Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I hate my Evo...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree with you Appauldd,,,
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:17 AM

Im so broke ive been driven on a slipping clutch for at least 4 months and shes my daily driver... Trust me I feel your pain!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

i jus had to spend 2grand on a new rack npinion/steering rack... and i lost my wheel key and have wire on all 4 tires.... its all part of the game
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by newevil
Never ending money pit indeed is what I think till I hit boost.
Then it becomes a financial black hole.

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I've never had issues with unforeseen mechanical or electrical issues on either of my Evos...?
I've not had too many non-self induced issues with any of my cars, and rarely had anything that caught me by surprise.

Originally Posted by Danner
So do the clutches in these cars go out just for fun, or do you really have to be hard on launching to wipe out a clutch?

All I hear about these cars are clutches and transfer cases. You guys must be doing something seriously wrong. 6k dumps, power shifting, something.

I'm about to buy one of these cars and I dont need to hear all this horror talk.
No. the stock clutch in mine lasted to 89,610 miles (first time it slipped). Its had the 35r kit on since around 35k. Second owner was one of my best friends (well, still is ), and he bought the car in 03 with ~ 8k on it.

The only complaints I have about the car are the payments (not a problem of affording them, just the mere fact that its a monthly drain.. I've never had a car payment before this car), and its not particularly pleasant for long drives esp without cruise control. Its a blast to bomb around town in, and I'm sure it'll be more fun with the new clutch. I'm having a hard time keeping myself from tossing out the volvo stuff and making the evo the new toy. I imagine its only a matter of time.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by monster whip!
go get yourself beater for like 500-1000 and call it a day, i have a kia as mine and all it needed was a clutch and a few minor fixes. total cost 800$, and u will appreciate your evo hole lot more then u do now.
that's exactly my plan. To buy a beater that I ****ing hate driving, so that when I get the EVO out every few days it'll feel like a race car experience.

It's awesome having an EVO while in school, but it sucks having to work your life away for it. but ohwell, wouldn't trade it for anything...yet.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hate driving at night, past 12, my car is white, so cops see me a mile away, every car wants to street race, gas is killing me, and the maintence isnt cheap
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kanyonkid
i jus had to spend 2grand on a new rack npinion/steering rack... and i lost my wheel key and have wire on all 4 tires.... its all part of the game
for what car!!??
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

I love it but there's many things I need to fix to make me happy. Many..many things.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:29 AM

I love my evo! I may complain a lot about stupid stuff. There is always something new I need for the evo. I have a DD and cant really complain when I drive that everyday to work and get to come home and drive the evo for fun!!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have an 05 honda pilot which will be my daily. Im still paying on that, but the evo I'm just going to pay cash for. i've got my eyes on a 9.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

The evo is a great dd if you modify it conservatively. I see too many guys pushing the stock bottom ends past 400 whp and hoping to keep it in working condition which hardly ever happens. Personally if you're willing to keep it right around 400 whp I think you can have a very dependable and reliable evo. If you want to go past the 400 whp mark then you better look for a new DD in case things blow up in your face. The issue with clutches is if you launch them, they'll eventually fail. You need to realize that the more you beat on these cars the more they're going to break. Be conservative on your driving if you know your tranny is on it's last leg, or if your transfer case is about to go. I see too many people who are neither experienced car gurus owning this car and expecting it to be hastle free all the while wanting more and more power. I can't tell you how many guys I know that have excess of 400 whp and know nothing about their Evo. Personally one of my best friends owns an Evo shop and without him letting me work on my car on a weekly basis it would be full of issues. This car is a weekly if not monthly maintenance machine. You can't expect to push 400 + whp and never have issues with things failing on you. Especially if you're on a stock bottom end. Either keep it below 400 whp or have it built, there's no in between in my book. Put it this way. Do NASCAR cars need daily maintenance to keep them running. Of course cause they're beaten on every day, which is what most evo owners do to their cars. If you drive conservatively your maintenance with be conservative, if you beat on it and drive like you've heisted a bank then expect it to break down. Remember you're pushing an engine that was designed only to put out 300 whp, with each modification you've made the car that much more likely to break down. Good luck guys, but don't complain about your evo breaking down especially if you bought it used and didn't know where or what abuse the engines been through up to that point. I see way too many owners paying loads of cash trying to fix up what appears to be a stock evo, only to come to find out that it once had a 35r on it and the cylinder walls already scored and trashed. Good luck guys
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by dave3kgt
I feel your pain too my friend. I just finished replacing a blown engine only to find out that my transmission is about to die... Neverending money pit and I never seem to be able to keep up with the cost enough to mod it as much as I would like. Don't give up though, the Evo is still an incredible car to own and drive no matter how many things come up.
funny i also jus replaced my shortblocks with a brand new one from mitsu. then i hear the dreaded death whine. transfer case ftl
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sdfontanini
The evo is a great dd if you modify it conservatively. I see too many guys pushing the stock bottom ends past 400 whp and hoping to keep it in working condition which hardly ever happens. Personally if you're willing to keep it right around 400 whp I think you can have a very dependable and reliable evo. If you want to go past the 400 whp mark then you better look for a new DD in case things blow up in your face. The issue with clutches is if you launch them, they'll eventually fail. You need to realize that the more you beat on these cars the more they're going to break. Be conservative on your driving if you know your tranny is on it's last leg, or if your transfer case is about to go. I see too many people who are neither experienced car gurus owning this car and expecting it to be hastle free all the while wanting more and more power. I can't tell you how many guys I know that have excess of 400 whp and know nothing about their Evo. Personally one of my best friends owns an Evo shop and without him letting me work on my car on a weekly basis it would be full of issues. This car is a weekly if not monthly maintenance machine. You can't expect to push 400 + whp and never have issues with things failing on you. Especially if you're on a stock bottom end. Either keep it below 400 whp or have it built, there's no in between in my book. Put it this way. Do NASCAR cars need daily maintenance to keep them running. Of course cause they're beaten on every day, which is what most evo owners do to their cars. If you drive conservatively your maintenance with be conservative, if you beat on it and drive like you've heisted a bank then expect it to break down. Remember you're pushing an engine that was designed only to put out 300 whp, with each modification you've made the car that much more likely to break down. Good luck guys, but don't complain about your evo breaking down especially if you bought it used and didn't know where or what abuse the engines been through up to that point. I see way too many owners paying loads of cash trying to fix up what appears to be a stock evo, only to come to find out that it once had a 35r on it and the cylinder walls already scored and trashed. Good luck guys
couldnt agree more. when i had 400whp with 390tq my car was bulletproof. as soon as i went pass 520whp **** jus started f&*kin up. replaced my shortblock already building up the old shortblock in the next few months as a backup.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Best thing to do is buy a whole new shortblock have it built and then to the transplant. You can get a stock block for like $1500. This is your safest bet and the smartest route IMO
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

i think your all a bunch of whiners! You know how many people would looooove to own your evo??just look at all the morons who buy regular lancers and try and make it an evo.Suck it up and be happy for what you have!

Quick Reply: I hate my Evo...