Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
My close friend offered to pay for a new clutch but since I was going to get a loan anyways, I rejected his offer.
You got a loan to replace a clutch on your? Or you got a loan to dig yourself out of a bad financial situation but a toast clutch happened to be on the to-do list?

Anyway my advice to new Evo owners is to maintain a bit of backup money in case something goes, rather then blowing it on mods within 24 hours of ownership. Not that it's necessary as I've found the cars to be 100% sound given they are taken care of correctly.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Love them both and have never had a better vehicle! yeah I paid both of mine off a long time ago, After I'm done modding, I'm saving so that I can be buried in my IX.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abdizzle
You got a loan to replace a clutch on your? Or you got a loan to dig yourself out of a bad financial situation but a toast clutch happened to be on the to-do list?
Second one. When the clutch went out, I might as well get some extra money to get this thing up and running. This loan helped me out a lot. Only got 3 things to pay monthly and still have some extra cash left to put it aside for this "just in case" deals.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by moscowmayhem
The evo and I have a love hate relationship..

the red one is mine-->

It was in the shop a week after I purchased it(14kmi) leaving me stranded as my only means of transport. I have owned the car for about a year and 2 month(currently at 34kMi). In that time i have gone through 2 sets of tires. Some issues with the K2 coilovers Blew out a front brake line somehow. First time driving a car with not brakes. Had to get the stock suspension put back on. Not to mention the constant alignments I went through. Had a few check engine soon lights due to O2 and fuel levels. The oil changes rack up when you use the car as a dd.

Yet, i get a big smile on my face everything i jump behind the momo steering wheel. As previously stated, "no better way to escape from reality." Going for a ride in the evo after a stress filled day is the best medicine. I try to baby the car as much as I can when I am putting to and from work. I feel this is the best way to avoid problems. Find a good shop you trust, baby the car as much as you can and be easy on the mods if you are on a budget, that's my 2 cents.

sick car, and i couldnt agree more, babying the car and having a shop do the work is money well spent instead of trying to do it yourself and messing things up. then have a little money set aside for known problems with the car. i dont even own an evo yet but i know that the clutch and t case are common problems, so instead of me throwing money into it id rather save that cash first then mod it after the fact.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

this thread is hilarious
Old May 10, 2009, 01:27 PM

I have a love hate relationship with my evo.
Yes the payments suck, insurance sucks, the warranty and dealerships suck, crap breaks, yadayadayada.
my problem is thinking ill be satisfied at a certain power, then it quickly becomes insufficient.

but driving , working on / modifying your own ride, and having a car that stands out ( and not because of a tacky color ) make it my favorite car.
Old May 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

I never thought this thread would grow so big when I started it. I think I've learned just about everything that can go wrong with an Evo by reading others stories lol.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by N33d4sp33d
....I am a true believer the 4g63 motor in my evo 9 is like the 4cyl version of the 2jzgte...and I Love My Evo !!!!
Yup. The "3 kings of the Orient": 2JZGTE, RB26, 4G63.

Gary
Old May 11, 2009, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife asked me today how much I have spent modding my Evo and I never gave it much thought until I added it it all up in my head. And I was like holy sh!.
This is definatley one of the best platforms ever to build on but will also keep your pockets empty. I love/hate my Evo.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Talonboost
1990 DSM: AAA card was my first mod also.

Gary
I used up all my free towing in 2 months
Old May 16, 2009, 09:21 AM

Hmm, i've been doing research on EVOs because i'm wanting to by a low mileage EVO 9 MR. This thread is very interesting for my research. But i'm courious about the repair cost. Is it high because people are taking it in for the service? I'm pretty handy at wrenching so my question is are the EVOs easy to work on or does most owners take it to a repair shop for service ?

P.S. Even though i'm hearing things like "money pit" and spening thousands on repair bills, i'm still intrigue by the awesome power the 2.0 is capable of. It won't be my DD.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by marcellsr
Hmm, i've been doing research on EVOs because i'm wanting to by a low mileage EVO 9 MR. This thread is very interesting for my research. But i'm courious about the repair cost. Is it high because people are taking it in for the service? I'm pretty handy at wrenching so my question is are the EVOs easy to work on or does most owners take it to a repair shop for service ?

P.S. Even though i'm hearing things like "money pit" and spening thousands on repair bills, i'm still intrigue by the awesome power the 2.0 is capable of. It won't be my DD.
I could have done my brakes on my S2k 3x over with the money it costs to do the Evo brakes. These are just parts too.

If your handy with the wrench, should be no biggie. Things wear out fast in the Evo. Put some money aside.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what kind of electrical problems did you have? those are the worst.. as for the regular maintenance.... thats whats fun about owning a performance car. I love modding and making **** faster when I owned a dsm it spent more time in the garage then street.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusiondsm
what kind of electrical problems did you have? those are the worst.. as for the regular maintenance.... thats whats fun about owning a performance car. I love modding and making **** faster when I owned a dsm it spent more time in the garage then street.
Lots of fun, let me tell you. Re wired, re soldered, heat shrink, and then taped in the are the size of a shoe box to work in. The car is parasitic, I can't seem to get tid of her. Never been like this with a car before. Love/Hate.

Old May 16, 2009, 12:19 PM

the love hate relationship is always present when you own a modified car...you have to pay to play

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...