Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like a lot of you need some money management skills or should have considered this before modding/buying the evo
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need a beater, i bought a 1990 honda dx lmao with 250,000 miles for $300 bucks, i changed the timing belt, water pump, and some other basics and beleive it or not it runs better then my evo and its got brand new paint!

and dont forget the 5 speed and 40mpg highway lmao
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

^ what that guy said.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoDom
you need a beater, i bought a 1990 honda dx lmao with 250,000 miles for $300 bucks, i changed the timing belt, water pump, and some other basics and beleive it or not it runs better then my evo and its got brand new paint!

and dont forget the 5 speed and 40mpg highway lmao
they can't afford a clutch but can afford to buy, register, maintain and insure a second car?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

I've never had issues with unforeseen mechanical or electrical issues on either of my Evos...?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

I have to agree with Mr Turco...My guess is most of the individuals complaining about the cost of the Evo are in their 20s and should have bought a different car. I actually think the Evo is super cheap and should be considered a value sports car / sedan (e.g. an entire engine can be bought for ~$5k and can keep up with a 911)...

If you are having troubles with the upkeep, my recommendation would be to sell the car, buy a Toyota Camry / Corolla, and buy the Evo later when you can afford it. Now is a much better time to be putting that extra cash in the stock market (if you are young in your career)...

Either way, best of luck....Some day you'll be complaining about your $60K Porsche rebuild .
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GRNCT9A
Payments are killer, after I'm done paying off the car, I'm sure I'll get myself into something else with high payments...like an apartment. I also have to finish getting my BA in General Management....crap, i need new tires badly, I'm still on the stockers with 22k....LOL. I also have to adjust my ets uicp, the bottom scraps against the frame and its annoying when it rubs all the time and everyone in the car asks "whats that sound"...anyways, I love the evo, just hate not having enough money.
Originally Posted by guapoholic
Lmao.. yeah these payments are killing me. Not enough to wanna start a thread such as 'Have you thought of selling your Evo' but it's making me have to wait on things like these that just are just UNACCEPTABLE! I'm sure I'll get the same rush I got the day I bought it again.. worse part is this was shortly after I got the car.. Only a month! So I'm yearning that feeling right about now. Never dealing with that dealer again, they did nothing but a dam oil change before I bought the car. Still love her though.
I'll never understand this mentality. Why would you strap yourself to a car payment you knowingly cannot afford?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

So do the clutches in these cars go out just for fun, or do you really have to be hard on launching to wipe out a clutch?

All I hear about these cars are clutches and transfer cases. You guys must be doing something seriously wrong. 6k dumps, power shifting, something.

I'm about to buy one of these cars and I dont need to hear all this horror talk.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:29 AM

I dont plan to get serious with mods untill my evo is paid off. Just the basics and I feel it will run a long time(many evos w/over 100k still Daily Driving). Between the bad economy, house payment, car payment, exc... it can get tough at times, but its worth it.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:35 AM
lem

i actually love my evo my wife hates it. she hates it because it is a lancer and for the money i could have gotten a 3 series maybe 328. insurance is high (i have no points) and im always washing it
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Danner
So do the clutches in these cars go out just for fun, or do you really have to be hard on launching to wipe out a clutch?

All I hear about these cars are clutches and transfer cases. You guys must be doing something seriously wrong. 6k dumps, power shifting, something.

I'm about to buy one of these cars and I dont need to hear all this horror talk.
I have 31k on my stock clutch w/no signs of trouble? The more you up the power and beat on it, the faster it will go out.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Danner

Most of the complaining you hear is from people that will beat the cr@p out of the car and then wonder why it breaks, or just don't know how to drive.

There are plenty of people here that run 450whp on basicaly stock drivetrain and have no issues.

Don't think you will be able to lauch the car couple times a day and expect no issues.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

My stock clutch lasted until 40K miles. The only reason I replaced it was because some of my modifications surpassed the limits of the clutch (the clutch would start slipping in high load scenarios). Launching (dropping clutch from 6K) the car will definitely impact the life of any clutch and will put wear on the drivetrain.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't feel your pain, but my Wife sure does. She absolutly hates the car because I am "always doing something to it", or "you are going to the track again". My kids and I all love the car. It is a blast to drive.

I believe that anyone who owns an Evo should either be a great mechanic, or have the money to pay for one.

Any car that makes the power and thakes abuse that our Evos do are going to break, and break often. This is the give and take of the car. We all replace clutches, brakes, tires, fluids, syncros, struts, and the list goes on.

Reguardless of the high level of maintenance, the car is by far the best bang for the buck a guy could ask for. If only there were a way I could get my wife to agree.

My maintenance since 2003...
6 sets of tires
3 sets of rotors
4 sets of brake pads
1 rebuilt tranny
4 clutches
21 oil changes

Last edited by Appauldd; Apr 7, 2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My EVO was a weekend car, but the problem was I only really liked the car when I was beating on it. Just cruising I always wished I was in my the X5 or even Caravan.

My Z06 is on the other end of the spectrum. I love looking at it, driving it, beating on it, I love the whole package.

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...