas too hard in 3rd gear from a stop and well I never heard a car sound so bad from stalling lol. You live and learn and I will probably not let anyone else drive my car unless they are good friends and they really helped me out with my car somehow.

A dealer is supposed to make sure the car is running in top shape before he is allowed to sell it. I got my car from a private seller and I had a friend who's a dealer help me pass inspection with no cats, tint, and blue hid lights. There are many ways around it but a dealer is definitely not supposed to sell you a car with problems. Good luck m8.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
90k miles on my evo and daily drive it every day. 400+awhp on a dynojet and the only thing that's failed on me was the clutch.... she's been holding up fine and i get on her every now and then.

few track events and i've dragged it a few times as well. tranny shifts smooth and she's holding up strong.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by brooks1005
I agree completely.
Having said that I hate that the Mitsu dealership wants a $1000 to do the 60k mile service. I got the kit for $450 so I could do it myself.
Old May 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by guapoholic
...I realize no matter how cool your boys are, none of them are gonna dig deep into their pockets to help you get your car back on the road...
Depending on the person. My closest friends will actually pitch in their hard earned money to get my car up and running and they know for a fact that I always pay them back with a little extra at the end even though I don't have to give them extra. When my ignition coil went bad, my cousin helped me out to figure out the problem and even helped me buy a new ignition coil when I had absolutely no money. Of course, it took me 2-3 weeks but I eventually paid him back. Even then, he didn't mind waiting.

My close friend offered to pay for a new clutch but since I was going to get a loan anyways, I rejected his offer. In the long run, his car broke down a day after his offer so it worked out in the end. He spent his money on fixing his Audi instead. Really happy to have friends like these.

Last edited by Piro Fyre; May 9, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 9, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
Here's a little trick us longtime DSMers have known forever - your first mod should be a AAA card & your second mod should be a Civic for a daily driver.
1990 DSM: AAA card was my first mod also. Second mod was a garage to keep the car in so it wouldn't get like stolen or broken into or whatever. Third mod was the 100 mile towing upgrade to the AAA card - and not because I take the car on trips! but - because the nearest places I trust to do anything on the car are pretty far away and they aren't the dealer. Didn't need the Civic kuz I already had a Toyota Corolla and a bunch of other cars.
I will say though, every time I get a new OEM part of any kind from Mitsu, throttle cable, cooling fan, whatever, I'm highly impressed with the quality look and feel of the parts.
Here's something to be kinda proud of: The largest part on any Boeing airplane is the lower wing skin on the 787. This all composite part is 30 meters long. It is built by Mitsubishi. In fact, Mitsu builds the entire 787 wing box and ships it to Boeing here in Washington.

Gary
Old May 9, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

i hate it at winter time when i can't take it out in snow cause i have summer tires on
Old May 9, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

the evo is the closest to a MKIV supra i'll ever get....I am a true believer the 4g63 motor in my evo 9 is like the 4cyl version of the 2jzgte...and I Love My Evo !!!!

Every morning I look at her and say, Ddyum u look sexy early in the morning !!!
Old May 10, 2009, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

i love my evo, compaired to some other cars ive had in the past the price on repaires isnt that bad... i blew my motor on my truck and the repaire was $12K. i completely agree with the OPas far as letting other people "whip" the car around the block... they wount pay for $hit if they break anything.

here is my beater...
Attached Thumbnails I hate my Evo...-p1010307.jpg  

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...