Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How would you decontent the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you decontent the EVO?

Say you were a product planner for Mitsubishi and needed to produce an EVO that could be sold for considerably less than $30k. Which features/components would you eliminate if you had to make a profit at $25k?

My list:

No HID
No standard A/C
No power windows
No standard radio
No Recarros
No Brembos
No rear window washer
215 x 16 wheels & tires
Steel hood & fenders w/flares
No intercooler spray (maybe make the FMIC an option)
Need to keep the engine & AWD.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

make the feature list similar to that of the WRX....
regular seats
no FMIC (do a DSM like SMIC)
"generic" brakes
no-name wheels
OZ style wing
no hids
Old Sep 26, 2003, 06:05 PM

those who can not afford need not apply. i want a 'vette, but i want a v6, with 200 hp, auto, drum brakes. get a buick.

why ruin the good things that are on the evo?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

If you took all that stuff out, it wouldn't be an Evo, right?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:08 PM

Re: How would you decontent the EVO?

Originally posted by Dale_K
Say you were a product planner for Mitsubishi and needed to produce an EVO that could be sold for considerably less than $30k. Which features/components would you eliminate if you had to make a profit at $25k?

My list:

No HID
No standard A/C
No power windows
No standard radio
No Recarros
No Brembos
No rear window washer
215 x 16 wheels & tires
Steel hood & fenders w/flares
No intercooler spray (maybe make the FMIC an option)
Need to keep the engine & AWD.
Great idea! Now its an OZ with AWD...

No offense to the Ozzies 'round here.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, it wouldn't be an OZ, it would be the Evo RS. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think it's such a bad idea either. But if I had to give up my brakes, wheels & seats, I don't think I'd pay $25k for it.

And personally I would much rather see a better Evo for $35 than a lesser one for $25...
Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BigBoogieman
I don't think it's such a bad idea either. But if I had to give up my brakes, wheels & seats, I don't think I'd pay $25k for it.

And personally I would much rather see a better Evo for $35 than a lesser one for $25...
Yeah, what he said!!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

People know the Evolution is an amzing car.
If you start making "cheaper"Evolutions it will lose it's status.
It is like when Mercedes started making cheaper cars, now it is no big deal to have a Mercedes.
At least for now the Evolution gets huge respect.
To some people that means nothing and to others it means a lot.
Just a thought.
It might be nice to have a "stripped" version for racing though.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

This Evo has already been put on a budget, one that leans towards performance, everything on this car gets the job done with safety and speed. I'll take the sports goodies it comes with, it's already a bargin (compare would it would cost to spiffy up any less expensive car to factory evolved specs).
Old Sep 27, 2003, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

Many months ago I mentioned that the Evolution could be less expensive without the Brembos and people were all over me like a bum on a bologna sandwich. They said the Brembos are needed for racing. Since then I went the STPR Rally and NOT ONE EVO VIII HAD BREMBOS on it.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

There are some rumors about a stripped down EVO coming next year. It looks to me like Mitsu has a disconnect between the target customers (young guys) and the $30k price. I see unsold EVO's everywhere but Dodge can't make enough SRT4's. The young guys can't afford the EVO. Most simply want a high powered, inexpensive car. It would be icing on the cake if the stripped down version was also faster than the current EVO due to a lower weight.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Like what are you going to strip down that wont unbalance the car? It would be insane to let some idiot kids zoom around with 275hp, ****ty brakes, crap tires, they can't see at night, sitting on sloppy seats. How can you make the engine less expensive, yank the forging? What about the super strong RS tranny? make the gears thinner? The interior is already from a budget mobile. The car is extremely fast in all ways straight from the factory (if you've Got Shoe). Sure, on one point the Brembos have a "bling" factor to them...but what other mitsu brakes (I don't know Mitsu parts bin) have twin piston setups - that would be close in price...and work perfectly with the brake distribution via ABS? The "cheapest" street setups that work well are from Stoptech..at $1600...I doubt it will stop any shorter than it does now. This is NOT the type of car you want a bunch of inexperienced 18-25 YOs running around in. If you can't pony up $30K (it's not that much) then don't enter the race. It'd be like...I want a Cheap S4....hmmmm, or a Cheap M3...darn those guys making $50K cars!!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dale_K
Most simply want a high powered, inexpensive car.
Mustank/Camaro/V8 with a few bolt ons would work dandy for those sorts.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I think It is absoulutely ludicrous for Mitsu to try and go cheaper. That is the biggest problem with business today. People want quality and options, not crap.

They need to be thinking about what things is the car missing that people are willing to give them their hard earned money for. Time for mitsu to earn some money. They need to off as options The AYC, SACD, Sequential Manual Transmission, better service and support, loaner Evo while in for service, etc. I'd pay $35k for the current Evo with all maintenance included, 325hp, Sequential Manual Transmission and a loaner when in for maintenance/service.

Going cheaper is the completely wrong way to go. They tried that with their 0-0-0 nonsense and now they still have no money but a bunch of people who can't pay for their cars now that they have to start paying.

Why do luxury/expensive companies continutually do better. Quality is paramount to longevity. Just as a any individuals reputation and choice of actions and words stick with them for life. Businesses that focus on providing the best bring people to them who are willing to spend a few extra dollars for less headache and proper customer service.

Money comes and goes, but time can never be recovered.

They haven't earned my money becuase of lack of a few additional options I would like to check on the order form.

Cruise Control, Sequential Manual Transmission, underbody paneling with rear diffuser. With this and an additional 50 hp, I'd be there right now. instead I'm just waiting, paying off the slocus (5 mos) to keep as the daily driver, and maybe going to purchase the Evo as a second toy for the weekends. If they had these as options I'd probably trade in the slocus and use the Evo as a daily driver/weekend fun car.

Quick Reply: How would you decontent the EVO?