Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
took approx. 2 months to get my tcase and tranny back from shep. I have never driven my car since purchasing it. I'm crazy.
No problem with that I owned a 1958 Alfa Romeo for about 10 years and never drove it once. Just worked on it. And stored it a lot

Gary
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

well the car may be finally be ready by Tuesday..I've driven an EVO on test drives but not for an extended period of time...I'm a little bit excited.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally had my first real problem. A spring in my clutch disk blew out at Lime Rock. Since I have the tranny out and have always had a bad 5th gear (synchros) and find a lot of metal shavings on my tranny drain plug, I figured now's the time to get the tranny rebuilt. So my car's on jack stands for a month while Shep rebuilds the tranny. Add that to the Exedy twin and rental car and I'm looking at $3k+. Definitely not a cheap car, but she will be back and better than ever!

Oh, 70k miles and an ACT clutch with at least 40k miles on it (I bought the car with 30k and don't know how many miles it had before that).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Damn thought shep turn around time was sooner than months. Whenever I needed to get mine rebuilt, I was hoping on just turning it into a mini vacation around that area for a week or so until it was ready. I hate renting cars here. About 25% rental tax here ><
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

is it me or have you spent more on tires than u ever expected
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

I never drive enought to need them, and for track tires its expected imo, buy em by the dozen
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:17 PM

trade it in for a Honda
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Trust me dude, I feel your pain. Expect my issue was a lot bigger and by far more expensive.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

bought mine in march. 200 miles (3 days) later the clutch quit. was without for about a week sourcing parts and had to drive my moms car to work. got the tcase, trans and diff fluids changed when the clutch was done, mid may took it out to a test and tune and in two days completely destroyed a set of tires. so bought a set of star specs. after driving on those for about 3k miles, i got thinking, wow, another 8k miles and these will be done for (if im lucky) so instead of going thru tires every couple months, went out and got a second set of wheels from a member on here, and got a set of all seasons for my daily commute. coming up on 60k next month, gonna have to sink some money into her then too.
i love my money pit.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meggs00
is it me or have you spent more on tires than u ever expected
my advans went out at 8,000 miles then my proxes went away at 38k now goodyear eagle GT's i had on the car.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:39 PM

A beater is definitely the way to go, I dive a Honda 90% of the time, but when I take out my BMW I appreciate it so much more and it's a lot cheaper too.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blast83
Damn thought shep turn around time was sooner than months. Whenever I needed to get mine rebuilt, I was hoping on just turning it into a mini vacation around that area for a week or so until it was ready. I hate renting cars here. About 25% rental tax here ><
In APril it was a week or 2 tops. Trevor from Shep said he doesn't know what happened but literally overnight the turnaround time went up by 5 weeks.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Theres always more ups about an Evo then downs. Hang in there big guy things always seem to work out
Old Oct 11, 2009, 08:57 AM

I know this thread is a little old, but I just came across it. I just read all pages and this is very

interesting. I am getting ready to get an evo and now I am a little nervous. Could all these

problems be due to careless drivers and not changing fluids properly. My srt-4 got flooded out

in a storm this year and now I am saving up mod money before I got the evo. There were

alot of guys with serious problems with their srt-4 including my friends. My friends went

through tranmissions,clutches, and axels like crazy. I purchased my srt-4 with 20k miles and it

had 83k miles when it got flooded. I had all bolt-ons and a 75 shot of nitrous and was still on

the factory clutch and NO tansmission problems but I was the only one who change my oil

every 2500 miles(mobile 1), spark plugs every other oil change, trans fluid every 10k miles. I

did these things because I drove my car everyday and I did not want to be sitting on the side

of the road like everyone else. So I was just wondering, I could drive my NEON everyday

modded with no problems but I can't drive an evo(double in price) daily because things will

break. I will have a dd when I get the evo but I was wondering why the evo can't hold up to

dd like my srt-4 and I went wot almost everyday in the srt-4, not racing everyday but getting

on the interstate going to work I would hit it so I could be smiling when I got to work to deal

with crazy guest. The srt-4 was a super fun car to drive everyday and my car

was never broke down. I just want the evo to be the same way especially for the price.

Oh, I want at least 400whp out of the evo.

Last edited by qdiddy; Oct 11, 2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added words
Old Oct 11, 2009, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qdiddy
I know this thread is a little old, but I just came across it. I just read all pages and this is very

interesting. I am getting ready to get an evo and now I am a little nervous. Could all these

problems be due to careless drivers and not changing fluids properly. My srt-4 got flooded out

in a storm this year and now I am saving up mod money before I got the evo. There were

alot of guys with serious problems with their srt-4 including my friends. My friends went

through tranmissions,clutches, and axels like crazy. I purchased my srt-4 with 20k miles and it

had 83k miles when it got flooded. I had all bolt-ons and a 75 shot of nitrous and was still on

the factory clutch and NO tansmission problems but I was the only one who change my oil

every 2500 miles(mobile 1), spark plugs every other oil change, trans fluid every 10k miles. I

did these things because I drove my car everyday and I did not want to be sitting on the side

of the road like everyone else. So I was just wondering, I could drive my NEON everyday

modded with no problems but I can't drive an evo(double in price) daily because things will

break. I will have a dd when I get the evo but I was wondering why the evo can't hold up to

dd like my srt-4 and I went wot almost everyday in the srt-4, not racing everyday but getting

on the interstate going to work I would hit it so I could be smiling when I got to work to deal

with crazy guest. The srt-4 was a super fun car to drive everyday and my car

was never broke down. I just want the evo to be the same way especially for the price.

Oh, I want at least 400whp out of the evo.
For the most part evo's are very well put together vehicles. 400whp is very easy to achieve on the evo 9 and 10 with stock turbo. Just be warned, even though the evo is awd and handles very well, you can still lose control fairly easy in them even at speeds 60mph+.. they have an abnormally really touchy feedback steering wheel setup and this is why you see tons of horrible wrecks in them.

As long as you change your transfercase fluids every 15k, oil every 3500, and rear diff & trans fluid every 30k ( i believe ) and make sure timing belts changed at around 65k, you should be fine.... depending on what spark plugs you decide to use, youll be changing those every 3-5k as well.

If you decide to launch the car, ALWAYS slip the clutch, never let it dump or you will break all kinds of **** left and right.

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...