Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just FWIW, I've just agreed to work with another fellow 2006 RS owner. He already has nearly a full bolton setup, such as ported exhaust manifold, ported O2 housing, UICP, LICP, MBC, After Market Intake system, larger IC and changing the clutch this week. He currently has a best of 12.9. We're going to see what we can do with helping him get to mid 11's. More to come with this setup too. I'll let him announce who he is if he wants to.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Indy / 9sec9 -- I wonder what your thoughts are on the exhaust. Several years ago I dyno'd my car with stock exhaust (winter) and then again in summer with 3" Megan Racing TBE and a new tune -- results were within a few hp. I have asked numerous times if folks have done back to back with stock exhaust (to see if a 3" is really needed) and usually just get flamed .

So seeing as you have achieved great results so far, do you think a car running ~29 psi on stock turbo and meth would benefit from the 3" exhaust or is it just overkill giving the amount of air the engine is pushing? Thanks in advance
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

We recently pushed the boost to 29 psi with all stock components, including the stock cat. The logs 'Appeared' as though we may have hit a pressure wall around 28-29 psi, but not enough data to really verify that. The early data showed very little gain if any between 28 and 29 psi. Experience with turbo s haft rpm's has also taught me to trust the data, so my early thoughts are that we were running into a bottle neck somewhere. Most likely, not everything 'bottle necks' in the exhaust at the same rpm/boost. The stock cat is a potential suspect, as well as the stock O2 housing. We were going to change both of those at the same time, but then, we wouldn't know which one was the culprit. At least by making the cat change, we can see if we have any gains,. If not, then we'll move on to the O2 housing.

Our Wilson Manifolds car made 730 whp on the Buschur Mustang Dyno and that was with the 3" exhaust. I can't imagine a stock engine with a 2.5" exhaust (design excluded) would be that much restrictive. I realize that 2.5" is only one of the issues with design, muffler, cat and bends being the other important part of the equation. Still, 2.5" THEORETICALLY should carry 69% of the volume that a SIMILAR 3" would carry. Giving design of muffler and bends their due credit, the 2.5" should still carry at least 400-425 whp very easily, possibly more. If we change the cat to a less restrictive unit, we could be eliminating 50% of our problem, with the other 50% being in the O2. Only installing the 100 cell cat will give us the answers.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Tom,

Looking forward to seeing how much the MIL.SPEC 100 cell unit helps things. I know you will have plenty of data to go along with your conclusions
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

For all of the 91'ers out there, I'll be tuning a 91 octane car (the one I mentioned above). It already has the exhaust and porting, with a road pipe. It will be interesting to see if opening up the exhaust is of any benefit at this power level. Indy's street tune is on 93 and 26.5 psi. The logs I've read so far on the new car is 23 psi on 91, but an FP-White turbo, full exhaust, UICP, LICP, MBC, Custom tune and after market intake system. The logs show that at the track, Indy's car is definitely making more power. On the street, pre-mbc, Indy's car would be down by about 20 whp or so, but the mbc on the new car was at least 3 psi higher than stock. Tuning both cars should give us a few answers. I'm going to see if I can get he owner to let me tune it on 93 first, just to compare the logs to each other. Then I can scale it back for the 91. Hopefully, more to come for the guys wanting to stay with 91 octane.

added: I failed to mention that with an MBC set to 26.5 on Indy's street tune, the power level was higher than the 91 tuned car, which was also on an mbc but set to 23 psi using the FP White turbo and boltons. Interesting comparisons to be made.

Last edited by 9sec9; Jun 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks again Erik for getting the cat to Indy. We're both ready to get it tested. No doubt, we'll pick up some power over the stocker. If my hunch is correct, the cat and O2 housings are the 2 most important restrictions to get replaced.

Last edited by 9sec9; Jun 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome information 9sec9 - thanks a lot ! I look forward to your results with the exhaust.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Erik, as soon as I'm up and around I'll have the 100 cell cat welded up with an additional o2 bung for 9sec9 (yes sir, I listen).

I received the seals today tell Aby thanks, but still no clutch bummer

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jun 15, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
cool guys! cant wait to hear of the other guys results. maybe i could join in on the 11's party soon. depending on the results of the 100 cell cat i might just run one instead of the test pipe. at least it should help eliminate some of the smell lol
Old Jun 15, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo

I received the seals today tell Aby thanks, but still no clutch bummer
Bummer is right Jim

Do you know what the hold-up is
Old Jun 15, 2009, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Thats sick!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

WOW what an amazing car and tune! I thought I was doing good having about 315 on 91 with an intake, O2 housing, and a tbe with my tune. You guys are lower than me lol. But what an amazing car I dont think i have ever seen a pretty much stock car run that fast.

You will have that 11 sec pass i know you will. I read all 20 pages and you just get better and better. Great job tuning 9sec9 and you are one hell of a driver Indy!

9sec9 are you still willing to share some of your maps? what maps are you willing to share? How much taper are you guys having on boost up top? it seemed to lose a little bit up top but not much.

I am praying for you guys you will have it soon I know it!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

hey 9sec9, i have a o2 housing from BR sitting back home in mi, maybe i could get that some time in july for you guys...keep up the good work
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Bummer is right Jim

I ordered my QM back at the first of May and had to wait a few weeks due to the flywheels being back ordered.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 03:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Bummer is right Jim

It changes daily .

Originally Posted by evozmarine
hey 9sec9, i have a o2 housing from BR sitting back home in mi, maybe i could get that some time in july for you guys...keep up the good work
Thanks, but we found one on the for sale threads for around 40.00. I just can't bring myself to change anything untill we get everything out of our current set up.

Thanks guys , we are having plenty fun with the Low Buck Special "el Chepo Especial" (stolen from Pat Gahnal from Hot Rod Magizine. Sorry Pat, but it fit) .

If we were not for waiting on the clutch... day 6 and counting, we would be making passes today and tomorrow . Thanks, Indy

Update: I spoke with Quarter Master directly, it will ship today. They did not have a pressure plate to complete the kit last week and were not aware of the previous shipping arangements.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jun 17, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Two guys, two mods, and a tune... in the 11's