Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

calling red EVOS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calling red EVOS

probably seen it before . did a tiny area on my car with swirl removal because the dealership but more then a million swirls in my paint. When i looked at the rag it was red. Swirls were dimished alittle but still there. Whats the deal. IS there clear coat or just paint. Why is my paint coming off? I used 3m very mild swirl remover.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

You have no clear coat. Lots of other people have experienced the same thing. This is the only reason I chose the black over the red.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I think in the end the black will show that the worse. thats why I chose the red, weird :P
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

I did one light coat of polish on the trunk. I de-badged and had some slight surface scatches. Once I re-waxed, I had red on the applicator and buffing rag.
I plan on some custom rally stripes painted on. I will have them buff and clear coat the entire car then. I already notice the side skirts fading faster than the rest of the car.
Pretty cheap paint job!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

The paint job is terrible. I might have the car simonized with the teflon coating, hopefully that might add a couple years to the paint.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 06:07 AM

Dont bother with a "teflon coating". For teflon to bond to any surface, the surface must be at least 1500 degrees, so unless you plan on lighting your car on fire, you are not getting "teflon". Your best bet would be a wax with a high concentration of carnuba or have a body shop put a triple stage clear coat on your car.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 06:27 AM

Will you post pictures after you get it teflon coated? @ 1500 degrees your car will be protected and you can cook breakfast on it at the same time......
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

The paint is pretty but it is uneven from panel to panel. It does rub off, especially from the hood which gets HOT. I took red because it was there (one to choose from and mine would not let go of me till I took her home). Oh well. I use Meguires yellow and I keep her out of the sun or properly covered as much as possible. But, like Mr. Trump or Ms. Etheridge might do, when she loses her charm I'll give her a make over or trade her in on a fresh and new model.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:51 AM

I would suggest switching wax, Meguiers Yellow wax is a polymer based wax and offers less protection than a carnuba wax. I recommend One Grand Blitz paste wax, it is 100% NON-abrasive and has a high carnuba concentration. Plus the One Grand is very easy to apply and remove and is great for a daily driver car.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Anubis
Will you post pictures after you get it teflon coated? @ 1500 degrees your car will be protected and you can cook breakfast on it at the same time......
and details like that are why i usually do reseach before i take a plunge into anything. Gotta love dealership pamplets... Any ideas on how much putting a clear coat might be?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:54 AM

Also be sure that your car is totally cooled before waxing or polishing. Waxing a warm or hot surface will cause damage to the paint as well as enhance your chances of creating more swirls.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:57 AM

I would get estimates from local body shops, the price on putting a clear coat on will vary depending on the needs of your paint and prep time.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:58 AM
In Timeout

I use a full combo of Zaino products on my Red Evo...

I have Malco polish at the shop that doesent take off any paint (4 other polishes I have did take the paint off)...works good! Then I do acouple coats of wax!
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:09 AM

wait a minute...

if you all are saying the red is coming off on a cloth hasn't anyone gone back to the dealer and complained and get them to fix it?!

granted I haven't gotten my evo yet but I was gonna go with red and i'll be pretty pissed if i'm gonna pay 30grand and the pant comes off when you buff the wax? what the heck!
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Haven't you heard? Polishing and waxing your car voids your warranty!

Quick Reply: calling red EVOS