Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bringing my Evo II to the USA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing my Evo II to the USA

This is something I have researched and until now, seems like it can't be done. What I can't find out is if I can import it with no intentions of driving it on public roads until it is of age, 25 (its a 94 so it's got a few years to go).

My plan would be to have it shipped a few days after I leave England. That way I can drive to the port and put it on a trailor and bring it home.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe if it is registered for use off road only (track car/etc) it can be done...trying to get it legal on the streets would be a much larger issue
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah if your just going to use it for track racing or pretty much anything that doesnt require it to be driven on public roads etc. then you shouldn't have a problem.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

i would agree with these guys. especially in florida. seems like you can pretty much get away with anything down there.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

so you are moving back now.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:46 PM

if you find a way share the info man its hard though.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I seriously hope you talk to both sides of the pond (inspectors) prior to shipping. I have lived in both Japan and Europe and its not as easy as some portray it to be. It takes a lot of patience and money.. and then it takes more money. There are more than a few avenues to get cars into the US, but overall it'll be the US Inspectors that decide if whether or not it will. You take a chance regardless how you look at it. I sincerely hope you get the vehicle back. Nothing beats a true JDM in the states.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 06:40 PM

damn my friend imported a skyline gts and said WORST headace ever.... just a heads up to get Asprin
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:53 PM

if u can bring it here please post how u did
Old Apr 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dibsen
This is something I have researched and until now, seems like it can't be done. What I can't find out is if I can import it with no intentions of driving it on public roads until it is of age, 25 (its a 94 so it's got a few years to go).

My plan would be to have it shipped a few days after I leave England. That way I can drive to the port and put it on a trailor and bring it home.
well in the united states there is no 25 year rule.... canada has that rule.... you can legally import 25 year old cars into canade and drive them with a few small modifications...but the good ol' US of A does not have that rule.... if it does not have a us vin, your screwed!!!!

if i were you, i would find out how the drift guys get their cars over here for drift events.... i know they allow cars over here for racing events...maybe you can figure out a way to claim your coming over for a race, letter your call all up to look the part, then just take it all off when you get here, and hide the car
Old Apr 15, 2009, 04:44 PM

if u figure it out let us know i am thinking about bringing back an evo seven but it is startin to look like it would not be worth it
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

It's funny how many people ask to be told how to get imports into the country.

Has anyone shown open knowledge about these processes?

It seems pretty much EVERY single person I've read about who got a Skyline or Evo or some other crazy Import that doesn't belong here legally registered and all set will NOT divulge the information.

I wonder why that is?? Anyone who actually does it, like first hand experience and not what they know someone else did, won't talk about it. Like it's the directions to the Holy Grail or something.

So I just figured I'd throw that bit of info out to all the guys asking. If this guy figures it out I'm betting he won't be telling anyone.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If/when you figure it out, bring one for me too.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 07:49 PM

a member posted this website a while ago

http://www.japan-partner.com/

if you read the site i am sure it will answer a lot of your questions, they even have specific links to the DOT.

Quick question though... I know that in order to import a Skyline you'd have to make some serious modifications to the car itself, now what about for an Evo?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Importing used JDM High Performance Vehicles (and other used vehicles) into the USA is difficult, but not impossible. Any vehicles being imported to the USA needs to have been certified to comply with US safety and environmental standards, i.e. they need to have a DOT and an EPA mark.
Unfortunately almost all vehicles sold outside the USA do not have such marks.
They can however nevertheless be imported with the help of a Registered Importer, who can bring them into compliance with US regulations.
You can find a comprehensive list of Registered Importers following this web address: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...I_list5108.pdf
Going through an RI can be very expensive though.
A cheaper alternative may be to dismantle the vehicle you want and ship it by container to the US.
This is not an infringement of US laws as long as the vehicle will not be reassembled in the US. Most JDAM high performance cars in the US have been brought into the country this way.
Furthermore, there are two categories of vehicles that can be imported to the US relatively easily:
Mini Trucks (http://www.japan-partner.com/kei-truck.html) and RHD Jeep Cherokees.
There is a short list of RI's in the US. However, it is possible to become an RI.http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/ManInfo/Ripkg0011.pdf

Unless you plan to make aa living doing this it would probably be cheaper to go through an RI, than to become one.

Quick Reply: Bringing my Evo II to the USA