Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far I have had very little issues for my baby. Just basic stuff like brakes and oil changes. I do agree the payments are a little rough, but like they say you have to pay to play.
Old May 8, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

You know.. my car has been plagued with issues (which I've fixed) but I'm an optimistic person. I feel that while my car is down, it gives me time to miss it.

For example, my car was down for 2 months while we tried to figure out an electrical issue... when it was back in action, I felt like I was driving a brand new car again!
Old May 8, 2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by street dreamin8
yea i fell ur pain but every time the boost comes on it all gos away
this^^

im still living at home, but my cars paid off. im thinking about an STI or another evo as a "winter beater" but i kinda wanna move out.
Old May 8, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by guapoholic
Right now I need a clutch and I'd rather (insert sarcasm here) stand outside in the bone chilling below zero weather of Boston for the bus than drive my Evo. I'm a bit tight on cash at the moment so I've been putting it aside for a couple of weeks now and will be doing so for at least a couple more. Just thought it would be nice to hear someone of you guys pain so it could ease mine a bit
I'm in the same boat but I live in California and I get to Daily Drive my motorcycle. Like the old saying, it pays to play. Going fast costs a lot to be reliable.

Pick 2

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Old May 8, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Well I totaled my evo a little over 2 months ago and I'm still trying to figure out what my next baby will be. I need something spacious because I have a kid, but I keep telling myself no more Evos. I really want an Evo IX or X though after all this time.. any thoughts?
Old May 8, 2010, 10:07 PM

My Evo had only 24,000 miles when I bought it 6 months ago. It has a few interior trim pieces missing that I already ordered from Mitsubishi.

One thing that pisses me off is a gap on my drivers door side between the bottom of the door frame and the plastic door panel. The gap is a lot bigger than the gap on my drivers door. It's as if the door is misaligned or something.

I can see it from the drivers seat every time I drives and it makes me want to take a baseball bat to the car.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It has definitely been a love/hate relationship for me. I got a really good deal on my BBY 03 when I bought it six months ago and I knew it had some issues with it when I got but it definitely seems like everytime I turn around something else is wrong. Here's my list of repairs so far:
1) Water pump- Freeze plug blew out (Covered by extended warranty)
2) Alternator- Destroyed by the water pump dumping anti-frieeze on it (Covered by extended warranty)
3) Two sets of Iridium plugs and a retune- Dealership flashed the car back to stock when they fixed the water pump and didn't tell me so I had to have it retuned. In the mean time I burnt up 2 sets of plugs from the car running too rich
4) Broken studs causing leaks on the exhaust manifold- I knew about this when I bought the car and the warranty company wouldn't cover it cuz I don't have a cat Yeah figure that one out. This is a really long story but I ended up cancelling the warranty and getting most of my money back. Turned out to be a pretty good deal for me cuz I basically got the water pump and alternator fixed for next to nothing.
5) Radio started blowing fuses one night because of some bad wiring. I fixed this myself
6) Sunroof quit working- This one I was also aware of when I bought the car. Worked fine at first but then got stuck open the other night. Had to put the screws back in the motor and clean out a gum wrapper that was stuck in the track. Yeah that's right... a stinkin' gum wrapper!!!

Other than that she's been great and like someone else said "Every time I hit boost I forget about all of the problems I had!" I'm just hoping that I finally got all of the bugs worked out from the previous owner and now I can drive her for a little while without having to fix anything.
Old May 9, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

payments and insurance is pretty killer gas wise is pretty nasty too.... lol but you can complain this is prolly one of the easiest car to make power from :] but then again no fat wallet.. :[
Old May 9, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....when i'm in boost i forget about everything......especially what's in my rear view mirror!
Old May 10, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
guapoholic : if you think that way, dont get it.... get something luxury.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:21 PM
Account Disabled

you guys are killin me with all this negative talk lol... I have been looking forward to getting an evo, but I'm looking for a reliable DD. It doesn't have to be a DD because I have another vehicle, but I hate driving it.

Sounds like the consensus is that if you mod it, it becomes unreliable. At least in this thread
Old May 13, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXHoosier
you guys are killin me with all this negative talk lol... I have been looking forward to getting an evo, but I'm looking for a reliable DD. It doesn't have to be a DD because I have another vehicle, but I hate driving it.

Sounds like the consensus is that if you mod it, it becomes unreliable. At least in this thread
A modified Evo can be very reliable, it just needs to be done right. That said, I did blow up an engine on the road course (the only time my Evo ever left me stranded). Which was attributed to improper tuning by someone thats not around anymore. If you side step the clutch at 6000rpm don't expect your trans/clutch/transfer case to last long. When you buy your Evo, just follow the progressive tuning stages that either Buscher or AMS has, and I don't mean buy similar parts from ebay. Also don't drive it like an idiot (read: launching at every light) and it will be very reliable. When the clutch goes put an Exedy Hyper twin in it and keep $1000 laying around for brakes/rotors/tires etc...FTMFW
Old May 14, 2010, 04:58 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIXHoosier
Sounds like the consensus is that if you mod it badly, it becomes unreliable. At least in this thread
Fixed.
Old May 14, 2010, 06:24 AM
Account Disabled

lol, thanks for the tips guys.. I mean I found it hard to believe that a 30K+ car would be unreliable with a few mods. I live on the east side of Indiana, AMS is about 4 hours away which isn't too bad, but I found a place the other day over in Ohio and I can't remember there damn name now. It was only like 2 hours away from me, which would be awesome, but like I said, can't remember the name. Slow Motion is a good tuning shop right?

Sorry for the OT, not trying to derail thread.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:40 AM

It definitely isn't a hassle free car.

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...