Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bringing my Evo II to the USA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregrego
I helped a friend of mine bring 2 rhd cars to Portland, the guy paid cash, signed the bill of sale etc, the sale was legal, but he was never planning to register the cars to be driven on the street. They were both turned into track cars only.
This was somthing I was considering but just need to do more research. My thought is if the car is NOT to be driven on public roads, why does it have to be street legal.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

They are legal to own just not legal to register.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dibsen
This was somthing I was considering but just need to do more research. My thought is if the car is NOT to be driven on public roads, why does it have to be street legal.
You are correct, it doesn't have to be street legal persay, but it must meet any requirements for whatever track event you will be using the car for...

Best way is to pay for a Canadian to drive it across the border because the border might be sticky about crossing it in a non street legal car. When I brought the car over it was registered and insured in my name, so the border officials didn't say anything about the car
Old Jul 1, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gregrego
You are correct, it doesn't have to be street legal persay, but it must meet any requirements for whatever track event you will be using the car for...

Best way is to pay for a Canadian to drive it across the border because the border might be sticky about crossing it in a non street legal car. When I brought the car over it was registered and insured in my name, so the border officials didn't say anything about the car
Nice Info...but how were you able to get the car off of your name at your local motor vechicle administration. Here in Maryland, when you sell a car, you have to provide the motor vehicle adminstration (the people who manage all car title issues and licenses) with the new owners name and address. If I were to give them the address of someone in Canada (for example), I would assume they would give me some problems? Did you encounter any problems on your end? I've always wanted a JDM '98 type R and a TME Evo RS, and would be willing to take my chances. There is a guy locally who has a TME, and drive it on the streets. However, the car is still LHD...
Old Jul 1, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
There's a guy here in my area that has a legal R34. I can ask him what he had to do. All I know is that it did cost him a fortune.

Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by b00stedtalon
There's a guy here in my area that has a legal R34. I can ask him what he had to do. All I know is that it did cost him a fortune.
It is my understanding that there are no legal r34s. The R33 was the only car that Mortorex crash tested and got a waiver for. Then they lied by cut and pasting the R33 results for the R34.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Ah okay, interesting. Well, its legal enough for it to be registered and insured/plated.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by b00stedtalon

yeah that R34 was actually the LAST one to pass the test and the LAST one ever sold in US by motorex thats why that guy paid more than $100k for it, def NOT worth it in my opinion....to bring an evo from overseas YOU will not be able to register it, unless they crash 4 other ones to prove the car is worth driving on the street, BUT you could always use the vin number of a US spec crashed mirage and register it as that, i did my research on this a while back when i wanted an evo3 but not worth it considering the fact that it was a headache even in Michigan which does not even have any strict rules and also evo8,9 and 10 are a better platform for a better price.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:19 PM

you should just give it to me
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

the thing with using a mirage vin is that when the car is up for emmisions test it will never pass. In massachusetts, the emissions test consists of setting the car up on a roller and running the car at a certain speed for a certain amount of time. the mirage is FWD, the Evo is AWD. You could always state that you converted the car but that would require more paperwork.

I have an Evo VI TME and have thought about taking it back to the states and i could never get a clear answer. What I can tell you is that the one I have is an original 2001 Evo TME LHD. It was purchased from an authorized Mitsubishi dealer and one of the few that made it to Dominican Republic.

If anyone can shed some light on the subject, that would be great. What I don't understand is how you can build a car, insure it and register it...yet, you cannot import any vehicle that does not "meet" the US standard.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

you could say that you converted a mirage into an evo, and plug up the exhaust so it can pass emission, other than that the only other option is to bring another few other evos with you so they can crash them..most of the people i know have done the mirage conversion option, since no one can afford buying 4 evos and crashing 3..
Old Jul 1, 2009, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

I met a guy who used to be with devo tuning (its closed now) who had a street version of their Standing Mile car (sick evo II btw) and he had it registered as a mirage, had the mirage dash too so it was LHD. totally legit street evo, but with about 800WHP+ detuned

I'd look into that!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 01:20 PM

I actually started my tuner obsession with a 2001 Mirage so I know all about that game and it was something I considered. I was thinking of doing all the conversions here in the UK, including the interior swap to LHD (cuz driving RHD in a LHD ****ry sux anyway). After long consideration I just want to use it while I can and I will get something else like a MkIII Supra when I get home. I only paid 3 grand for my II and I have never really been one to hold onto a car for more than a year or two anyway, I like variety food, cars, girls, after a while its just time for a change.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8speed
Nice Info...but how were you able to get the car off of your name at your local motor vechicle administration. Here in Maryland, when you sell a car, you have to provide the motor vehicle adminstration (the people who manage all car title issues and licenses) with the new owners name and address. If I were to give them the address of someone in Canada (for example), I would assume they would give me some problems? Did you encounter any problems on your end? I've always wanted a JDM '98 type R and a TME Evo RS, and would be willing to take my chances. There is a guy locally who has a TME, and drive it on the streets. However, the car is still LHD...
No problems ever arose. The beauty of getting it from Canada is that our DMV requires no proof a car was sold at all. All I do is sign the registration over to the new owner (even though they can't register it) get a legal bill of sale written up and signed, I then call my insurance company and get coverage cut on the car, and then drop the plate off at the dmv and get my money back and just simply tell them I sold the vehicle. No questions asked. We don't have access to anything from 98' yet. We just began getting MK4 Supra's and I must say they are bags of ****, very disappointed in the quality of supra's coming over...