Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo Timer voiding warranty?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Timer voiding warranty?

Anyone know anything of this, my friend says the BOV doesnt void warranty but a turbo timer and boost controller might void anyone had this happen or know if it does or not? any info helps thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

i don;t see how a TT will void the warrenty........ boost controller probably will but TT can't see how they could
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well a turbo timer will over-ride the computer to keep the turbo running and then turn off, i was just wondering if that would void the warranty...correct me if im completely wrong on this?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

seriously, a tt is like saying "i'm going to take even better care of my car by cooling it down properly". if THAT were to void the warranty, then we might as well give up tuning altogether.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by sleet
Well a turbo timer will over-ride the computer to keep the turbo running and then turn off, i was just wondering if that would void the warranty...correct me if im completely wrong on this?
If im not wroung the turbo timer doesnt over ride anything,It doesnt keep the turbo from turning off. It just keeps the car running for the set amount of time to give your turbo a chance to slow cool down befor ,It shut the car off..
In term of warranty it depends on how your turbotimer is hooked up. If your tappping into your ECU i can see Void a warranty, if if you car some how break down electronicly. But. other that that i cant see how they wuold void all of the cars warranty.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

For example If you got a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT or SRS AIR BAG LIGHT on and go back to the dealer they WILL PROBABLY try to blame it on the TURBO TIMER and said YOU F*CKED with the eletrical system.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Turbo Timer voiding warranty?

Originally posted by sleet
Anyone know anything of this, my friend says the BOV doesnt void warranty but a turbo timer and boost controller might void anyone had this happen or know if it does or not? any info helps thanks.
Funny you should say that. I got in to a pretty heated debate with the customer service department of Mitsubishi of North America about this.

To make a long story short, they said that ANY power adder or aftermarket part on the car's drivetrain would void the entire drivetrain warranty, which I laughed at...I asked them "What about a blow off valve?" and they said that it would void the warranty. So according to them, adding a BOV to your car will void your transmission warranty. That makes sense, doesn't it?

As for the turbo timer, I don't think they could prove anything here. Same with the BOV, actually.

How about this, they have to prove that the part that broke was broken by the part in question. If your ECU craps the bed, they MIGHT be able to pin it on the turbo timer, if you don't want to fight it too hard. If your car throws a rod at 5,000 RPM, there is no way they can say that a turbo timer will cause that...

If they can't prove it, they have to warranty it. SEMA is good about providing information about this kind of thing.

Josh
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Aiite well imma probally ask the dealer about this but thanks alot everyone for the info. !
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are some dealers installing turbo timers for customers, when you go in jsut point out to them that the owners manual says that the car needs to remain on for several seconds before you turn it off .... PS if they give you a hard time install it then take it out later not hard at all...
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

9 times out of 10, you will find that the individual dealerships are a lot more understanding of mods than the coperation as a whole. My dealership asked me if I was familiar with TT's and such when I first started talking to them about getting the car. Once they realized that I had been around the 4G63 and other turbo cars, they started askimg me what I would do to improve the car. I told them the FMIC was a great improvement and that I was really supprised to see it actually make it to the US market. I told them that I am glad the AYC and ACD were scrapped for our cars, because all that technology just takes away the great driving experience of the car (get a M3 or an M5 to go in to a controlled slide, then argue this point with me).

I have been pleased as hell with my dealership and the service has always been top notch. When I go in, they are always quick to come over and talk cars. I have even seen a salesman bring over potential buyers to my car and talk to me and them about it. He basically just told them about the car and promoted it as one of the many great products that Mitsu has came out with. Unfortunately, the dealership I got mine from can't get any more Evo's because they have already sold their quota and Mitsu won't give them anymore. They are still cool as hell with me and sometimes even laugh about how **** Mitsubishi of North America is about some of their views.

Kinda how we are proud to be Americans, but we have to laugh about some of the decisions our leaders make sometimes.

Just find a cool dealership that will be honest with you. Tell him the ideas you have on modifying the car and the benifit of each mod. Find out in advance what they will stand behind and what they won't. Some things are a sacrifice. If you want to make more power and you install a boost controler / ECU modifier / bigger turbo / whatever, don't expect them to warranty the factory parts that they directly affect.

Josh
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

awesome im defenatly gonna ask my dealer about this stuff then thanks for all the info.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

No problem. That's what we're here for. Well, that...and a few other things.

Josh
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:00 PM
In Timeout

If you dont want to void get a field harness. Its a attachment so you tap the wires of the field harness instead of the ecu so you can remove the harness if your dealer is being turds.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by leaveit2bevo1
If you dont want to void get a field harness. Its a attachment so you tap the wires of the field harness instead of the ecu so you can remove the harness if your dealer is being turds.
My turbo timer uses a harness on the ignition column. Why would you need to tap a TT on to the ECU connectors?

Josh
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:10 PM
In Timeout

Oh my bad I have a HKS type 1 and it has all these features like 0-60 and rpm monitor so you need to tap the ecu wires.

Quick Reply: Turbo Timer voiding warranty?